Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2012 · 1Ds Mark III Quirks and Features?

stanj
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · 1Ds Mark III Quirks and Features?

In my experience, you will see it on a 1-2 minute ISO 400 shot. Can't say I have done long exposure at lower ISO, and I have sold my 1Ds3 last spring so I can't try.

Jan 28, 2013 at 12:08 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · 1Ds Mark III Quirks and Features?

stanj wrote:
In my experience, you will see it on a 1-2 minute ISO 400 shot. Can't say I have done long exposure at lower ISO, and I have sold my 1Ds3 last spring so I can't try.

I regularly do exposures of anything up to 30 seconds at ISO's up to 800 on my 1Ds3 and I've never seen the glow.

I'm sure it does exist but at those exposures I've not seen it

Jan 28, 2013 at 12:12 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · 1Ds Mark III Quirks and Features?

Thanks guys! Doesn't sound like an issue, but I'll keep my eyes open for it.

Jan 28, 2013 at 01:28 PM
pliukait
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · 1Ds Mark III Quirks and Features?

Can someone post an example of 'amp glow'?

Jan 28, 2013 at 02:25 PM
campyone
• •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · 1Ds Mark III Quirks and Features?

I've owned my 1DsIII for about 2 years now, I sold a 5DII to help pay for it and have never regretted the trade, nor does the 5DIII tempt me at all. The only two things I miss from the 5DII are the higher resolution screen and those "C1,C2,C3 knobs" that I found very useful. For a landscape/architectural photographer I think the 1DsIII is a great camera and at the prices I see lately a "best buy" for someone who doesn't need the highest ISO or the fastest fps. Focus is spot on every time, image quality is outstanding, build and water-resistance are outstanding, I put my 24mm TS-EII on it and I'm a happy camper.

With respect to the review time you mention, that depends to some extent on the card I use. The newer "extreme this, ultra that" cards seem to help with the review time, at least to a point that it doesn't bother me. With respect to start-up time, mine seems to start instantaneously. Maybe it's .2 seconds but that's much too fast a speed for me to differentiate from instantaneous.

As for the shutter sound, it is what it is. Like you, I come from a background of large format cameras so everything digital sounds loud and weird compared to a large format shutter. As for medium format, nothing is louder or more disconcerting than the explosion I heard from my Pentax 67 when I tripped the shutter.

Jan 28, 2013 at 06:30 PM
campyone
• •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · 1Ds Mark III Quirks and Features?

ben egbert wrote:
Improvements are incremental. I want to try some night landscapes which I can do local. The other option is to spend 40-50 grand on a camper so I could stay on the road long enough to improve my odds for decent sky's when at national parks or other icon places. That is not really an option, just the only other alternative. . . .

You never move a good sky from one image into a bald sky in another for artistic purposes? I realize purists shudder and it's not something I'd do if I was making documentary photographs or the like but for what I do I consider it perfectly acceptable, no different that bumping the saturation, changing the color balance, cloning out trash, etc. Besides, if it was good enough for William Henry Jackson and a multitude of other 19th century landscape photographers it's good enough for me.

Jan 28, 2013 at 07:01 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · 1Ds Mark III Quirks and Features?

pliukait wrote:
Can someone post an example of 'amp glow'?

Look for the purple patch in the upper right corner (may need some boosting). Also present in the lower right corner but it's so dark that it's not visible. You will get the same look when you take a picture of a white wall at 3200.

Jan 28, 2013 at 10:06 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · 1Ds Mark III Quirks and Features?

Gunzorro,
The rain drop rose has that 1DsIII (and 1DsII) feel to it. Something about both of those cameras that I just haven't found in anything else I've shot with. Not sure how to name or describe it, but there's a richness of depth and color that makes these images incredible. As for the "glow" I guess I never left the shutter open long enough though I know I've done 15-30 sec exposures with no problem. Yep, display and write times can feel a tad slow on occasion, but then they used older processors and smaller buffers. I certainly hope Canon's newest and greatest shows improvements over a 5 year old camera! For what it was designed to do, I don't think the 1DsIII is anywhere near obsolete.

Robert

Jan 28, 2013 at 10:14 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · 1Ds Mark III Quirks and Features?

Stan -- Thanks, that's the sort of thing I was thinking of trying someday. Ive got the EF 15 FE as well, and the Samyang 14/2.8, so I just need to get out of the city! Looks like the 5D2 might be a better choice at the higher ISO stars, but the 1Ds3 will be good at lower ISO 100-200 twilight and city shots.

Robert -- Yes they seem to have a kind of look that is very appealing.

I'm still surprised how slow the images come up on the screen, and I'm thinking of doing a video to show the contrast between models. On the 1Ds2 and 5D2, the review comes up pretty quickly. But the 1Ds3 seems to take around 2 seconds (maybe longer?), which seems an eternity after taking a shot.

I agree, the camera is far from obsolete.

Jan 29, 2013 at 01:18 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.