Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · EOS shutter count pain in the ass to get it to work.
jaybird555
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · EOS shutter count pain in the ass to get it to work.

I have tried every which way to install and make this program work right on a Mark 4. It took my money from paypal and I did not show any shutter count, (It shows count available, but no count) The problem is there's no simple instructions for this program, is there any other programs that I can use to get a shutter count on a Mark 4. Thanks in advance,

Jay

Edited on Dec 21, 2012 at 02:00 AM · View previous versions

Dec 17, 2012 at 03:16 AM
mitesh
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · EOS shutter count pain in the ass to get it to work.

Jay,

Sorry to hear you're having problems with it. I have never used it so unfortunately can't help. As for getting an accurate shutter count, I've read several times on this forum that the various software programs aren't exact; the only way to get an accurate shutter count is to send it in to Canon. I know that's not what you want to hear, but if the count is really important to you, then you might keep that in mind when using any 3rd party software program.

Dec 17, 2012 at 03:50 AM
jaybird555
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · EOS shutter count pain in the ass to get it to work.

mitesh wrote:
Jay,

Sorry to hear you're having problems with it. I have never used it so unfortunately can't help. As for getting an accurate shutter count, I've read several times on this forum that the various software programs aren't exact; the only way to get an accurate shutter count is to send it in to Canon. I know that's not what you want to hear, but if the count is really important to you, then you might keep that in mind when using any 3rd party software program.

Thanks for your reply.

Dec 17, 2012 at 04:01 AM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · EOS shutter count pain in the ass to get it to work.

If it's the same program I got for the 5D II, it was fairly easy to install and use. What problems are you having?

Dec 17, 2012 at 04:09 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · EOS shutter count pain in the ass to get it to work.

I couldn't get any of them to work properly and got nonsense numbers. However, I got a close estimate by counting the files from that camera in Aperture. I'm the original owner and don't toss many files so it's at least in the ball park.

Dec 17, 2012 at 04:35 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · EOS shutter count pain in the ass to get it to work.

jaybird555 wrote:
I have tried every which way to install and make this program to work right. It took my money from paypal and I did not any shutter count.The problem is there's no simple instructions for this program, is there any programs that I can use to get a shutter count

It depends on what camera and whether you are using Mac or Windows.

Dec 17, 2012 at 05:33 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · EOS shutter count pain in the ass to get it to work.

jaybird555 wrote:
I have tried every which way to install and make this program to work right. It took my money from paypal and I did not any shutter count.The problem is there's no simple instructions for this program, is there any programs that I can use to get a shutter count

you need to have your camera connected to the computer by USB and then it will run the program itself online when you pay and report the count

however, a better way now is to simply get magic lantern firmware, load it and then it tells you the count (both regular shutter clicks and liveview/movie mode clicks), free (for early alphas for some models you need to become a donator, but it is not much and may as well put money to that instead), reliable

Dec 17, 2012 at 05:37 AM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · EOS shutter count pain in the ass to get it to work.

skibum5 wrote:
you need to have your camera connected to the computer by USB and then it will run the program itself online when you pay and report the count

however, a better way now is to simply get magic lantern firmware, load it and then it tells you the count (both regular shutter clicks and liveview/movie mode clicks), free (for early alphas for some models you need to become a donator, but it is not much and may as well put money to that instead), reliable

I've used eoscount (when it was free) once connected with IE browser (with Active X) and Win 7 it worked fine

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:50 AM
jaybird555
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · EOS shutter count pain in the ass to get it to work.

skibum5 wrote:

Mark 4 is not supported.

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:09 AM
spdntrxi
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · EOS shutter count pain in the ass to get it to work.

I worked for my 1DIV when I sold it... I dont know if it was exactly right, but it was pretty close to the number I had in Lightroom..

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · EOS shutter count pain in the ass to get it to work.

Works fine for the 1D MK IV.

Which cameras are supported for shutter count retrieval?

Single-DIGIC III, all DIGIC IV, and some DIGIC V EOS cameras are supported. For example, shutter count can be read from the
•Rebel XS / 1000D / Kiss F
•Rebel XSi / 450D / Kiss X2
•Rebel T1i / 500D / Kiss X3
•Rebel T2i / 550D / Kiss X4
•Rebel T3 / 1100D / Kiss X50
•Rebel T3i / 600D / Kiss X5
•Rebel T4i / 650D / Kiss X6i
•40D
•50D
•60D
•7D
•5D Mark II
•5D Mark III
•1D Mark IV
•1D X

DIGIC II and dual DIGIC III cameras are not supported. For example, shutter count is not available for the original 5D (Mark I), the 1D Mark III, and the 1Ds Mark III.

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:43 AM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · EOS shutter count pain in the ass to get it to work.

I know people get tired of me saying this but (1) shutter count as a measure of a camera's worth and value is extremely over rated, and (2) according to my Canon lab rat source in Irvine only Canon can actually tell you how many clicks the newer cameras have. Newer as in 1DIII forward. This has been confirmed by other Canon techs I've worked with. Send it in for a CLA and request the count. Only way to actually know.

Robert

Dec 20, 2012 at 01:22 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · EOS shutter count pain in the ass to get it to work.

OntheRez wrote:
I know people get tired of me saying this but (1) shutter count as a measure of a camera's worth and value is extremely over rated, and (2) according to my Canon lab rat source in Irvine only Canon can actually tell you how many clicks the newer cameras have. Newer as in 1DIII forward. This has been confirmed by other Canon techs I've worked with. Send it in for a CLA and request the count. Only way to actually know.

Robert

1. Magic Lantern seems to be able to do it and it reports more or less the same value as EOSCount.

2. So long as the counts are not radically different you are probably correct. First you might get an outlier one way or the other and the shutter count gives no hint about that at all. Second, if a camera is rated to avg of 125,000 what does 5,000 count vs. 10,000 count vs 25,000 really mean? Just 15,000-20,000 difference of out 125,000 and it is totally within avg lifetime common margin of error on top of that. OTOH 8,000 vs say 70,000 is potentially significant, chances are you would get enough more life out of the first one to notice (of course it is not guaranteed though and the 8,000 count might have a crappy shutter and fails at 18,000 and the 70,000 might go to 225,000, but on avg you'd probably get to use the first one at least somewhat longer even if maybe not 60,000 longer).

Dec 20, 2012 at 07:33 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · EOS shutter count pain in the ass to get it to work.

spdntrxi wrote:
I worked for my 1DIV when I sold it... I dont know if it was exactly right, but it was pretty close to the number I had in Lightroom..

I think he meant ML does't work for the 1D4.

Dec 20, 2012 at 07:33 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · EOS shutter count pain in the ass to get it to work.

OntheRez wrote:

Robert

To me the shutter count of a camera is like the milage of a car - I would never buy a used one without knowing it! Astrojargon gave me a fairly accurate number of my 5D II camera - it doesn't need to be absolutely exact, but close enough (I was able to compare with my numbered files). Do you think that camera stores which buy used cameras are not checking the shutter count before selling them? Of course they do - unfortunately many don't like to give this information to the customer.

Dec 20, 2012 at 07:43 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · EOS shutter count pain in the ass to get it to work.

Astrojargons "eosinfo" works perfect with my 40D and 5D MK II. It is for free and you may donate if you like to.

http://astrojargon.net/EOSInfo.aspx

Ralph

Dec 20, 2012 at 07:53 PM
jaybird555
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · EOS shutter count pain in the ass to get it to work.

There is currently an intermittent problem with Vista with this program.

Dec 21, 2012 at 02:09 AM
jaybird555
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · EOS shutter count pain in the ass to get it to work.

UPDATE: Problem solved, Windows 7 used, shutter count worked.

Dec 21, 2012 at 03:16 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · EOS shutter count pain in the ass to get it to work.

retrofocus wrote:
To me the shutter count of a camera is like the milage of a car - I would never buy a used one without knowing it! Astrojargon gave me a fairly accurate number of my 5D II camera - it doesn't need to be absolutely exact, but close enough (I was able to compare with my numbered files). Do you think that camera stores which buy used cameras are not checking the shutter count before selling them? Of course they do - unfortunately many don't like to give this information to the customer.

Except the shutter count gets reset when the shutter is replaced. So you may really not know the age or use of the camera in any event....

Dec 21, 2012 at 08:06 AM
WarrenL
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · EOS shutter count pain in the ass to get it to work.

retrofocus

Also bear in mind that cameras used for video production, like 5Dmk2, as a used camera may have a low shutter count, but may have more hours on the sensor than a 5Dmk2 used as a still camera.

Dec 21, 2012 at 09:22 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password