Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3              6       7       end

Archive 2012 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

Jochenb
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

Ontopic again:
A tip from me is to try the HG-XE1 grip. I can't live without it on my X-E1 now. Had to get used to it for a short while but now the camera just feels so good in my hand (which isn't large). Big improvement when shooting with only one hand and it doesn't make the camera much larger.

Kit, I'm thinking about buying a Gordy wrist strap: gordy's camera straps

Dec 17, 2012 at 08:11 AM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

Jochen, neither B&H nor Adorama list this for the X-E1; obviously, though, it fits. Does fitting it put the tripod socket under the lens centre, too? I would love to see a pic, if you have the time. Cheers, KL

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:16 AM
Jochenb
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

Kit Laughlin wrote:
Jochen, neither B&H nor Adorama list this for the X-E1; obviously, though, it fits. Does fitting it put the tripod socket under the lens centre, too? I would love to see a pic, if you have the time. Cheers, KL

That's strange, because it's a genuine Fuji accessory for the X-E1:
HG-XE1

Attaching it to the camera does indeed center the tripod socket.
I'll try to make some photos later today.

Dec 17, 2012 at 11:00 AM
buggz2k
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

Hello,
Hard to keep up with all the different stuffs.
However, I am interested in this item now.
Are there many adapters available for alt. lenses?
I guess I could actually search on eBay for this...

Dec 17, 2012 at 04:38 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

buggz2k wrote:
Hello,
Hard to keep up with all the different stuffs.
However, I am interested in this item now.
Are there many adapters available for alt. lenses?
I guess I could actually search on eBay for this...

More and more adapters are becoming available. I have the X-E1 in black on its way to me along with a Novoflex Leica R to Fuji Adapter. I will be using the camera with the heavy R lenses and I wanted a strong adapter. I also have the rotating Novoflex Collar on order (it is backordered) to be used with my heavier non collared lenses.

Novoflex offers many adapters (but they are more expensive than many other options) and there are other makers also producing adapters for many lenses as well.

Rich

Dec 17, 2012 at 04:54 PM
corposant
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

Jochenb wrote:
Kit, I'm thinking about buying a Gordy wrist strap: gordy's camera straps

Gordy is a great guy and his straps look and feel excellent.

Dec 17, 2012 at 05:18 PM
Jochenb
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

Kit, I quickly took 2 photos of the grip:

See, the tripod socket is centered.

Dec 17, 2012 at 06:00 PM
mortyb
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

Is the "multi AF" mode really as useless as it seems to be? I realize the X-E1 has no face detection. But neither has my D700 (I think) - and it still in auto-AF it focuses on the eyes when there's a face in the frame - always. The X-E1 focuses on anything but the face. It focuses on the outer 1/6 of the frame when there's a face covering the rest. I don't get it. Sometimes it's okay just to point the camera at someone and press the shutter. Any tips?

Dec 17, 2012 at 06:11 PM
chris78cpr
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

Jochenb wrote:
Kit, I quickly took 2 photos of the grip:

http://www.jochenbongaerts.be/Other/web/i-dvrBc7k/0/X3/4956-X3.jpg

http://www.jochenbongaerts.be/Other/web/i-sVfj9jx/0/X3/_MG_4960-2-X3.jpg
See, the tripod socket is centered.

Does the X100 have any similar grip available?

Dec 17, 2012 at 06:12 PM
apsphoto
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

I love my Fuji and who cares what the haters say. I have my Canon cameras and for my day to day carry camera I use my X-Pro 1. yes there are sometimes issues with the raw conversions but it will be eventually fixed. The camera is still fun to use.

I like having the thumbs up on the camera, works great for and when I need a tripod I use the RRS l-plate.

Shot in Yellowstone in early Oct, and shot in raw....

_DSF3997-web by APS-Photo, on Flickr

Alan

Dec 17, 2012 at 06:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

naturephoto1
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

chris78cpr wrote:
Does the X100 have any similar grip available?

Thanks. I know that RRS has an L bracket coming and I/they expect that they will be having a grip that will be available to go with it. I will probably go that route myself so that I can use the camera hand held as well as in the vertical and horizontal positions on my Arca Swiss Type QR clamps.

http://reallyrightstuff.com/Items.aspx?code=BodyFujiXE1&key=cat

I suspect that it will much like the one that they have for the X100:

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=BX100-Set&type=3&eq=&desc=BX100-Set%3a-Includes-Base-%2b-LPlate-%2b-Grip

Rich

Dec 17, 2012 at 06:31 PM
mortyb
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

Alan, that's a nice shot. Nice clarity, great colors.

Dec 17, 2012 at 06:44 PM
Brody LeBlanc
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

Ben the Professional - X-Pro1 w/ Fujinon 35mm f1.4 XF by brodyl.91, on Flickr
Sometimes, you just gotta go the extra mile to get those mind blowing results. Forget the haters.
I find the best and most simple way to work with the RAWs is to import via LR then put sharpness to 0, flatten the image a bit then render using lightroom and edit in PS. I usually up-rez 200% in lab and then do noise reduction in the lightness channel. After that I bring the file down to about 75% (from the 200%) and add some sharpening in the lightness channel and just a bit more reduction (if needed.) then I bring it down to the native resolution and add a bit more sharpness while still in Lab. Then back to RGB and compare to the original import. Usually, I'll do some blending depending on the image content. After that, I export as a tif. and do my final processing via LR (color adjustment, clarity, play with tones and contrast.)

Sometimes I just shoot JPGs too...

Professor - Fujifilm X-Pro1 w/ Fujinon 35mm f1.4 FX by brodyl.91, on Flickr

Also, with the primes in lowlight, hold your camera steady and try to shoot via the viewfinder, you'll get less hunting and you'll be more llikely to nail focus first try. Sometimes I do a lot is get the first shot in 'S' and then flick to 'M' and zone the shots after that. Of course, you could just use the AEL button in M mode to focus, but I prefer the smaller focus squares you can get in S mode. (Similar to takin several shots while keeping your finger pressed half way on the D700 in S mode.)

Dec 17, 2012 at 07:26 PM
Lan11
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

Those who asked: “Where can we see your photography?”

Are you interested in my photography, because you’re trying to switch the subject, or pictures demonstrating the problem?
If this is the later, then tell me how to post them here because I haven’t the privileges and am unwilling to pay. However, for the benefits of potential buyers, I’d be willing to make them available.

It seems there are many people who don’t know how it looks and how ugly this problem is.

Jochenb,

I didn’t see you posts, but I took the camera for a spin expecting that by this time (almost a year since the X-Pro1 release) Fuji will fix the problem when they ship a new camera.

Those cameras were developed under the management which was rocked by a huge scandal and there is a equally huge law suit facing Fuji now, which may even sink the company. Their top management was replaced, but the culture of dishonesty continues. Otherwise they wouldn’t be selling the camera pretending that everything is fine. As a minimum they should acknowledge the problem and commit to the solution date. If they haven’t, it means they don’t have a clue how to fix it. If the problem is in the proprietary Fuji f/m, then ther will be no other 3-rd party solutions.

I’m not talking about the “finest detail”, but about unrecoverable details in RAW files, making RAWs practically useless, and ugly patterns in both the JPG and RAW files. If this is unimportant to you that’s fine - enjoy the camera - but, can you at least understand that there are people with different expectations and needs especially in view of the camera price?

Kit(lens?) : -))),

“Man, that's so true. An aperture ring; and a shutter speed dial—coupled with auto ISO—is just a dream come true.”

Spoken like a genuine novice who just discovered America : -).
Have you ever used Leica, Mamiya 6, 7 and many, many other older film cameras? I guess not. But, I applaud you for your discovery and recognition anyway.

I’m now convinced of what I wrote earlier, that the fun boys lack understanding of the issue at hand. Will they ever mature?
They’re switching now subject from the Fuji problem to a new gadget - a grip : -))), but does the grip solve the problem?

Dec 17, 2012 at 07:38 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

Lan11 wrote:

Are you interested in my photography, because you’re trying to switch the subject, or pictures demonstrating the problem?
If this is the later, then tell me how to post them here because I haven’t the privileges and am unwilling to pay. However, for the benefits of potential buyers, I’d be willing to make them available.

It seems there are many people who don’t know how it looks and how ugly this problem is.

Jochenb,

I didn’t see you posts, but I took the camera for a spin expecting that by this time (almost a year
...Show more

Again, this is not the place for all of your complaints. Other threads perhaps, but not here about tips and tricks for the camera.

Rich

Dec 17, 2012 at 07:44 PM
mortyb
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

You can sign up for free at flickr.com and upload photos there. Then you can post them here with a link.

Dec 17, 2012 at 07:45 PM
Jochenb
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

Lan11 wrote:

Jochenb,

I didn’t see you posts, but I took the camera for a spin expecting that by this time (almost a year
...Show more

Why can't you move on? Do you really think you can convince every Fuji user to dump their camera, even when they say they're happy with it?
Sure I also want a solution, but the results now are also usable.
Talking about the grip was obviously to get back ON topic, which your rants aren't in this thread. That's the last I say about it here.

Dec 17, 2012 at 07:58 PM
Brody LeBlanc
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

mortyb wrote:
You can sign up for free at flickr.com and upload photos there. Then you can post them here with a link.

+1

Online trolls need to put their money where there mouth is.

Dec 17, 2012 at 08:13 PM
apsphoto
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

Brody LeBlanc wrote:
+1

Online trolls need to put their money where there mouth is.

+1

Brody great shots and in the pic thread. Really like your processing and toning. Really good stuff.

Alan

Dec 17, 2012 at 08:18 PM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

Lan wrote:

“Man, that's so true. An aperture ring; and a shutter speed dial—coupled with auto ISO—is just a dream come true.”

Spoken like a genuine novice who just discovered America : -).

It will probably surprise you to know I have used and owned all the bodies you mention (and probably over a hundred more); I have been a professional photographer for 30+ years; John Deere is the last of my big clients here. I am retired now from this, but shot extensively for them a year or so ago. In case you missed it, my point was about ergonomics and about re-convergence on a minimalist interface, which the cameras you mention also have.

My mention of the dream come true is simply this: in film days, you were locked in to one ISO. The Auto 6400 setting literally takes you from max. intensity outside in the midday sun, all the way to semi-darkness. No one was ever able to do that in film days, and we all wanted it. Few other contemporary cameras allow the setting of shutter speed on a dial, aperture on a ring (which most people are holding, automatically) and this is ergonomically sound, just as it was on the film cameras you mention. It has nothing to do with nostalgia; everything to do with stability and efficiency.

I'm pretty old to be a fan-bay, too, when it comes to that. So far I have not found your comments helpful and. like many others here, have absolutely no problems waiting until a Raw developer appears: for the work I do now, the JPEGs are excellent, and the ergonomics make it a pleasure to use.

May I respectfully suggest that, if this camera is not to your liking, that you just move on?

And I have a question for the rest of you: is there any way of getting a wider range of fill flash power? Currently, -2/3 EV seems to be the minimum amount; I would prefer -1.3, or thereabouts.

Dec 17, 2012 at 09:39 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password