Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · HS basketball rivalry with 200/1.8L

Frank Lauri
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · HS basketball rivalry with 200/1.8L

Clarence....I'm interested to learn more about your tracking directory. Do you a program for all of this or is is a manual log keeping system.

Dec 21, 2012 at 09:31 AM
clarence3
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · HS basketball rivalry with 200/1.8L

Peter Jonas wrote:
I am really impressed with the sharpness of your images. I just moved to a 5d iii from a t2i and I am finding the multiplicity of autofocus options pretty daunting. What autofocus settings and technique do you use for basketball?

I had to turn on the camera and take a look... I don't really mess with the AF settings much.

It's set to "Case 3"... Instantly focus on subjects suddenly entering AF points.
Tracking sensitivity +1
Accel/decel tracking 1 (middle)
AF pt auto switching 0

I remember using a different setting for football when I first got the camera, then changing it when I went to a volleyball game and was disappointed with the AF acquisition speed until I switched to Case 3. Which makes sense... for football I usually track a subject for a lot longer and don't want every obstructing player to throw of the AF. But for VB or BB, go ahead and snap to whatever the AF point is on.

I also use back button focus FWIW. And I manually select the AF point... move it around quite a bit during a game... by reflex now. I seriously think that's probably the biggest improvement to my AF in the past couple of years... select the best AF point for the dynamiclly changing scene and keep the AF square on the subject's eye.

That's why the 5D2 never worked for me in sports... not enough AF points to choose from and the AI Servo acquisition and tracking was miserable at all points, only center point was passable, IMO. 5D3 I never hesitate to use any AF point in any lighting condition.

Love the 2nd AF selector knob on the 5D3 grip. My thumb is constantly working... the shutter finger has it easy.

Dec 21, 2012 at 01:42 PM
clarence3
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · HS basketball rivalry with 200/1.8L

Frank Lauri wrote:
Clarence....I'm interested to learn more about your tracking directory. Do you a program for all of this or is is a manual log keeping system.

I wish it was automated, but it's just a simple spreadsheet and a set of monthly folders with a jpg of what sold.

For each event I log number of shots posted, number of shots sold, total sales per event, etc.

Sometimes I'll run an EXIF report just to see the most popular lenses, focal lengths, apertures.

It can be depressing when you see an event that might have 500 shots but only 5 sold... a 1% success rate. Maybe I should focus on the 99% that didn't sell instead of micro-analyzing the 1% that did sell.

My rule of thumb is that I end up spending as much time processing and uploading as I did at the event... so a 2-hour event is really 4 hours of my time. Sometimes I'm lucky to end up with minimum wage. But then I'll have events that yield $100/hour. So it all averages out. My favorite is when I get sales each month from galleries that were posted years ago. That seems like "found" money.

It's just a hobby for me. When I subtract expenses, taxes, and insurance, it really doesn't justify the time. I end up with enough at the end of each season to buy a new camera or lens, so at least it's a self-sustaining hobby instead of a money pit like a boat. And it's flexible... if I'm on the road, I can always find a game to cover. If there's a family event or if I just don't feel like shooting, I take a week or a month off until I have time for it again.

Dec 21, 2012 at 02:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Peter Jonas

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · HS basketball rivalry with 200/1.8L

Thanks for the helpful response!

Dec 21, 2012 at 03:53 PM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · HS basketball rivalry with 200/1.8L

Clarence....great info. Thanks much.

Dec 22, 2012 at 11:28 AM
CW100
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · HS basketball rivalry with 200/1.8L

clarence3 wrote:
16. This was the last picture of the game, at the buzzer. I deleted it since it was out of focus, but as I hit delete, I noticed this was my neighbor's kid getting kicked in the forearm. I asked him if he had a shoeprint bruise this morning...

Visiting team (Vikings) won, 79-20. Ouch.

cool shots!

Dec 24, 2012 at 11:28 AM
       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password