Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Cheap upgrade from the 5D?

adrianb
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Cheap upgrade from the 5D?

Furthermore, I will post 3 images shot with the 3 bodies (5Dc, 5D II & 1D II) trying to emphasize what they do best.

first one is a portrait shot with 5D II + 135L @ f2 iso 400

second is a BIF (my only attempt and a succesful one i might add): 1D II + 135L @ f2 iso 200

third: a cat, shot with the 5Dc and the Zeiss Pancolar 50mm 1.8 m42 mount (zebra version with m42 to eos adapter) shot at 1.8 iso 400

By no means is this a technical test or such,just a mere demonstration ( I hope) that all 3 bodies deliver great IQ (in my opinion)

PS: disregard the exif from the 5Dc (the adapter always thinks it's a 50mm 1.4, even though it was a 50mm 1.8)

Canon EOS 5D Mark II    135mm    f/2.0    1/640s    400 ISO    +0.7 EV  

Canon EOS-1D Mark II    135.0 mm lens    135mm    f/2.0    1/8000s    200 ISO    -1.0 EV  

Canon EOS 5D    50mm    f/1.4    1/400s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jan 02, 2013 at 11:12 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.2 #2 · Cheap upgrade from the 5D?

Im for 1DMK3 (as always) .. cuz clean+colors=win. IQ is like downsized 1DsMK3, not 5DMK2..

Jan 02, 2013 at 11:14 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.2 #3 · Cheap upgrade from the 5D?

The question for you is what's holding you back with the 5dc? It is a tremendously capable camera for stills. 12.8MP is fine for most print sizes. It only gets sideways under fast changing conditions. Even the 5d2 does as well.

You can grab a 1ds2 which is a fine camera as well if 2" LCD and the shallow burst depth is fine. It runs on heavy Nimh batteries. It will not have better ISO capabilities than the 5dc. AF is better though.

In general lower res cameras (1d3, 40d) have files will tolerate inconsistencies better than pixel dense cameras.

Jan 02, 2013 at 11:42 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.2 #4 · Cheap upgrade from the 5D?

The child with the yellow scarf is stunning...no other word for it....

Jan 03, 2013 at 12:37 AM
anthonygh
• • •
p.2 #5 · Cheap upgrade from the 5D?

That aside..I might need to gravitate back to MF B+W film...that seems to be where the sheer IQ is from my experience...

Jan 03, 2013 at 12:40 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · Cheap upgrade from the 5D?

Anthony -- You should be seeing an advantage in the 5D over the 40D, a fairly noticeable one. As Adrian asked, what lenses are you using? L?

I'm glad you are using CS6 and hope you are getting the most out of it. DPP is also very good for processing Canon RAW.

I agree with a lot of what Adrian says here about the APS-H format for your needs -- you don't need it.

I disagree that the 1Ds2 wouldn't be a good choice. The 5D2 has better IQ, no doubt about it, but the 1Ds2 has that amazing 1D-series build quality and a beautiful tonal rendering. My recommendation is either a 1Ds2 or 5D2 for you.

Good luck deciding!

Jan 03, 2013 at 01:07 AM
WilliamFinley
• • • •
p.2 #7 · Cheap upgrade from the 5D?

Why upgrade from a 5D? For the type of photography that you do, it should be fine. Your time would be better spent concentrating on glass.

IMHO, Bill

Jan 03, 2013 at 01:12 AM
jasonpatrick
• • •
p.2 #8 · Cheap upgrade from the 5D?

For low ISO and studio work, keep the 5D and upgrade the glass.

Jan 03, 2013 at 04:01 AM
shoenberg3
• • •
p.2 #9 · Cheap upgrade from the 5D?

Unforunately, for your purposes, none of the canon bodies will offer a real upgrade in image quality from the 5D. D800 from Nikon might confer some advantage but even then, nothing too significant.

To obtain a real jump in image quality, you need go into digital MF. But since that's so expensive, the best you can do is invest in glass.

Jan 03, 2013 at 04:20 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · Cheap upgrade from the 5D?

shoenberg3 -- I'm not really enjoying being Mr. Buzzkill here. I've owned the 1Ds, 5D, 1Ds2, 5D2, and 1Ds3, and used the 5D3. Each of these had noticeable (if incremental) improvement of IQ over the original 5D (which I owned the longest of the others). I understand what you mean, and I'll estimate the 5D3 is double the resolution of the 5D, but that is not nothing. It's a significant improvement, besides the AF, noise and banding.

I do agree -- Anthony likely needs to improve his glass. But he asked about cheap body upgrade, not glass. I've got a feeling he could do better with improved PP techniques and L or top Alt lenses. But now we're not talking cheap at all.

Jan 03, 2013 at 06:22 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · Cheap upgrade from the 5D?

anthonygh wrote:
Bought a 5D two months ago and am increasingly impressed with the images.

I don't believe that the path to good images is more and more cash....almost the opposite in some respects...but if I sold the 5D and had bit more cash to add to another s/h body...would it be worth doing?

My usage is studio shoots...ISO 400 max....and will be doing land and seascape work as well. I'm a fair weather photographer!! Processing files in LR4. Print to a max A3 but can crop a bit at times.

From a personal 'like' perspective...my 1V HS is my favorite camera ...there is nothing
...Show more

5D2 if you want the extra resolution, 21MP is a bigger step from 13MP than 16MP (1Ds2) which doesn't really do that much and you get less clunky body when you are outside the studio and one with a nicer UI.

Or maybe 6D for a touch better DR but I think a new 6D costs more than a used 5D2.

Not sure what sort of studio work and how you do it and whether outer AF points matter or not.

Edited on Jan 03, 2013 at 06:29 AM · View previous versions

Jan 03, 2013 at 06:26 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · Cheap upgrade from the 5D?

Gunzorro wrote:
but the 1Ds2 has that amazing 1D-series build quality

for someone who said he only shoots in studios and the fairest of fair weather

Jan 03, 2013 at 06:28 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · Cheap upgrade from the 5D?

anthonygh wrote:
I think I have worked out how to get the bests images from the 5D using CS6..and I am not sure they are much better than images from my 40D with the same software.

Anyone suggest an economical upgrade where the images are noticeably better? To put it into perspective...my B+W MF scanned negs are noticeably better in my opinion...

D600/D800 do have better low ISO DR than any current Canon stuff and D800 also adds extra EXTRA detail compared to D600 or 5D2 if you are after more DR and not just more res

D800 isn't yet cheap though and selling and buying new glass etc. not cheap for the D600 either then

Jan 03, 2013 at 06:31 AM
adrianb
• •
p.2 #14 · Cheap upgrade from the 5D?

Anthony: tell us about the glass....

You should really invest in glass..... in 1-2 years time you'll probably upgrade the body,but the glass will stay the same and , with the new body, even improve your results...

Jan 03, 2013 at 10:02 AM
WilliamFinley
• • • •
p.2 #15 · Cheap upgrade from the 5D?

adrianb wrote:

Yes. Your profile does not list the lenses your using. What kind of glass are you putting in front of that 5D?

BIll

Jan 03, 2013 at 05:08 PM
Hulot
• •
p.2 #16 · Cheap upgrade from the 5D?

LiveView for studio and 20mp for better resolution = 5dII

the 5D is a great body and you are not going to see miracles from other cameras in the Canon system

Jan 03, 2013 at 11:57 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.2 #17 · Cheap upgrade from the 5D?

adrianb wrote:

You should really invest in glass..... in 1-2 years time you'll probably upgrade the body,but the glass will stay the same and , with the new body, even improve your results...

My 50mm f1.4 is almost permanently on my 5D...it is remarkably sharp. I use a 17-40L and 85mm 1.8 on my 40D a lot...again.....they seem pin sharp. I mainly use them at around f5.6 in a studio with commercial flash heads...ISO 160 normally. I have not bought a new lens for a few years now.

I can use any of the above on my 1V as well.

When I say the images are sharp I mean clumps of mascara on a model's eyelash sharp......

Jan 04, 2013 at 02:02 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.2 #18 · Cheap upgrade from the 5D?

anthonygh wrote:
My 50mm f1.4 is almost permanently on my 5D...it is remarkably sharp. I use a 17-40L and 85mm 1.8 on my 40D a lot...again.....they seem pin sharp. I mainly use them at around f5.6 in a studio with commercial flash heads...ISO 160 normally. I have not bought a new lens for a few years now.

I can use any of the above on my 1V as well.

When I say the images are sharp I mean clumps of mascara on a model's eyelash sharp......

Anthony, I've a 40D, EOS-3 and those 3 lenses you mention and get great results as well. I shoot up to ISO 800, but usually between 100 and 400 and love the images... I'm just a hobbyist, do a lot of handheld shooting outdoors and like the 70-200 f4L IS as well. FF is a goal, the 6D my target, but I'd be happy with those huge photosites of the 5Dc, images from the 5Dc at low ISO are stunning.

Jerry

Jan 04, 2013 at 02:15 AM
snapsy
• • • •
p.2 #19 · Cheap upgrade from the 5D?

anthonygh wrote:
My 50mm f1.4 is almost permanently on my 5D...it is remarkably sharp.

Stopped-down, both the 50mm f/1.4 and f/1.8 are about the sharpest lenses Canon makes.

Jan 04, 2013 at 02:21 AM
anthonygh
• • •
p.2 #20 · Cheap upgrade from the 5D?

I suspect that my options are limited (other than spending a lot of money!!). I did wonder if I should have bought the 1Ds2 for a little more cash...but like the option of not taking the grips when down on the beach and so on.

I am not convinced the 5D2 does much for my needs either (many posters suggest prints from it and the 5D are pretty similar).......and if the improvement is marginal I would rather keep the money!! If Adobe keeps to form the next version of LR will drag even more quality out of my files.....so that might be my route for better IQ....and maybe a rock solid tripod!!

I am thinking of playing around with some 'alt' lenses however......curiosity mainly!!

Jan 04, 2013 at 02:39 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password