Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Nikon not performing up to snuff

cbradio09
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Nikon not performing up to snuff

when was the last time you calibrated your lenses?

also, do you use af assist via sb800/900 speedlights?

Dec 27, 2012 at 04:16 PM
Prettym1k3
• • •
p.2 #2 · Nikon not performing up to snuff

I find that I can shoot my 85 f/1.4G at anywhere from f/1.4 - f/2 and get hit rates that are pretty darn high, even in low light, provided that I'm using one of the 9 center cross-type focus points.

Outside of that, my hit ratio dives drastically, but still isn't bad.

I shoot with almost all Canon shooters, and they always compliment my shots for being in focus and sharp, and are constantly wondering how I'm doing it.

Dec 27, 2012 at 05:12 PM
D. Diggler
• • • •
p.2 #3 · Nikon not performing up to snuff

Prettym1k3 wrote:
I can shoot my 85 f/1.4G at anywhere from f/1.4 - f/2 and get hit rates that are pretty darn high

You're talking on a D800?

Dec 27, 2012 at 08:19 PM
D. Diggler
• • • •
p.2 #4 · Nikon not performing up to snuff

hardlyboring wrote:
I would also sell the D800 and get either a used D3 or a D600. The D800 is WAYYYY to much camera for wedding work.

Unless a person has very small hands, the D600 has an uncomfortable grip for using for any length of time. Similar grip to the D7000 but even smaller! Not as small as a Rebel, though.

Dec 28, 2012 at 02:52 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

lisy78
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · Nikon not performing up to snuff

hardlyboring wrote:
Seriously though... send it in and have it looked at. I would also sell the D800 and get either a used D3 or a D600. The D800 is WAYYYY to much camera for wedding work.
The Nikon cameras should IMO smoke the Canon stuff especially the 5d2.

Bah... the D600 is a "rebel with a big sensor" ... It makes a fine backup body but I wouldn't pick it over a D800 under any circumstance other than "I shoot RAW must send my files immediately and only have dialup"

The AF on the D800 is superior as are the ergonomics of the body if you're older than 12.

I use the D800 alongside the D3s all day long and don't find it to be too much camera

Dec 28, 2012 at 05:42 AM
D. Diggler
• • • •
p.2 #6 · Nikon not performing up to snuff

lisy78 wrote:
I use the D800 alongside the D3s all day long and don't find it to be too much camera

The guy who said it's way too much camera for weddings shoots 4x5 film at weddings!

Dec 28, 2012 at 06:18 AM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · Nikon not performing up to snuff

D. Diggler wrote:
The guy who said it's way too much camera for weddings shoots 4x5 film at weddings!

Yes I most certainly do shoot 4x5 at weddings....
In the end shooting with my 4x5 would still be cheaper than shooting with the D800 because of all the extra hard drive space you would need. Chemicals are cheap and the film is relatively cheap too.
Maybe I do not shoot as many shots but I suppose it just forces me to be a better photographer.
haha

Dec 28, 2012 at 06:35 AM
whtrbt7
• •
Account locked
p.2 #8 · Nikon not performing up to snuff

If low-light autofocus/tracking is not meeting your expectations, all systems pretty much suck at it when it comes down to the wire. My best suggestion is training yourself to go full manual focus and manual on settings to get the most creative control out of your existing equipment. IMO Nikon and Canon are different sides of the same coin. If the Nikon isn't meeting your needs, you either need to upgrade to a higher end version or train your body to work with the existing equipment faster and better. I shoot primarily with Canon equipment but I've use Nikon equipment as well and there is just no replacement for good training.

Dec 28, 2012 at 06:38 AM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password