Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       5       end

Archive 2012 · Fuji GSW690III

andyjaggy82
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Fuji GSW690III

Interesting comparison for anyone who wants to look.

http://kbesios.com/blog/2012/10/18/nikon-d800e-vs-6x9-medium-format-film-part-iii/

To me it looks like the D800 and 6X9 are very comparable in the amount of detail captured. The grain on the film is pretty heavy, he states himself it seemed worse than usual. I would imagine with slide film and a drum scan the 6x9 would actually pull ahead of the D800. Though with more rigorous shooting constraints and a better lens the D800 would be better as well, so in the end they would still be pretty close.

Dec 18, 2012 at 07:01 PM
Krosavcheg
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Fuji GSW690III

From what I know, the rangefinders will require a service after a large amount of shots taken. $50 for GSW sounds like a sweet deal - they are going for about $400 here in Japan.

Personally I love shooting with my GW690 ProIII. Hope you will have tons of fun with yours.

Some samples:

Dec 19, 2012 at 02:13 PM
michael49
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Fuji GSW690III

^ - Nice, love that first one.

Dec 19, 2012 at 02:20 PM
Krosavcheg
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Fuji GSW690III

Cheers mate!
First got a bit ruined but for the better. Fuji rolls got pins to fasten film, but Kodak and Ilford rolls don't..I was shooting portra 800 night before and Velvia loaded after slipped a little resulting in roll being loose..damaged quite a few shots..

Dec 19, 2012 at 02:22 PM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Fuji GSW690III

Nice shots.

Dec 19, 2012 at 02:54 PM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Fuji GSW690III

Just ordered a whole bunch of provia and reala, camera comes Friday. I'm taking a trip to Canyonlands next week, I can't decide if I dare take a new camera I am unfamiliar with or if I should stick with my 7D for the trip.

Dec 19, 2012 at 05:56 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Fuji GSW690III

I recall reading that 500 rolls was the time to have the body serviced.....500 MF rolls is a serious amount of MF use with this type of camera used carefully....I guess 'happy snappers' don't buy this sort of kit anyway!!

Dec 19, 2012 at 06:05 PM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Fuji GSW690III

True. I would estimate that's probably at least 5 years of use for me, possibly more. I imagine going through an average of a roll a week, especially considering I am still going to be using my dslr as well.

Dec 19, 2012 at 06:16 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Fuji GSW690III

If I had one of these I would keep it for 'special'...that is, if there was something I had previously photographed digitally and wanted to do better...that is when I would use it...tripod, spot meter...the works.

And PanF of course (for me)! I have used PanF with a 6 X 4.5 camera......people knock the Epson V700 but the A3 prints I got from this combo were quite lovely.....I can only speculate what the Fuji negs would produce!! Far better than any digital set up I can afford!

Dec 19, 2012 at 08:48 PM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Fuji GSW690III

Krosavcheg wrote:
Cheers mate!
First got a bit ruined but for the better. Fuji rolls got pins to fasten film, but Kodak and Ilford rolls don't..I was shooting portra 800 night before and Velvia loaded after slipped a little resulting in roll being loose..damaged quite a few shots..

I always had problems with loose rolls when shooting my GSW690. Always happened when I changed brands, from Fuji to Kodak or Ilford. Never understood why this happened.

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

sirimiri
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Fuji GSW690III

After two rolls slipped on me, I always make sure to apply light pressure to the takeup spool and the accumulating paper. Also I have to make sure the paper's rolled diameter on the takeup spool is fully "compacted" otherwise the gathered film and paper backing end up with a diameter that is greater than that of the spool and suddenly you notice it upon opening the swing back. By then, it's too late as if I can see the halides, the halides can see me.

Until I became confident about proper spool loading on the Fuji, I always placed it in a dark bag when removing film. The deliberate way one shoots with a big 6x9 means losing those shots is (was) a serious disappointment. :-(

This slippage never happened to me on Mamiya rangefinders, for whatever reason.
Go figure.

Dec 20, 2012 at 03:45 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Fuji GSW690III

I never had problems with film slipping on my GW670II or GSW690II. When loading a new roll, I'd use light pressure from my left thumb to keep a little drag on the left spool holding the roll film, while winding the start of the film onto the right spool. I'm pretty sure I read a hint somewhere about doing this. Anyway, it seemed to work well.

Dec 20, 2012 at 04:40 AM
Krosavcheg
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Fuji GSW690III

Andy, cheers.
The camera is dead easy to operate. I actually haven't played with it prior to taking up in the field and first shots were my learning shots with the camera, so to say. Then again, I shot film since I was about 6yo..
Your 7D can provide a good light meter. In fact, I am presently using iPhone app, but before getting one I used my EOS to meter. So you will be safe!..

Actually, these is first ever shots with my GW690 III:

Yeah, in regard to film Kodak always slips on me. No matter how carefully I load. Last time 2 Kodak rolls in the row slipped and got completely destroyed on the RZ67. So I am sticking with Fuji and Ilford now.
Ilford stays put and so does Fuji with exception of Astia 220 rolls - they are thicker than 120 (obviously) so I have to be extra careful when loading.

Edited on Dec 20, 2012 at 06:16 AM · View previous versions

Dec 20, 2012 at 04:50 AM
Krosavcheg
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Fuji GSW690III

One thing that I constantly fail to remember though is to switch the type of film using the dial on top of the camera - 4 - 8 - 16 exposures. Very easy to ruin a roll if you shoot a variety on a same day...

Dec 20, 2012 at 04:58 AM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Fuji GSW690III

And don't forget that the pressure plate slides via spring. Grab all the 220 you can. Cock the shutter gently and only right before the shot.

Dec 20, 2012 at 06:04 AM
Krosavcheg
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Fuji GSW690III

Damn I hate myself for entering this thread!! I just packed RZ67 for Sweden and now I have sudden urge to take 690!!!

Dec 20, 2012 at 06:09 AM
corposant
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Fuji GSW690III

andyjaggy82 wrote:
Just ordered a whole bunch of provia and reala, camera comes Friday. I'm taking a trip to Canyonlands next week, I can't decide if I dare take a new camera I am unfamiliar with or if I should stick with my 7D for the trip.

Velvia would be nice for Canyonlands.

Take it with you - aside from the camera being a double stroke, I'm not really sure what the learning curve would be. Just try not to take too many pictures of the inside of the lens cap and you'll be fine.

Dec 20, 2012 at 06:34 AM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Fuji GSW690III

jcolwell wrote:
I never had problems with film slipping on my GW670II or GSW690II. When loading a new roll, I'd use light pressure from my left thumb to keep a little drag on the left spool holding the roll film, while winding the start of the film onto the right spool. I'm pretty sure I read a hint somewhere about doing this. Anyway, it seemed to work well.

I did all that and I still got loose rolls, IF i changed brands of film. I never had problems if I kept shooting Fuji or Kodak or whatever. But as soon as I changed a brand, then the next roll would be loose enough for major light leaks. The next roll would be fine.

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:50 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Fuji GSW690III

I don't quite understand this problem description... Light leaks? How should the brand of film and take-up spool be able to affect the tightness of the light seals?

Or do you mean that the film would be wound so loosely when done that light would seep in at the edges?

Dec 20, 2012 at 11:19 AM
Krosavcheg
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Fuji GSW690III

carstenw wrote:
Or do you mean that the film would be wound so loosely when done that light would seep in at the edges?

That is precisely the case.

Dec 20, 2012 at 11:49 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password