Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Photoshop 6 - suddenly a trail of the extended version

gregfountain
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Photoshop 6 - suddenly a trail of the extended version

So I opened an image in Photoshop six this morning only to find a box that popped up telling my I am using a trail version of the "extended" version, along with an option to sign up for the monthly subscription. WTF? I never downloaded this version. I am completely happy with my licensed version of PS6. 3D? What?

Anyone else get this surprise? And if so, have you found a way to get rid of it?

Thanks,

Greg

Dec 17, 2012 at 03:14 PM
MBlumer

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Photoshop 6 - suddenly a trail of the extended version

I experienced exactly the same problem yesterday. I think the Adobe Updater created the issue. I tried an on-line chat with tech support and he was useless. He finally gave me the phone number for USA tech support and 1/2 hour later the problem was corrected. What the agent had me do was to open several Adobe folders in my Mac library and change the permissions. Then I had to re-apply my serial number (luckily I was able to get it from my Adobe account) and essentially re-authorize my CS6 program!! It was a fun filled half hour but now it works fine.

Dec 17, 2012 at 03:32 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Photoshop 6 - suddenly a trail of the extended version

Just got off the online chat. Luckily, I had a better tech and he walked my through the process which is:

When the dialog box opens after launching CS6, click on "license this software." Login to your Adobe account, and when it asks for the serial number, enter the the one provided for Adobe for CS6. I don't know if he did anything on the back end, but once I entered the serial, closed photoshop and relaunched it, it came back as what I had yesterday.

I think they launched this "update" to try to coax people into signing up for the monthly subscription. Pretty damned sneaky if you ask me.

Dec 17, 2012 at 03:54 PM
BluesWest
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Photoshop 6 - suddenly a trail of the extended version

I think they launched this "update" to try to coax people into signing up for the monthly subscription. Pretty damned sneaky if you ask me.

"Sneaky" is not the word I'd use. More like "sleazy" - and totally in character for Adobe as a company.

John

Dec 17, 2012 at 05:56 PM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Photoshop 6 - suddenly a trail of the extended version

Photoshop checks in with the the activation servers every time you run the program, yours is one of many reasons to stop this behavior by redirecting the Adobe servers to the local machine. DRM crap only harms legitimate users like you. Adobe should write a check to you for spending time fixing their broken software.

Dec 17, 2012 at 09:23 PM
DIS Ottawa
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Photoshop 6 - suddenly a trail of the extended version

It happened to me too. I spent an hour at least with on-line chat and in the end the tech had me download an app to let him see my screen. He went through a number of files and changed the permission settings which fixed the problem.

This happened after an update to Lightroom. The tech swore that nothing extra was downloaded but I'm not convinced. He also wouldn't speculate as to what caused this odd behavior but insisted it wasn't Adobe's fault. Since I changed nothing from one day to the next, this seems unlikely.

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:39 PM
colinm
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Photoshop 6 - suddenly a trail of the extended version

How long have you had CS6? This is one of the things they changed in recent versions to (ineffectually) combat piracy—Photoshop no longer checks that your activation is valid at install time. It will merrily accept a license key that appears valid, only to blow up on you later and drop into a trial "grace period" when it finally decides to phone home and verify your license.

Dec 17, 2012 at 11:39 PM
DIS Ottawa
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Photoshop 6 - suddenly a trail of the extended version

Since a couple of weeks after it became available. Also, why would it suddenly switch to a trial version of Ps Extended when I had the basic version?

Dec 17, 2012 at 11:47 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Photoshop 6 - suddenly a trail of the extended version

DIS Ottawa wrote:
Since a couple of weeks after it became available. Also, why would it suddenly switch to a trial version of Ps Extended when I had the basic version?

Yes. This is the question. I have had CS6 since I upgraded version 5 back in June and this just happened this morning. The tech I chatted with wouldn't (or couldn't) say why it suddenly appeared after the updater did it's thing.

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:05 AM
philtax
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Photoshop 6 - suddenly a trail of the extended version

gregfountain wrote:
Just got off the online chat. Luckily, I had a better tech and he walked my through the process which is:

When the dialog box opens after launching CS6, click on "license this software." Login to your Adobe account, and when it asks for the serial number, enter the the one provided for Adobe for CS6. I don't know if he did anything on the back end, but once I entered the serial, closed photoshop and relaunched it, it came back as what I had yesterday.

I think they launched this "update" to try to coax people into signing up for the
...Show more

Thanks for the tip Greg. I had the same problem and the method you described worked perfectly. I had called Adobe earlier and was told that I'd have to uninstall PS and reinstall it. Glad I didn't have to go through that!

Phil

Dec 18, 2012 at 05:21 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Photoshop 6 - suddenly a trail of the extended version

philtax wrote:
Thanks for the tip Greg. I had the same problem and the method you described worked perfectly. I had called Adobe earlier and was told that I'd have to uninstall PS and reinstall it. Glad I didn't have to go through that!

Phil

Cool!

Dec 18, 2012 at 07:41 AM
philtax
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Photoshop 6 - suddenly a trail of the extended version

gregfountain wrote:
Cool!

Or so I thought...Today I opened PS again and got the same message. Signed in again and went through the registration process again and it worked as normal. I won't be happy if I have to do this every time I open PS.

Dec 18, 2012 at 05:02 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Photoshop 6 - suddenly a trail of the extended version

Dang it. Same here. I'm going to try a different route....I am going to try to restore back to the day before the mysterious upgrade and then ignore the Updater.

Dec 18, 2012 at 08:32 PM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Photoshop 6 - suddenly a trail of the extended version

To make Adobe think you on not on the web and able to check activation PM me for the 4 servers Photoshop logs on to every time you launch the program. Block them and your problems will go away. I'm assuming you have a fully licensed copy.

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:19 AM
philtax
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Photoshop 6 - suddenly a trail of the extended version

It would be a good idea to memorize your S/N. It appears to persist for some folks even after uninstalling and reinstalling. See the linked Adobe Forum thead. Apparently if you reinstall and only update through version 13.01 the problem goes away. You then need to make sure that preferences are not set to automatically update. Otherwise it will update to 13.02 and you'll be back in the soup.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4923960

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:31 AM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Photoshop 6 - suddenly a trail of the extended version

I was able to restore back to a few days ago and am now back to 13.01, so now I need to figure out how to stop the auto updater.....

Dec 19, 2012 at 01:34 AM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Photoshop 6 - suddenly a trail of the extended version

Okay, on a mac, go to spotlight and type "updater" (no quotes) and click on the application. Click preferences and uncheck the "auto update" box. Sorry if you all already know this, I had to dig around to find it! Anyway, I guess I will know tomorrow. What sucks is, if they put out an update with important bug fixes, I'm stuck. Well, unless they fix THAT bug......

Dec 19, 2012 at 01:38 AM
Lee Saxon
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Photoshop 6 - suddenly a trail of the extended version

colinm wrote:
...to (ineffectually) combat piracy...only to blow up on you later...

Seems like it's not ineffectual if it stopped you.

Dec 19, 2012 at 08:27 AM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Photoshop 6 - suddenly a trail of the extended version

So....so far, going backwards in time (on the Mac's time machine), then resetting the auto updates to off, is working....

Dec 19, 2012 at 10:49 PM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Photoshop 6 - suddenly a trail of the extended version

Lee Saxon wrote:
Seems like it's not ineffectual if it stopped you.

Ineffectual because pirates don't have to deal with activation. Only the paying customers get bit by the drm crud.

Dec 19, 2012 at 11:12 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password