FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2012 · Camels, Gods, Dust, and Demons

Lightsearcher
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Camels, Gods, Dust, and Demons

Fantastic series, 1-2 and 3 are just outstanding.

Marcelo

Feb 23, 2013 at 12:21 PM
Sharona
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Camels, Gods, Dust, and Demons

These are really just stunning to look at. I love the colors, subtle processing, everything. Thanks for sharing.

Feb 26, 2013 at 10:41 AM
Sabemajeen

p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Camels, Gods, Dust, and Demons

I loved this set. It has shown many events, colors, and characters who play in their stories very well done, I enjoyed very much! Thanks.

Feb 27, 2013 at 08:27 PM
Jackal2854
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Camels, Gods, Dust, and Demons

Micheal,
I was in Pushkar a couple of weeks ago, so missed the camel fair. I can see I missed a great festival with many opportunities for some great captures.
All of your posted here are truly amazing; love them all.
Such a colorful place and friendly people; withna very few exceptions.
Thanks for sharing, really great work.
Carlos

Feb 27, 2013 at 09:27 PM
Dan Wagner
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Camels, Gods, Dust, and Demons

Michael, great photos! They make me very curious to know more about the people and their day to day lives. It looks like it would be a hard place for a Westerner to visit in terms of the creature comforts we're used to. How did you deal with things like hotel rooms, food, and bathrooms? Maybe I'm asking dumb questions, I have no idea. How much stuff, clothing, camera gear, etc did you bring? Did you have any equipment issues? How did you manage to convince customs to not charge you that 30 percent? Is it just a scam they try on visitors? Do you speak the language -- or do many people speak English? The people look friendly and like they don't mind having their photos taken. Were there lots of photographers at the festival? How did you manage with your "belly demons?" What medication did you take, how long did it last, and what do you recommend for avoiding or minimizing this type of problem? How is Pushkar different from other parts of India? Did the people at the festival or in other areas expect visitors/photographers to give them money? What is the dynamic between locals and comparatively wealthy visitors? What specific photographic techniques worked best for you? Wonderful photos!

Feb 28, 2013 at 07:47 AM
as75

p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Camels, Gods, Dust, and Demons

Hi Michael
Great set, captures the spirit of the region and people veryt well. Liked the shiva mini, medium n xxl very much. Sorry to hear about the demons. Thanks for sharing the images.

Regards
Arun

Feb 28, 2013 at 08:40 AM
RobWNY
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Camels, Gods, Dust, and Demons

Very much to like in your photos. A pleasure to view.

Feb 28, 2013 at 01:09 PM
Michael Sessio
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Camels, Gods, Dust, and Demons

Hi Dan,

100 people can go to India and have 100 wildly different experiences. Travel can be challenging, especially if you are on a shoestring budget, falling to the whims of clapped out buses, dodgy hotels, and unscrupulous touts. I've traveled in most budget brackets over the 14+ years I've been heading to India and can say from experience a $3 hotel in New Delhi isn't much of a bargain.

These days I spend around $25-$75 per night on hotel rooms and consider many of them to be great value and quite comfortable. In the off seasons you can get good rooms for steep discounts. The Paramount Inn that I stayed at in Pushkar would be less than $20 per night with great hot showers and a balcony overlooking a temple inhabited by monkeys.

I had a considerable amount of gear worth $$$$, and was traveling alone. Therefore I decided not to take any trains during my trip. Normally they are a great option but having to use the toilet and leaving my gear unattended just didn't seem like a risk worth taking. I ended up hiring a car and driver for all of my travel days. It's very affordable compared to most places, an 8 hour one way drop from New Delhi to Pushkar cost me around $120USD.

The customs encounter wasn't a scam, just a great example of bureaucracy run amok. I reckon I looked pitiful enough that they realised I was on the verge of jumping on a plane and heading straight back. No tourist dollars for mother India. I also provided ample evidence that I was indeed a professional photographer and not someone looking to peddle the gear for profit. This is the first time I've ever been stopped by customs in any country. The thing that really set them off was my 300 f/2.8 IS L when it went through the xray.

I don't speak Hindi, anywhere there are tourists there are loads of people who will speak english.

Pushkar during the camel fair is easily the most congested place with photographers than anywhere I've ever been, and it was still worth it. The festival is a nonstop photo opportunity where the locals are certainly used to having their pictures taken and have no problems asking for money, it's business for them. I'm mostly neutral about this, we're here to take pictures, oftentimes for profit or fame. I don't blame them for wanting to make a little money. If this isn't your thing, there are endless other destinations in India that haven't been overrun by tourists and photographers.

All my clothing and non photographic equipment would have easily fit in a small duffle bag.

During my stomach issues I was flat on my back for about 33 1/2 of 35 hours, no medication taken. I've been through situations like this enough times that I only considered it a minor nuisance for losing valuable shooting time. My only advice is to eat at places that appear to have good turnover with food. My mistake was eating a dish and a quiet tourist restaurant that probably wasn't ordered too often. Why throw an expired dish out when you have a tourist willing to pay for it and you likely won't ever see them again? This is India.

Aside from that I've eaten loads of street food with no ill affects.

People are generally very friendly in India. Women are shy and oftentimes more challenging to shoot. I tend to shoot with wider primes a lot of the time, especially the 35 f/1.4 L.

Hope this answers some questions.

Cheers!

Dan Wagner wrote:
Michael, great photos! They make me very curious to know more about the people and their day to day lives. It looks like it would be a hard place for a Westerner to visit in terms of the creature comforts we're used to. How did you deal with things like hotel rooms, food, and bathrooms? Maybe I'm asking dumb questions, I have no idea. How much stuff, clothing, camera gear, etc did you bring? Did you have any equipment issues? How did you manage to convince customs to not charge you that 30 percent? Is it just a scam
...Show more

Mar 01, 2013 at 10:14 AM
CMB Photo
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Camels, Gods, Dust, and Demons

Amazing. How did you get high for #13-14?
Good work!

Mar 08, 2013 at 11:58 AM
Michael Sessio
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Camels, Gods, Dust, and Demons

#13 & 14?

That was a carefully planned shot for me, not for the girl. I brought a 13' aluminum stand home and purchased a small ball head that I mounted to the top. I then used two pocket wizards to remote fire the camera while it was on top of the pole.

It took about 15 minutes of experimenting with the pole, trying different angles and elevations. I wanted a tight shot, shooting blind required me to capture about 500 frames before I decided I had what I wanted.

Mar 08, 2013 at 09:09 PM
maljo
• •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Camels, Gods, Dust, and Demons

Terrific images! Thanks for posting,
maljo

Mar 10, 2013 at 07:04 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.