Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Canyonlands needing some processing help

Camperjim
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Canyonlands needing some processing help

Greg, Travis:
Thanks. I do see the points you are both making. As is, this is about the canyons and the storm is a much smaller background element. I guess if I really want more of the thunderstorm then I need more storm, more sky and the canyons need to become a smaller part of the image.

Maybe the attached is a better starting point. This has a lot of room for cropping since it is a 3-shot pano. Also I have reset the black and white points with levels but the original out of camera image is fairly flat and I have lots of room for dodge and burn without losing detail. Concerning the crop, I believe I like it as is and would do little or no cropping. I do think it could be greatly improved with skillful dodge and burn and careful accentuation of colors. I am considering converting this to black and white and working through to achieve better tones and then going back to the the color version and working through a similar process.

I am sure I will eventually want to print something from this day. I have lots of other choices if I cannot make either of these work. Any additional suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Dec 28, 2012 at 05:21 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.2 #2 · Canyonlands needing some processing help

I like this new version a lot more, more interest in the sky, and just in general it appeals more to my eye than the other one. The only thing I see, is that it might be a little tilted, maybe a slight rotation clockwise.

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:34 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · Canyonlands needing some processing help

Camperjim wrote:
Ben, it seems you really want to see the traditional sunset or late afternoon image where the sky turns red, the white rim glows and the canyons darken. The image I posted is a daytime thunderstorm. It is not going to approach what you want to see for the more traditional iconic presentation. I probably have a few of those but my archives are in disorder and being reorganized. This one might be closer to what you want to see, but it also needs some processing work.

This is the one I would print, and if it were mine, I would. This is better than anything I got last year.

Rats, the image does not show. Its the second one you showed.

Dec 28, 2012 at 02:24 PM
Camperjim
• • •
p.2 #4 · Canyonlands needing some processing help

Ben, thanks. I like that one also. Of course I picked it mostly at random. That day I had a great sunrise at Dead Horse. Then I went to the Green River overlook for a couple of hours of storms and great light and then back to Dead Horse for more stormy skies and sunset.

Some days I struggle all day to find a few mediocre travel images and other days are awesome. Those awesome days can mean a lot of work later on. From my one awesome day I have several hundred images. Many are images that I shot to be stitched as panos. Often I waited only a few minutes and as the light changed I shot a new series. In order to really see what I have, I need to do a preliminary processing at least to stitch the pano images. Then I need to decide which have the best lighting and are worth additional processing. For now I have moved on. I am trying to do a quick selection of my better images for the past year. I had already processed some, but within the past couple of weeks, I have processed several hundred more. I am about ready to try putting together a blurb photobook. I think I might upload a 100 or so images and have Costco print 4x6s. Then I would need to assemble and upload to blurb. I could also try Costco. Costco does great on individual prints but I had calendars printed and the quality was mediocre so I may need to use blurb or someone else for the photobook(s).

Dec 28, 2012 at 06:17 PM
       end

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password