Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

3              5       6       end

Archive 2012 · Anyone else disturbed by...

John P Mulgrew
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Anyone else disturbed by...

What do you expect the OP is a Steelers fan, go figure and GO BROWNS!!!!

Dec 16, 2012 at 06:01 AM
mabidally
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Anyone else disturbed by...

Ok I am sorry for deviating from the topic, it's just that I am so so angry today.

Imagery can have a very subtle but powerful effect on the subconscious mind, I believe it is called "mirroring" in psychology.

JohnBrose wrote:
How does a thread discussing a Canon ad develop into an anti gun discussion? Can't people stay on topic? I've thought of the ad, but wouldn't say I'm disturbed by it. They probably could have chosen some better subject matter, but they are trying to show(I think anyway) that Canon users are creative. There are many instances when photographers and videographers throw caution to the wind or do things that the casual observer would think is unsafe to strive to push the envelope or get the shot that they are after so I don't think the concept is so over
...Show more

Dec 16, 2012 at 06:11 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Anyone else disturbed by...

Lasse Eriksson wrote:
+100

Speaking as one of those "Gun-toting / liberty-loving / God-believing maniac's" I think it should be noted that acts of violence / terrorism is not reserved for Americans only. Crazy people / ideology's can be found worldwide. Instead of pointing fingers / casting aspersions I believe society, in general, should stop accepting vulgarity, & violence as the norm.. For reference I find the Tire burning sequence inappropriate.

Edited on Dec 17, 2012 at 10:23 AM · View previous versions

Dec 16, 2012 at 06:15 AM
timbop
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Anyone else disturbed by...

HawksFan66 wrote:
Is anyone else disturbed by what I feel is irresponsible advertising on Canon's part with their new TV ad depicting a person chasing a burning tire down a residential street to video it with their Canon camera? I know, it's an ad. But tell me you don't think there isn't someone out there who watched that and thought to themselves, "Oh cool! I could do that!"

Not disturbed, but it's a dumb idea on canon's part - as in dumb kids will try to copy it and end up starting a fire

Dec 16, 2012 at 08:03 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Anyone else disturbed by...

jorkata wrote:
Hmm. A gun-toting maniac outside of the US caused a 3x larger loss of life last year.

Pardon me for contributing to this OT sub-text. Yes, there are many cases worldwide of mass killings using guns; however, it is interesting to observe how often gun deaths occur in various countries. I've attached gun death stats for the Top 20 countries, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate, (average gun deaths per 100k people, per year).

BTW, Norway (which I assume you are referring to) is 37 on the list, with an average of 1.8 gun deaths per 100k, per year.

El Salvador 50.36 (annual gun deaths per 100k citizens)
Jamaica 47.44
Honduras 46.7
Guatemala 38.52
Swaziland 37.16
Colombia 28.11
Brazil 19.01
Panama 12.92
Mexico 11.14
Philippines 9.46
South Africa 9.41
United States 9
Montenegro 8.55
Paraguay 7.35
Nicaragua 7.14
Switzerland 6.4
Argentina 5.65
Canada 4.78
Zimbabwe 4.75
Serbia 3.9

People who live in glass houses...

Dec 16, 2012 at 08:22 AM
jaybird555
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Anyone else disturbed by...

Have We Become Desensitized ?!

Dec 16, 2012 at 08:42 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Anyone else disturbed by...

They are comparing statistics from very very different years and times. Some countries figures are from 1993 and others from 2012. And then you have every year in between those also. And from different sources

Edited on Dec 16, 2012 at 08:58 AM · View previous versions

Dec 16, 2012 at 08:52 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Anyone else disturbed by...

Lars Johnsson wrote:
They are comparing statitics from very very different years and times. Some countries figures are from 1993 and others from 2012. And then you have every year in between those also. And from different sources

That is correct; however, I believe the general trends are consistent over time.

Dec 16, 2012 at 08:54 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Anyone else disturbed by...

jcolwell wrote:
That is correct; however, I believe the general trends are consistent over time.

one year is not a trend

Dec 16, 2012 at 08:59 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Anyone else disturbed by...

jcolwell wrote:
it is interesting to observe how often gun deaths occur in various countries. I've attached gun death stats for the Top 20 countries, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate, (average gun deaths per 100k people, per year).

The only country from that top 20 list of "distinction" which I definitely wouldn't expect there is Switzerland.

Dec 16, 2012 at 09:14 AM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Anyone else disturbed by...

HawksFan66 wrote:
Is anyone else disturbed by what I feel is irresponsible advertising on Canon's part with their new TV ad depicting a person chasing a burning tire down a residential street to video it with their Canon camera? I know, it's an ad. But tell me you don't think there isn't someone out there who watched that and thought to themselves, "Oh cool! I could do that!"

Yeah, I didn't think it was good when I saw it.

The next door kids poured gas on the bottom of their shoes and ran into the night to leave burning footprints when they were teenagers. It was all good and fine until one of their legs caught on fire and they got burned badly. Kids don't really need stupid ideas put in their heads in the name of advertising a product, IMO.

Dec 16, 2012 at 09:18 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Anyone else disturbed by...

PetKal wrote:
The only country from that top 20 list of "distinction" which I definitely wouldn't expect there is Switzerland.

But nearly all where suicides. And they should not be included here (IMO)

Dec 16, 2012 at 09:23 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Anyone else disturbed by...

Lars Johnsson wrote:

OK, that explains it. I agree, mixing suicide and homicide statistics together makes no sense whatsoever.

Dec 16, 2012 at 09:35 AM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Anyone else disturbed by...

I see some common patterns in the countries listed above. Most of them are either in an unstable region, illegal drug producing region, and/or countries in close proximity to the USA.

mco_970 wrote:
Yeah, I didn't think it was good when I saw it.

The next door kids poured gas on the bottom of their shoes and ran into the night to leave burning footprints when they were teenagers. It was all good and fine until one of their legs caught on fire and they got burned badly. Kids don't really need stupid ideas put in their heads in the name of advertising a product, IMO.

That's what parents are for. To point out to their kids that the ad was shot in a controlled environment with professional stuntman with safety gear and that it would be very dangerous to emulate in real life, and hence the warning at the bottom of the ad.

Seems like it's real easy for people to blame TV, games, etc. for kid's problems these days. Some kid went on a killing spree!! Oh, he must've been playing Call of Duty and other violent video games. Never mind the high probability that he's already f**ed up in the head or that there's noone around to guide him.

Dec 16, 2012 at 10:06 AM
RazorTM
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Anyone else disturbed by...

HawksFan66 wrote:
Of course there are far more disturbing things. Everything can be topped. But advertisements like that can lead to problems.

I play a violent game called Battlefield 3 but I sure don't feel like going on a shooting spree.

Dec 16, 2012 at 10:18 AM
HawksFan66
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Anyone else disturbed by...

John P Mulgrew wrote:
What do you expect the OP is a Steelers fan, go figure and GO BROWNS!!!!

That's cold!

Dec 16, 2012 at 10:49 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Anyone else disturbed by...

mabidally wrote:
Every other movie shows gun toting heroes, should we ban all these movies too? After all there is a serious problem in America with guns.

There is a difference between a movie and a commercial. A movie YOU choose to watch it. A commercial pops in without your knowledge.

Dec 16, 2012 at 10:50 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Anyone else disturbed by...

OP -- I think you have your priorities out of priority.

It's a commercial.

Have you ever seen "Jackass"?

I'm more disturbed by professional football.

Dec 16, 2012 at 10:57 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Anyone else disturbed by...

Lars Johnsson wrote:

Same for the USA -- these numbers reflect "homicides" which include suicide. The remainder are mostly gang crimes -- gangs killing gangs -- these are criminals that are not deterred by laws against their possessing guns. That goes for the USA, Mexico, Nigeria, Russia, . . .

I am saddened by senseless violence of all types, be it gun, machete, or suicide bomber.

Dec 16, 2012 at 11:24 AM
kdlanejr
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Anyone else disturbed by...

PetKal wrote:

OK, that explains it. I agree, mixing suicide and homicide statistics together makes no sense whatsoever.

Have to disagree here. Suicide is a direct result of mental instability, which should put it at the top of the homicide list. The shooter that spurred this discussion finished up by killing himself exacerbating the relevance of mental instability.

Dec 16, 2012 at 11:31 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.