Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       6       end

Archive 2012 · Anyone else disturbed by...

matt4626
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · Anyone else disturbed by...

I too thought it was irresponsible.

Dec 16, 2012 at 04:32 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.3 #2 · Anyone else disturbed by...

n0b0 wrote:
A guy just went on a shooting spree in a highschool and some people here are disturbed by a rolling flaming tyre in a commercial with a warning at the bottom that says "Professional stuntperson with safety gear. Do not attempt."?

No wonder the Western world has gone PC crazy and nanny-state. How sheltered is your life people?

Reminds me of the whole "WARNING: Do not eat ipod shuffle." (which Apple apparently put in the manual as more of a jest, hitting at what warnings have become these days, rather than something 100% entirely serious, although.... I had just been biting into it when I saw that)

(My LCD TV actually had big warnings printed on sheets of paper taped to it warning users to not lay it flat on the ground and jump up and down on it! )

(But yeah not a warning to be seen for a semi-automatic or expanding bullets I bet. Maybe if we get households with guns in them up from a tragically low 45% to a nice and safe 100% there will be a lot fewer accidental shootings, successful suicide attempts, spur of the moment rage shootings and maybe, just maybe, as 30 people whip out guns and all start shooting each other each thinking all the others are the mad man, that more rampage shootings will be cut short and more lives will be saved....)

Anyway, back on topic, yeah that scene does look pretty cool. I will have to give that a go soon and see what I can get.

Edited on Dec 17, 2012 at 10:00 PM · View previous versions

Dec 16, 2012 at 08:50 PM
snapsy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · Anyone else disturbed by...

I thought it was a fantastic commercial.

Dec 16, 2012 at 09:00 PM
DavidP
• • • • •
p.3 #4 · Anyone else disturbed by...

n0b0 wrote:
That's what parents are for.

That's very un-PC to say in a nanny state. Your posts will now be under more scrutiny until further notice.

Dec 16, 2012 at 09:26 PM
thedigitalbean
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · Anyone else disturbed by...

snapsy wrote:

+1

Dec 16, 2012 at 10:48 PM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · Anyone else disturbed by...

skibum5 wrote:
Reminds me of the whole "WARNING: Do not eat ipod shuffle." (which apparently Apple put in the manual as more of a jest at what warnings have become than 100% entirely serious, although.... I had just been biting into it when I saw that)

(My LCD TV actually had big warnings to not lay it flat on the ground and jump up and down on it! )

(But yeah not a warning to be seen for a semi-automatic or expanding bullets I bet. Maybe if we get households with guns up from a tragically low 45% to 100% there will be a
...Show more

I don't even know what you're trying to say there. You speak English?

DavidP wrote:
That's very un-PC to say in a nanny state. Your posts will now be under more scrutiny until further notice.

I see what you did there. but I think you got nanny state mixed up with totalitarianism.

Dec 16, 2012 at 11:26 PM
helimat
• • • •
p.3 #7 · Anyone else disturbed by...

Commercial disturbing? No to me. Fox News, hell yes.

Dec 17, 2012 at 12:29 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.3 #8 · Anyone else disturbed by...

snapsy wrote:

Actually it was one of the few qualifying as mildly entertaining. A little bare skin and L glass would have sent it over the top. After watching the ad I might just buy another Canon lens. No unclean thoughts about riding a flaming skateboard, running from tigers, leaping off rooftops or BBQ treadware...

Dec 17, 2012 at 05:51 AM
Beni
• • • • •
p.3 #9 · Anyone else disturbed by...

David Baldwin wrote:
Commenting on the advertising industry generally I often find their lack of values disturbing. The solution is simple, get rid of the TV. You will find you have more time to live your life and don't have to worry about your children being mind*****d by amoral shallow ad execs, who, forgive me, would sell their grandmas for a new Porsche.

The ad footprint of the web is much easier to filter out, I suggest you go online and switch off the old TV. After a year or two you will wonder what the attraction of the tube ever was.

Very much agree. Don't have a TV, went on holiday recently to the lakes, watched the tv for about 20 minutes in the chalet till my brains started melting out of my ears...

Dec 17, 2012 at 06:04 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.3 #10 · Anyone else disturbed by...

Saw it again tonight, and I agree, it is a very bold and entertaining commercial.

Dec 17, 2012 at 07:13 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Scott T
• • •
p.3 #11 · Anyone else disturbed by...

helimat wrote:
Commercial disturbing? No to me. Fox News, hell yes.

+1

Dec 17, 2012 at 07:45 AM
cputeq
• • • •
p.3 #12 · Anyone else disturbed by...

Scott T wrote:
+1

Could you point out exactly why Fox News is "disturbing" to you?

----

As for the commercial - Perhaps the OP should have used "concerned" and not "disturbed" ?

I thought the commercial was actually pretty cool, and one of the best photography commercials I've seen (which aren't a lot, since I don't watch TV all that often).

As for being concerned about "copy-catters" -- This is where parents should get off their collective butts and actually be parents - if they see something like this, they tell their children it's not real or to not try that (actually warn your kids BEFORE you see stuff like this).

Of course there are always the adventurous kids that are going to try to do stuff like this. My cousins and me used to do some really stupid things, luckily we made it through okay

Copy-catting has been going on for years and is nothing new, though - if the commercial doesn't give them the idea, something will or they'll think of some stupid stuff on their own.

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:44 AM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.3 #13 · Anyone else disturbed by...

Why would this be disturbing I mean really. What about the all the commercials about cars and tires and how fast they can go and how the can cut corners with ease? A more realistic situation is driving fast like an idiot because of a commercial.

You appear to be a football fan. I would be more disturbed by kids recklessly tackling one another for a ball than this commercial.

Dec 17, 2012 at 02:39 PM
reno.peterson
• • • •
p.3 #14 · Anyone else disturbed by...

Epic fail complaint!!! Thread end....

Dec 17, 2012 at 02:44 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.3 #15 · Anyone else disturbed by...

reno.peterson wrote:
Epic fail complaint!!! Thread end....

Reno, I have been around too long. Never thought I would see a time when setting a tire on fire and rolling down a street was acceptable. Surely, I know, Don't call me Shirley, there is a limit to creative artistry and reckless behavior! What have we become ( to paraphrase Larry the Cable Guy ) Gun-hatin, tree-huggin, tofu fartin Sissies? I added the emotions for those literally challenged.

Dec 17, 2012 at 03:36 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.3 #16 · Anyone else disturbed by...

NO issue with humor in advertising

Dec 17, 2012 at 03:45 PM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.3 #17 · Anyone else disturbed by...

oldrattler wrote:
Reno, I have been around too long. Never thought I would see a time when setting a tire on fire and rolling down a street was acceptable. Surely, I know, Don't call me Shirley, there is a limit to creative artistry and reckless behavior! What have we become ( to paraphrase Larry the Cable Guy ) Gun-hatin, tree-huggin, tofu fartin Sissies? I added the emotions for those literally challenged.

Did you watch the commercial or just read the OP's post? Because if you did watch it, you'd also see an old man climbing up to a roof covered with snow to stand on the edge taking a photo, and woman being chased by a giraffe as she takes her shots. Both of which aren't on anyone's recommended list of things to do.

Anyone with common sense would know that setting a tyre on fire and rolling it down a hill is not acceptable. I think it's safe to say that noone in this forum would do that. So why should people be disturbed by it? If some kid goes ahead and do it, I'd blame the parents for not giving him enough guidance in life so that he lacks common sense, I wouldn't blame the commercial that comes with a warning to not attempt in real life.

Dec 17, 2012 at 03:59 PM
helimat
• • • •
p.3 #18 · Anyone else disturbed by...

cputeq wrote:
Could you point out exactly why Fox News is "disturbing" to you?

Well, the fact that people actually watch it, and believe it.

Dec 17, 2012 at 04:50 PM
S Dilworth
• •
p.3 #19 · Anyone else disturbed by...

Advertisers need to provoke viewers to get attention. That said, a burning tyre with an overlaid warning isnít exactly going to set the world on fire. The risk of copycatting resulting in harm is remote. The provoked giraffe in the same ad is presumably more likely to offend people.

This was more likely to cause harm. Naturally, it won a bunch of awards.

I can think of dozens of others. Sony (with TBWA) has a history of disturbing ads. Examples one, two, and three.

Dec 17, 2012 at 05:34 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.3 #20 · Anyone else disturbed by...

helimat wrote:
Well, the fact that people actually watch it, and believe it.

I guess I have a little more faith in humanity than you but I sincerely doubt there are more than a handful of people dumb enough to believe what they see on the FOX News channel is truth or accurate news. Their credibility went to hell in a hand basket long ago.

Dec 17, 2012 at 05:38 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password