Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · If Adobe goes cloud only ??

buggz2k
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · If Adobe goes cloud only ??

Adobe please read this:
do *NOT* go cloud only!
I will drop you in a heartbeat!
I will never trust, nor use cloud!

Dec 17, 2012 at 04:45 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · If Adobe goes cloud only ??

Its rather simple, I will keep using what I have. I sorta doubt there is anything more to invent, even very old PhotoShop or PS Elements can do pretty much everything I need.

And if there will be time when it will be outdated, I will simply find next usable software.

Paying fee isnt option.

Dec 17, 2012 at 04:58 PM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · If Adobe goes cloud only ??

Simple question. How many of us need more than what CS6 offers, especially if we use LR or DNG converter to keep up to date? I'm personally still on CS5, don't like the new raw processing engine and don't need any of the newer stuff in CS6. A decision I made after trialling it for a couple of weeks. If they do go to the cloud with their super expensive new prices for those of us that just need PS, honestly, I just don't need any more Adobe thank you. I don't think I'll be alone in saying that either by a long stretch.

Dec 18, 2012 at 03:08 AM
Dave Good
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · If Adobe goes cloud only ??

I have zero interest in trusting my content to an on-line storage device. First of all, I don't trust it to remain stable or secure, and secondly, living out in a rural area my connection speeds are still dreadfully slow compared to you city folk. So, I will continue to use the last version of PS until I feel the need to look elsewhere.

Dec 18, 2012 at 05:49 AM
Mr Mouse
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · If Adobe goes cloud only ??

Beni wrote:
Simple question. How many of us need more than what CS6 offers, especially if we use LR or DNG converter to keep up to date? I'm personally still on CS5, don't like the new raw processing engine and don't need any of the newer stuff in CS6. A decision I made after trialling it for a couple of weeks. If they do go to the cloud with their super expensive new prices for those of us that just need PS, honestly, I just don't need any more Adobe thank you. I don't think I'll be alone in saying that either
...Show more

LR is not a real image editor it more an image developer. I don't need LR for I have Photoshop.

DNG is an Adobe RAW file format they proposed for starting developing a Standard RAW format. However Adobe is the only company that seem to have any interest in DNG. Some companies did give it a look. The DNG format is not supported by many applications.

CS4, CS5 and CS6 have options that can make Photoshop default operation to be incompatible with actions, scripts and plug-ins developed for Photoshop when these options are changed from Adobe's default settings. You may find some thing that have always worked for you fail when you change Photoshop CS4, CS5 and CS6 options. If you use third party add-on for Photoshop your better off using CS3.

Adobe ACR support is the pits for with each release of Photoshop Adobe changes the APIs ACR uses so it will not compatible with older version of Photoshop. The only way to get new camera support is to convert camera RAW file into Adobe's DNG raw format. Adobe can get away with this only because their customers have so much invested in their Photoshop work-flow and there is no viable alternative they can switch to.

What Adobe need to get back on track is some viable competition. I can not understand why there is no competition for at $700 to $1000 a pop for Photoshop you would think some would see importunity there. Hopefully as Adobe introduces new bugs with each new software drop some will see Adobe as open target easy pray.

Dec 18, 2012 at 09:33 AM
colinm
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · If Adobe goes cloud only ??

Dave Good wrote:
I have zero interest in trusting my content to an on-line storage device.

Again, the only thing Creative Cloud has to do with "the cloud" (the internet) is that some marketing wonk thought they'd sell more subscriptions that way. Your files and your applications are on your computer.

Mr Mouse wrote:
What Adobe need to get back on track is some viable competition. I can not understand why there is no competition for at $700 to $1000 a pop for Photoshop you would think some would see importunity there. Hopefully as Adobe introduces new bugs with each new software drop some will see Adobe as open target easy pray.

Agreed, though I'd settle for firing Shantanu Narayen and getting the company back on track. Adobe's still managing to put out some amazingly useful new tools in their new versions, but it's all mired in penny-pinching, a lack of quality assurance, and a customer-hostile attitude. There's definitely room for someone to come in with Adobe's old attitude (not the horrendous Macromedia attitude Adobe acquired with the company and its employees) and make a product people enjoy using and enjoy paying money for.

Imaging software may be difficult to develop, but please, I'll give you my money!

Dec 18, 2012 at 11:26 AM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · If Adobe goes cloud only ??

just say NO to Adobe cloud only bloatware

Dec 18, 2012 at 11:35 AM
Bernie
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · If Adobe goes cloud only ??

I was on CS3 when I decided to go for CS5 (CS before that). Not only did it have benefits for my 2007 iMac in speeding things up but also allowing saves while doing other functions.

The real benefit was in its superior raw processing. The highlight recovery,lens profiles, and noise control was like getting a new camera (well, almost). There were other features that were icing on the cake as well....

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:55 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · If Adobe goes cloud only ??

I just skimmed Adobe's latest fiscal report and it seems someone is moving to the cloud. They say 326,000 subscriptions to cloud have already taken place with the latest rates of 10,000 new subscriptions per week. Adobe has exceeded their revenue forecast and said the acceptance of the cloud subscriptions have exceeded their early expectations.

Dec 18, 2012 at 03:35 PM
willis
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · If Adobe goes cloud only ??

I can make do with just LR and Elements quite easily because I do this for fun. Yes I have PS CS6 and before that have had each new version since CS. I won't subscribe to cloud. Many people need the full suite and always upgrade so the cloud should suit them well. I expect many amateurs find it more acceptable to hand over a one-off fee when it suits them (and to buy something they can use forever) than to sign up for ongoing monthly expenditure for a suite of software that they will greatly under-use.
Adobes software is the best available and may be the only option in a competitive professional world but as stated earlier in the thread Adobes market has burgeoned on the back of the amateur market and this market could become very lucrative very quickly for an astute competitor.

Dec 18, 2012 at 04:03 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · If Adobe goes cloud only ??

willis wrote:
I can make do with just LR and Elements quite easily because I do this for fun. Yes I have PS CS6 and before that have had each new version since CS. I won't subscribe to cloud. Many people need the full suite and always upgrade so the cloud should suit them well. I expect many amateurs find it more acceptable to hand over a one-off fee when it suits them (and to buy something they can use forever) than to sign up for ongoing monthly expenditure for a suite of software that they will greatly under-use.
Adobes software is the
...Show more

But is not LR this competitor to PS? What more are you looking for in this low cost amatuer targeted competitor?

Dec 18, 2012 at 04:27 PM
James_N
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · If Adobe goes cloud only ??

chez wrote:
But is not LR this competitor to PS? What more are you looking for in this low cost amatuer targeted competitor?

No, Lightroom is not a competitor to Photoshop. Its a complementary product but its not a viable alternative to Photoshop. At its core LR is a raw converter and a Digital Asset Manager. But except for the ability to manage off-line files and a few other small features, Lightroom functionality is available in Adobe Bridge which ships with Photoshop..

The primary reason why LR is not a competitor to Photoshop is that you cannot create nor select pixels in Lightroom while those functions are at the heart of Photoshop. There are huge numbers of graphics professionals who are not photographers but rely on Photoshop daily to create original artwork, etc. You cannot create original artwork in Lightroom.

Dec 18, 2012 at 05:51 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · If Adobe goes cloud only ??

James_N wrote:
No, Lightroom is not a competitor to Photoshop. Its a complementary product but its not a viable alternative to Photoshop. At its core LR is a raw converter and a Digital Asset Manager. But except for the ability to manage off-line files and a few other small features, Lightroom functionality is available in Adobe Bridge which ships with Photoshop..

The primary reason why LR is not a competitor to Photoshop is that you cannot create nor select pixels in Lightroom while those functions are at the heart of Photoshop. There are huge numbers of graphics professionals who are not photographers but
...Show more

But we are on a photography forum focused on photography, not graphic arts. Saying LR doesn't allow you to get to the pixel level has not stopped me from making great prints. Since getting LR along with the NIK software suite, I venture very little into Photoshop. I'd say for the vast majority of photographers, LR is all that is required. For the rest...pony up for the new Cloud version of photoshop.

Dec 18, 2012 at 06:30 PM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · If Adobe goes cloud only ??

I'd say for the vast majority of photographers, LR is all that is required. For the rest...pony up for the new Cloud version of photoshop.

Or some other product.

Fact is, I started using Photoshop not because the application itself offered me something I couldn't get elsewhere, but because Photoshop was supported by so many more 3rd parties, both in knowledge base and in products.

But that could change very quickly.

Dec 18, 2012 at 07:01 PM
willis
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · If Adobe goes cloud only ??

chez wrote:

Elements is probably the sort of low cost competitor with which I could make do though there are other options. I believe Adobes amateur userbase is very large indeed and many will baulk at paying their cloud subscription. It's Adobes loss overall even if these users stick with LR and Elements. I think they're greedy and the move could easily backfire.

Dec 18, 2012 at 07:19 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · If Adobe goes cloud only ??

willis wrote:
Elements is probably the sort of low cost competitor with which I could make do though there are other options. I believe Adobes amateur userbase is very large indeed and many will baulk at paying their cloud subscription. It's Adobes loss overall even if these users stick with LR and Elements. I think they're greedy and the move could easily backfire.

Well I got no idea how big the amateur user base for photoshop really is...but this cloud subscription has taken off better than anticipated. I guess we'll have to see how things end up. I for one will not get the subscription as I don't need to use photoshop much anymore and the current version I have does everything I require from it.

I would think that with the likes of LR and elements, there are way more photographers using these tools than photoshop, especially the amateurs.

Dec 18, 2012 at 07:48 PM
James_N
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · If Adobe goes cloud only ??

Regardless of what forum we're on LR4 is simply not a competitor to PS. Perhaps you can explain to a portrait photographer how to swap the eyes of a subject using another photo as the source, or how to build a composite image where hair needs to be selected; or the myriad other tasks where selections and changes need to be made at the pixel level. I too get excellent prints out of Lightroom (been using it since the very first beta in 2006) but I also realize its limitations.

chez wrote:
But we are on a photography forum focused on photography, not graphic arts. Saying LR doesn't allow you to get to the pixel level has not stopped me from making great prints. Since getting LR along with the NIK software suite, I venture very little into Photoshop. I'd say for the vast majority of photographers, LR is all that is required. For the rest...pony up for the new Cloud version of photoshop.

Dec 19, 2012 at 09:47 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · If Adobe goes cloud only ??

James_N wrote:
Regardless of what forum we're on LR4 is simply not a competitor to PS. Perhaps you can explain to a portrait photographer how to swap the eyes of a subject using another photo as the source, or how to build a composite image where hair needs to be selected; or the myriad other tasks where selections and changes need to be made at the pixel level. I too get excellent prints out of Lightroom (been using it since the very first beta in 2006) but I also realize its limitations.

Well James, I guess if you want to swap eyes in a portrait...you'll need to stick to photoshop...but I venture to guess the vast majority of portrait photographers really don't swap clients eyes. For you...you have 3 choices:

1. Pony up for the cloud subscription and get the latest greatest from photoshop.
2. Keep you current photoshop. After all it allows you to swap out models eyes.
3. Look for an alternative ( gimp ) and deal with all the limitations of the software.

Surely being a professional, the subscription cost can be worked into your business costs.

Dec 19, 2012 at 10:01 AM
James_N
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · If Adobe goes cloud only ??

I have never once complained about the proposed Cloud service nor have I threatened to abandon Photoshop or never upgrade. I can't find any credible source that says that Adobe intends to go to cloud-based subscription services only; all I see is rumor and speculation in various forums. My only comment in this thread was to refute your claim that Lightroom is a competitor to Photoshop.

Dec 19, 2012 at 10:48 AM
Peter Le
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · If Adobe goes cloud only ??

chez wrote:
Well James, I guess if you want to swap eyes in a portrait...you'll need to stick to photoshop...but I venture to guess the vast majority of portrait photographers really don't swap clients eyes. For you...you have 3 choices:

1. Pony up for the cloud subscription and get the latest greatest from photoshop.
2. Keep you current photoshop. After all it allows you to swap out models eyes.
3. Look for an alternative ( gimp ) and deal with all the limitations of the software.

Surely being a professional, the subscription cost can be worked into your business costs.

Just pony up for the cloud subscription........I'm a little disappointed in you Chez......you wouldn't be saying that if you used Photoshop I'm sure.....easy to say when you don't use it.
Cost worked into your business cost In the last 6 years Chez everything it takes to be a photographer has gone up........but what we can charge has gone down. Soon their will be no profit left at all. Again I guess it is easy to say when you don't make your living at this.
Again I am really disappointed in you Chez......I always respected your opinion here......but I guess it only aplies if it affects you......very disappointing !

Dec 19, 2012 at 07:55 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.