Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · OMD-5 or NEX 6 or fuji x-e1 what to get

wil_ret
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · OMD-5 or NEX 6 or fuji x-e1 what to get

Thanks Kit,
I will audition the OMD and the Fuji.

Dec 20, 2012 at 01:06 AM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · OMD-5 or NEX 6 or fuji x-e1 what to get

At the end of the day, my ideal, single mirrorless camera (outside of the M9 that I'm currently using) would probably be the body of the X-E1, the OVF of the X100, the EVF of the NEX-6, the AF of the Nikon 1 series, the sensor of the NEX-7 (but with the GXR's sensor tuning,) the tilt LCD of the NEX-6, the weathersealing and ISIS of the OMD, the video of the GH3, and likely the upcoming Zeiss prime lenses for Fuji/NEX. Heck, throw in a fullframe sensor while we're at it!

When I look at everything together, the NEX-6 or NEX-7 would probably be my choice as the best combination of features, but you can't go wrong with any of them.

Dec 20, 2012 at 02:00 AM
flashinm
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · OMD-5 or NEX 6 or fuji x-e1 what to get

douglasf13 wrote:
At the end of the day, my ideal, single mirrorless camera (outside of the M9 that I'm currently using) would probably be the body of the X-E1, the OVF of the X100, the EVF of the NEX-6, the AF of the Nikon 1 series, the sensor of the NEX-7 (but with the GXR's sensor tuning,) the tilt LCD of the NEX-6, the weathersealing and ISIS of the OMD, the video of the GH3, and likely the upcoming Zeiss prime lenses for Fuji/NEX. Heck, throw in a fullframe sensor while we're at it!

When I look at everything together, the
...Show more

Can you make this please? You can sign up for one of those things where you pitch your idea and people invest in it. I'm in for $50.

Dec 20, 2012 at 02:20 AM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · OMD-5 or NEX 6 or fuji x-e1 what to get

douglasf13 wrote:

When I look at everything together, the
...Show more

Sometimes I feel like dwelling on all the ways we can imagine that our equipment could be improved gets in the way of enjoying what we have. (Don't take this wrong - I'm not pointing a finger at Douglas as for all I know he's loving his M9).

I'm standing by my original comment that these are all great cameras that in the right hands can take fantastic photos and I think the options we have available to us now are well beyond what I was expecting just a couple of years ago.

Dec 20, 2012 at 02:27 AM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · OMD-5 or NEX 6 or fuji x-e1 what to get

@ douglas: put me in for $100!

@ savingspaces: ergonomics is top of my list, perhaps even slightly higher than IQ. Now, we all have heard that the X-E1 is inferior for landscapes—but I have the DP2M for that. OTOH, for portraits and family-snaps occasions (how many of these tend to be low light?), the X-E1 rules and decent ergonomics (for me at least) means no fiddling, no distractions, and the special moment captured.

and @ Jeff: you are absolutely right there; Auto ISO set to 6400 For me, amazing: that was D3s-only territory only a year or two ago.

Dec 20, 2012 at 02:51 AM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · OMD-5 or NEX 6 or fuji x-e1 what to get

Jeff Kott wrote:
Sometimes I feel like dwelling on all the ways we can imagine that our equipment could be improved gets in the way of enjoying what we have. (Don't take this wrong - I'm not pointing a finger at Douglas as for all I know he's loving his M9).

I'm standing by my original comment that these are all great cameras that in the right hands can take fantastic photos and I think the options we have available to us now are well beyond what I was expecting just a couple of years ago.

Definitely, Jeff. That was kind of my point in making that post. We can go round and round about which camera is better, but they're mostly similar and good, with just a few features separating them.

And, yep, I'm still loving the M9. I'm not actually interested in buying other mirrorless cameras anymore, although I still like talking about them.

Dec 20, 2012 at 04:04 AM
sorney1
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · OMD-5 or NEX 6 or fuji x-e1 what to get

douglasf13 wrote:
I'd say m4/3, Fuji, Nex and NX all offer enough lenses for most users, at this point. FWIW, none of them are DSLRs.

I certainly wouldn't hesitate to buy a NEX for this reason. you may not be able to get what you want today, but it probably will show up shortly.

Dec 20, 2012 at 06:39 PM
Weasel_Loader
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · OMD-5 or NEX 6 or fuji x-e1 what to get

I'll chime in quick having owned OM-D and now X-E1.

Both are excellent cameras. Can't go wrong with both as most have expressed.

If you need speed, get the OM-D.

I like the IQ and overall handling of X-E1 better. Speed wasn't a factor for me, so I'm much more comfortable having the X-E1 now. Only thing I really miss from the OM-D was the tilting screen.

Dec 20, 2012 at 08:31 PM
gotak
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · OMD-5 or NEX 6 or fuji x-e1 what to get

Price might be part of the equation. So consider that as well. M4/3 seems to have an edge there but of course OP didn't mention price as an issue.

I have the O-MD. Great deal over black friday so couldn't resist. Much smaller than the 7D and L lenses I have. Which make it great for carrying everyday for capturing everything.

So far I am really happy about it. I like that it's still similar enough to a DLSR that I don't have to relearn majority of my motor skills when it comes to controls.

There was some comments about sizes and ergonomics. A lot of these mirrorless are not going to feel as easy to grip as full DSLRs. For a lot of people coming from full sized systems it must feel strange. But do remember that most of the time on any camera the lens is where we hold most of the weight. So while these tiny cameras don't feel as secure due to the lack of a full hand grip. In reality it's not as big a deal as it might seem. Most of it is just a feeling in the mind. The exception being if you are using a really thin lens like a pan cake.

Dec 21, 2012 at 05:29 AM
NikonDeb
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · OMD-5 or NEX 6 or fuji x-e1 what to get

I went over the same question for months before deciding on the EM5. Main reason-lens choices. And..I have never regretted it. I absolutely love it. I just got the 35-100 and it rocks! Used it as my 2nd camera on a corporate shoot. A friend just bought one with the 100-300mm and shot the Stones in NJ last week and you can't tell that they aren't with a "pro" body. I carry it with me everywhere.

Dec 22, 2012 at 04:35 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

h00ligan
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · OMD-5 or NEX 6 or fuji x-e1 what to get

Whatever the choice for me..having bought an rx1 for a specific purpose. If I was looking for a small kit I'd want hybrid af.

Doesn't the nex 6 have cdaf/pdaf? And a whole host of zeiss on the way?

Dec 22, 2012 at 05:33 AM
edwinIII
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · OMD-5 or NEX 6 or fuji x-e1 what to get

I have been thinking about these three cameras myself and following this thread closely. My main system has been a canon 5D2 with the 24-105, 100macro and 24 TS mainly used for landscape. While the image quality is nice, it is not the ideal setup for backpacking. Then came along the DP1/2 Merrill's. Incredible quality for landscape work, but not the best on the go cameras. My current thought is maybe the DP Merrills and NEX 6 with the new 10-18 and the upcoming zeiss lens (trio of 24, 32 and 50macro) could replace the bigger 5D2 kit. Although, the user experience (which I value) of the X-E1 is very tempting.....

Dec 22, 2012 at 08:14 PM
bimmer_man
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · OMD-5 or NEX 6 or fuji x-e1 what to get

I was in the same situation a last week. Decided to go with Fuji XF because of the rave reviews on jpegs, sensor, low light performance and the look. I bought an X1Pro and 18mm on x'mas eve as a gift for myself. Played with it for a few days and ended up exchanging it for the XE1 w/zoom. The Xpro1 is amazing, love the feel, love the look, love everything about it but I couldn't get used to the OVF. The focusing wasn't as reliable as I would like unless I used the EVF. For what I am looking for I decided that the XE1 would be better. Cost wise, better EVF and more versatile right off the bat because of the 18-55mm. At some point I will buy an Xpro1 body but for now I am in love with the XE1, only gripe is the size. I will be ordering the optional grip to make it a little bulkier.

I am truly impressed with the jpegs coming straight out of the camera and it's low light performance. The pictures I did take with the Xpro1 (same as XE1) on Xmas eve in a dimly lit restaurant turned out amazing.

These pictures were taken wide open at iso1600 straight out of the camera resized with ACDSee.

© bimmer_man 2012

X-Pro1    18mm    f/2.0    1/3s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

© bimmer_man 2012

X-Pro1    18mm    f/2.0    1/4s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

© bimmer_man 2012

X-Pro1    18mm    f/2.0    1/15s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

© bimmer_man 2012

Should have stopped down an little 2.8? , focus point was middle of the plate.

X-Pro1    18mm    f/2.0    1/13s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

Dec 28, 2012 at 06:16 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · OMD-5 or NEX 6 or fuji x-e1 what to get

Jeff Kott wrote:
Personally, I still think how the ergonomics of each of these cameras feels to you is a more significant factor than the differences in lens selection or image quality.

m4/3 has an awesome lens selection, but unless there is some highly specialized need, I think one can be covered by the NEX lenses currently available or that will be available in the next few months.

savingspaces wrote:
Right! For most, the kit lens will never be removed from the camera.

May the Camera gods have pity on their poor decrepit misguided souls!

On µ4/3 anyway with only a few exceptions the native lens selection is a drab and uneventful journey into mediocridom. I hear it's even worse on Sony - but then again someone just today said "it's shaping up on Sony lately" so I guess that at least means there's one or two good ones from among the 10 or 12 available.

From what I've seen if you want awesome images with interesting "character" on either µ4/3 or Sony you have to adapt alts. Again with a few exceptions often noted here at FM... And I wanna say the same thing for fun-to-use high build quality lenses too! Only like two or so native µ4/3 lenses are cool enough to actually be fun. Of course that's not counting the two Voigtlander models so I guess we can boost that up to a whopping four!

Dec 28, 2012 at 07:25 AM
savingspaces
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · OMD-5 or NEX 6 or fuji x-e1 what to get

I am not sure what you use and I'm not here to defend MU4/3 but to say only a "few exception" is plain ignorant. Just saying.

Visit www.mu43.com and you will see more than a few excellent lens offerings.

Bifurcator wrote:

On µ4/3 anyway with only a few exceptions the native lens selection is a drab and uneventful journey into mediocridom. I hear it's even worse on Sony - but then again someone just today said "it's shaping up on Sony lately" so I guess that at least means there's one or two good ones from among the 10 or 12 available.

From what I've seen if you want awesome images with interesting "character" on either µ4/3 or Sony you have to adapt alts. Again with a few exceptions often
...Show more

Dec 28, 2012 at 09:14 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · OMD-5 or NEX 6 or fuji x-e1 what to get

I use µ4/3.

And no, that's not ignorance. That's connoisseurism. It's also just good old plain comparative analysis!

Sorry if that offends anyone but it's true. And I guess most people here know it.

Which isn't hard to understand really - there are a lot of connoisseurs here at FM after all.

I guess not so many at www.mu43.com huh?

Jeff Kott wrote:
Personally, I still think how the ergonomics of each of these cameras feels to you is a more significant factor than the differences in lens selection or image quality.

m4/3 has an awesome lens selection, but unless there is some highly specialized need, I think one can be covered by the NEX lenses currently available or that will be available in the next few months.

savingspaces wrote:
Right! For most, the kit lens will never be removed from the camera.

Bifurcator wrote:

From what I've seen if you want awesome images with interesting "character" on either µ4/3 or Sony you have to adapt alts. Again with a few exceptions often
...Show more
savingspaces wrote:
I am not sure what you use and I'm not here to defend MU4/3 but to say only a "few exception" is plain ignorant. Just saying.

Visit www.mu43.com and you will see more than a few excellent lens offerings.

Dec 28, 2012 at 03:17 PM
kevindar
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · OMD-5 or NEX 6 or fuji x-e1 what to get

I have a 5N with a viewfinder as my second camera, my main one being a 5d3. I liked the larger sensor for the effective extra stop of light and DOF control. the sony 35 1.8 oss, and 50 1.8 oss both seem to be great lenses, and the 10-18 f4 oss has gotten good reviews so far. essentially, sony has the lenses that I would likely use with their system. As my second camera, I dont need everything covered. I will not be doing wildlife or birding with it.

Dec 28, 2012 at 04:32 PM
frezeiss
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · OMD-5 or NEX 6 or fuji x-e1 what to get

Actually the NEX series is quite good no nonsense, bell & whistle camera.. the 5R and 5N version is quite good for street shooting and adapting manual focus lenses. The native lens selection is quite good. You dont have to cover the whole range with this kind of camera.

The Fuji is unique for its IQ and looks, its a camera that kind of inspire you to frequently shoot with it. The only downside for me is no flip screen!

I have no extensive experience on the OMD so I wont comment on that.

Dec 28, 2012 at 04:39 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · OMD-5 or NEX 6 or fuji x-e1 what to get

Yeah, I probably shouldn't have said anything about the Sony cuz I really don't know. But of the first... ummm, 5 or 6 lenses Sony released for it almost everyone with large system experience said they were pretty much total crap. The posts large enough to tell or the 100% crops I saw eliminated any doubt in the truth to those claims. But then I stopped tracking Sony lenses all together and at about that time it came to my attention there were Zeiss offerings for it. What's happened since is actually unknown to me but I thought I would poke a little fun at the system anyway.

On µ4/3 I've only been impressed with 2 or 3 native (Oly/Pana) lenses and only one of those exhibits any actual "character" at all. The lions share of the rest fall into the very bland characterless but "pretty good" category. And then there are the two Voigtlander lenses which I haven't seen enough of to know but assume that they have to be great - I mean they're voigtlander and they're really fast... right? A few pana lenses look better than they actually are with the in-camera cheating, err, I mean enhancements and corrections, that Panasonic saw fit to add in. But even then they often show their true colors anyway.

So while I was partially kidding via some assumptions, about the Sony line-up the percentage of µ4/3 lenses which in terms of character and overall IQ, come even close to sets like that of the Zeiss C/Y, Leica, Voigtlander, Canon L, the better Pentax lenses both M42 and K, the OM system line-up, Tamron SP, Tokina AT-X, or some of the better Minolta models either MD or AF... is very close to zero! Not zero, but very close. And these lenses very often carry a MSRP higher than that of much better or same grade lenses for Nikon, Canon, and Pentax that I know of. IMO it's pretty much a case of extreme ridiculousness when all things are considered - taking in the big picture so to speak. And it's not the format either because I can adapt those mentioned above and they either retain the character they're known for or offer a slightly different yet just as unique one. While I can still notice these things most of the time in web-sized images the differences are quite profound when printed large or when viewed at close to 100%. The advent of higher density sensors additionally hides more when the images are scaled too - so it's more common now than it was to look at a web sized scale and think the lens is good - or at least better than it actually is.

I dig the little µ4/3 bodies most of them, but the lens line-up? Nah, no fun, no character, only convenience is there with no need for adapters, IS in the Pana ones, and of course AF for the non Voigtlanders. At least for the majority of available offerings that really is the case IMHO.

Dec 28, 2012 at 06:54 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · OMD-5 or NEX 6 or fuji x-e1 what to get

Bifurcator wrote:
Yeah, I probably shouldn't have said anything about the Sony cuz I really don't know. But of the first... ummm, 5 or 6 lenses Sony released for it almost everyone with large system experience said they were pretty much total crap. The posts large enough to tell or the 100% crops I saw eliminated any doubt in the truth to those claims. But then I stopped tracking Sony lenses all together and at about that time it came to my attention there were Zeiss offerings for it. What's happened since is actually unknown to me but I thought I would
...Show more

I've not seen anything to indicate that the Sony/Zeiss 24/1.8, Sony 35/1.8, Sony 50/1.8, Sony 10-18, Sigma 19 or Sigma 30 are anywhere near crap on NEX. Who is saying that??

Dec 28, 2012 at 07:55 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password