Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       6       end

Archive 2012 · How sharp is the Oly 75mm f/1.8 Really?

bobbytan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · How sharp is the Oly 75mm f/1.8 Really?

Thank you, Yakim!

Yakim Peled wrote:
Bobby, I find the last one to be great both because of composition and her facial expression. Well done.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Dec 19, 2012 at 03:05 PM
dkmiles1
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · How sharp is the Oly 75mm f/1.8 Really?

bobbytan wrote:
Cambodian girl in a temple in Angkor.

Yeah man, this one's pretty freaking amazing! Nice work Bobby!!

Dec 19, 2012 at 07:43 PM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · How sharp is the Oly 75mm f/1.8 Really?

It's not one of my favorite shots ... but thanks!

dkmiles1 wrote:
Yeah man, this one's pretty freaking amazing! Nice work Bobby!!

Dec 19, 2012 at 08:33 PM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · How sharp is the Oly 75mm f/1.8 Really?

Another monkey portrait ... shot at f1.8 and cropped approx 80-90%.

E-M5    OLYMPUS M.75mm F1.8 lens    75mm    f/1.8    1/1250s    200 ISO    -0.7 EV  

Dec 21, 2012 at 03:04 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · How sharp is the Oly 75mm f/1.8 Really?

Very nice!

If it weren't so overpriced I would now be wanting this lens! Grrrrr...

Dec 21, 2012 at 03:51 AM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · How sharp is the Oly 75mm f/1.8 Really?

It's not an inexpensive lens but I think it's worth every penny.

Bifurcator wrote:
Very nice!

Dec 21, 2012 at 04:09 AM
robert829
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · How sharp is the Oly 75mm f/1.8 Really?

bobbytan wrote:

Omg this looks like an studio shots set up lol soo awesome!

Dec 21, 2012 at 08:43 AM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · How sharp is the Oly 75mm f/1.8 Really?

Bifurcator wrote:
Very nice!

Nice, yes.
Overpriced?
Going just by personal feeling about it I would agree, the 75/1.8 (and the 12/2) should be priced a bit lower - that is to me and factors like my personal cash flow, what I feel when using the lens, the resulting images and so on. But does it mean it is overpriced? I'm not sure. Marketing, for example, has always boggled me and I don't understand the logic fully. Why a lens cost more in one continent than in another is sometimes not possible to explain without mixing in "profit". Material costs aren't known to us, the exact amount of manual work, the quality control steps and so on - unknown factors once again.

Optically the lens behaves very much like the "cheap" 45/1.8 (my experience as mentioned in my first reply in this thread). Interesting.

When you say "so overpriced" then what do you base that on? I'm asking because I'm curious. I noticed a discussion at another place where a thread starter asked why the micro 4/3 standard primes (Panny 20/1.7 and 25/1.4) are so expensive compared to Canikon counterparts. Yes, a lot of reasons were mentioned but there was of course no consensus.

Dec 21, 2012 at 10:34 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · How sharp is the Oly 75mm f/1.8 Really?

yeah, I base it on my own personal cash flow as well as historical lens prices. I should probably add that I don't think it's all that overpriced maybe 150 or 200 dollars overpriced? and of course for a used model it's not even that much overpriced. so yeah I think we're coming from the same place on that.

Dec 21, 2012 at 12:05 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · How sharp is the Oly 75mm f/1.8 Really?

I personally don't find it overpriced at all. I think it is in the same optical league (and similar FOV) as the Canon 135mm f/2L, and it's as well built as that lens as well, and it's $100 cheaper than the Canon. If you start comparing to 85/1.8's, it may feel overpriced, except that the Oly 75 is noticeably better than any 85/1.8 I've ever seen (both optically and in construction). Considering the premium people are willing to pay for Zeiss in similar focal lengths/apertures on this forum, I wouldn't think paying for extreme quality would be an issue.

Dec 21, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jonas B
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · How sharp is the Oly 75mm f/1.8 Really?

...historical lens prices aren't that good reference points. Back in the days, when I was young and happy, and for the first time bought a second lens for my SLR camera the price was close to what I made in one month. Now almost everything is cheap. It's a situation which won't last for long of course but that's were we are at the moment.

What remains is to compare to lenses from other manufacturers and systems. A FF user buying a 150/3.6 for 800? No, we won't see anyone do that. So, we end up with our own wallets and preferences.

The 75/1.8 is freak'n good. I wish the focusing ring didn't move as easily as it does and that the lens resisted flare a bit better. That, and true APO performance would have made me pay even more, easily.

Dec 21, 2012 at 02:25 PM
kmkime

p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · How sharp is the Oly 75mm f/1.8 Really?

+1 Really like that shot. Thanks Bobbytan--your postings were one of the factors that motivated me to buy the EM5 and I'm enjoying it immensely.

Dec 21, 2012 at 11:38 PM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · How sharp is the Oly 75mm f/1.8 Really?

Gee ... thanks! Before I decided to try the OM-D I was also encouraged by the photos posted by Jordan, etc. on these forum pages. After playing with the OM-D for a few weeks, I was convinced that it's "good enough" to replace my Canon 5DII - and I have no regrets so far. The OM-D is far from perfect though. There are no really good long lenses (yet) and the AF tracking sucks! And I really hate the ergonomics and super-tiny buttons. I was thinking about getting a GH3 as a backup body (big downside is no IBIS) ... but I think I should wait for Olympus to release the "pro version" of the OM-D which hopefully will be a hybrid of their FT E-5 and MFT EM-5 ... announcement expect sometime next year.

kmkime wrote:
+1 Really like that shot. Thanks Bobbytan--your postings were one of the factors that motivated me to buy the EM5 and I'm enjoying it immensely.

Dec 22, 2012 at 12:15 AM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · How sharp is the Oly 75mm f/1.8 Really?

It would like to keep this thread going, but rather than just focus on the sharpness of this lens it would be nice to just see what images are being captured with this amazing lens. Here's another one from me of Mt Fuji.

E-M5    OLYMPUS M.75mm F1.8 lens    75mm    f/4.0    1/800s    200 ISO    -1.0 EV  

Jan 01, 2013 at 09:42 PM
U.C.
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · How sharp is the Oly 75mm f/1.8 Really?

Jonas B wrote:
What remains is to compare to lenses from other manufacturers and systems. A FF user buying a 150/3.6 for 800? No, we won't see anyone do that. So, we end up with our own wallets and preferences.

Some of us buy the Sigma 150 f/2.8 OS Macro at the same price (in the Netherlands the Sigma is actually cheaper than the Olympus) and stop it down to f/3.5 to get the same FoV and DoF. The 75/1.8 looks stunning, but is it better at f/1.8 than the Sigma @ f/3.5? I seriously doubt that. But maybe someone has done a comparison.

Jan 01, 2013 at 11:26 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · How sharp is the Oly 75mm f/1.8 Really?

bobbytan wrote:

And another superb shot. Those eyes are so emotional.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Jan 02, 2013 at 09:35 AM
Savas K
• • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · How sharp is the Oly 75mm f/1.8 Really?

Sharpness is cake with this lens. Taken through glassed-in display at a coffee shop in Winter Garden, FL.

Jan 04, 2013 at 03:30 PM
RKTodd
• •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · How sharp is the Oly 75mm f/1.8 Really?

I just picked up my 75 1.8 and have a question. First off, I'm shooting an OMD.

I have noticed that when the lens hunts for focus or, I focus it over a long range (like from 10' to 5') the lens makes a low pitched buzzing sound. Olympus tech says that it shouldn't be making that type of sound. I went back to the store of purchase and two more lenses make the same type of sound in varying degrees of loudness.

I should also say that the images are incredibly sharp and the lens seems for function perfectly, it's just the noise that is bothersome.

Have any of you 75 shooter noticed this at all?

Thanks,
Randy

Jan 05, 2013 at 02:13 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · How sharp is the Oly 75mm f/1.8 Really?

RKTodd wrote:
Have any of you 75 shooter noticed this at all?

Randy,

it's perfectly normal and surely noticed. You can read this thread.

/Jonas

Jan 05, 2013 at 02:54 PM
RKTodd
• •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · How sharp is the Oly 75mm f/1.8 Really?

Thanks Jonas! I read the thread and it sounds like the same issue.

~Randy

Jan 05, 2013 at 04:49 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password