Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Picking a new lens for D800

m_appeal
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Picking a new lens for D800

I ended up returning the Tamron actually. I want to like it, but the autofocus is too hit or miss for my liking.

Jan 03, 2013 at 02:44 AM
Two23
• • • •
p.2 #2 · Picking a new lens for D800

m_appeal wrote:
35mm could be a bit limiting, but primes are supposed to make you think more about composition (well maybe a bit of a myth) / encourage creativity.

That's just silly. My background: I've been taking shots for the last 25 years, sometimes for magazines/stock/etc., more often for fun. I own and regularly use camera gear made from 1847 to this year. I've owned and used just about every kind of lens made during the entire history of photography--Petzval, rapid rectilinear, Protars, Heliars, Tessars, DAGORs, Hassleblad Zeiss, Leica, Pentax 35mm, and Nikon lenses of all sizes and types (including shift lenses.) One thing I can say with certainty is that creativity does NOT come from a lens, or any other camera gear. It comes from your mind, your emotions, your ability to see & use Light. As Ansel Adams once said, "Any photographer worth his salt can make compelling images with a pinhole camera." He's exactly correct. When we find it difficult to make strong images, all too often we blame the gear only to find our shots don't become more interesting when we buy new gear. If you want to learn composition, buy a tripod. And, become more disciplined about what you shoot.

Kent in SD

Jan 03, 2013 at 04:32 AM
m_appeal
• • •
p.2 #3 · Picking a new lens for D800

Of course creativity doesn't come from a lens. But a prime lens may force you to think more (which may be a myth for all I know as well).

Jan 03, 2013 at 05:10 AM
ucphotog
• •
p.2 #4 · Picking a new lens for D800

Choosing a lens limits you. Which lens you choose limits you in different ways. Choosing a prime requires creativity because you have only one focal length. Choosing a zoom probably means the lens is slower, and is a different sort of limitation. No matter what equipment you use, you will always be limited.

You will always not be able to get *some* shot with whatever gear and skill you have. On the flip side, you should also always be able to get *some* shot with the gear and skill that you have.

Limitations force you to figure out how to make an image with what you have. Since you are always limited by any camera gear, it should always force you to think more. However, different gear is limited in different ways and hence is going to need different sorts of creative thinking. But it will always require creative thinking to get the best, or at least what you want, from the system.

Jan 03, 2013 at 06:19 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

jsbeith

p.2 #5 · Picking a new lens for D800

ucphotog wrote:
Choosing a lens limits you. Which lens you choose limits you in different ways. Choosing a prime requires creativity because you have only one focal length. Choosing a zoom probably means the lens is slower, and is a different sort of limitation. No matter what equipment you use, you will always be limited.

You will always not be able to get *some* shot with whatever gear and skill you have. On the flip side, you should also always be able to get *some* shot with the gear and skill that you have.

Limitations force you to figure out how to
...Show more

One of the best responses I have read on these forums.

Scott

Jan 03, 2013 at 02:52 PM
Two23
• • • •
p.2 #6 · Picking a new lens for D800

ucphotog wrote:
Choosing a lens limits you. Which lens you choose limits you in different ways. Choosing a prime requires creativity because you have only one focal length.

If you have a zoom, couldn't you just tape it to one focal length and achieve the same thing? I mean, if you're THAT undisciplined........... And, exactly how does artificially limiting yourself make you more creative? Using that logic, wouldn't you be the MOST creative if you limited yourself to a camera that not only has a fixed lens, but also a fixed aperture and shutter speed, let's say a Kodak Brownie? Is someone who uses a camera that has no lens at all (i.e. a pinhole camera,) even MORE creative than someone who uses a single focal lens? Creativity comes from an artist; not photo gear.

Kent in SD

Jan 03, 2013 at 02:53 PM
RRRoger
• • •
p.2 #7 · Picking a new lens for D800

I see where this topic is going.
I agree that a prime lens can focus your creativity.
But I think a zoom can enhance it also.

For instance, I would rather have a 14-24 than a 14 or 24 except in extreme low light,
especially for the same price.
And for the price of the second lens you could get some Lee's filters too.
Plus you could enjoy all the focal lengths in between.

Jan 03, 2013 at 03:09 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password