Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · OM-D or NEX 6 kit

Steve Spencer
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · OM-D or NEX 6 kit

I am debating between two kits for my partner. She is a very good and experienced photographer who has clearly outgrown her current kit built around a Nikon D40x. She will carry the camera with a small zoom lens around in her purse most of the time, but also wants a fast normal prime for low light indoor shooting of mostly candies and a good macro lens for a range of macro shooting including some product photography. So we are debating between an OM-D with the Panasonic 14-42mm power zoom, a Panny Leica 25mm f/1.4, and an Olympus 60mm f/2.8 macro, and a NEX 6 with the Sony 16-50mm power zoom, and the upcoming Zeiss 32mm f/1.8 and 50mm f/2.8 macro. We ruled out the Fuji EX-1, because she didn't like the viewfinder lag, the autofocus performance, and found the kit zoom a bit too big to carry around most of the time as she would like. It seems that the OM-D has the advantage of faster autofocus and very good in body image stabilization. The NEX 6, in contrast would probably have better image quality and high ISO performance. She also has some interest in architectural and automotive photography, but will likely use my full frame DSLR kit for that. Any advise on which kit you think would be better and why would be much appreciated.

Dec 10, 2012 at 02:03 AM
Jabberwockt
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · OM-D or NEX 6 kit

If you both use the same system, you can share lens.

Dec 10, 2012 at 02:08 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · OM-D or NEX 6 kit

We will probably both use both systems, but I am going to keep my Canon full frame system and she wants something smaller, so we will be using two systems.

Dec 10, 2012 at 03:26 AM
dbehrens
• • •
p.1 #4 · OM-D or NEX 6 kit

I just went through the same drill researching for my wife and was trying to decide between the Nex-6 or Panasonic GH-2 or GH-3. After a lot of research I decided on the Panasonic. However, her needs are about 75% video and 25% stills - and the Panasonic's forte is its video.

However, had this been a pursuit to shoot primarily stills I would have chosen the Olympus OM-D E-M5. Reason being its better dynamic range, color rendition, in-body image stabilization and Olympus's great assortment of good glass.

Dec 10, 2012 at 04:11 AM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.1 #5 · OM-D or NEX 6 kit

You can't go wrong either way. I suggest that you go to a camera store that has both the OM-D and NEX 6 in stock and let her handle both cameras and see if she likes the feel of one better than the other. I think the OM-D is a great camera and have recommended it to friends, but when I've played with it myself for some reason it just doesn't feel like something I want to use. My NEX 7 on the other hand felt great in my hand the first time I picked it up and I've really bonded with it. Both cameras are so great that I think you might want to look beyond the specs.

Dec 10, 2012 at 04:25 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · OM-D or NEX 6 kit

She has held both cameras and likes the grip of the Sony better, but the dial and controls on the OM-D better. With the battery grip overall she probably prefers the OM-D, but that makes it a bit bigger too.

Dec 10, 2012 at 05:10 AM
curious80
• • •
p.1 #7 · OM-D or NEX 6 kit

The availability, size and price of zeiss lenses is unknown at this point, so it is hard to compare. If you are willing to wait then it will be easier to decide when those lenses are officially announced.

Dec 10, 2012 at 05:39 AM
cputeq
• • • •
p.1 #8 · OM-D or NEX 6 kit

I'd say OMD, just for the lens selection. Also, you could consider using the Olympus 12-50 kit (instead of the PZ zoom), as it can double as your macro lens - it's not true 1:1 but it gets pretty darn close, and should suffice for most product macros. The PL25 is almost reason enough to own the system.

If you use part 1 of the OMD grip, you get a good hand-hole without making it (too) much larger, and you have the option of going full grip for more juice and more hand-hold, of course at a larger size. At least you have this option

Both cameras look pretty spiffy IMO, but right now m43 has it over on the NEX when it comes to lenses and some features. Also, I'd probably prefer my OM-D's controls to the NEX, though I own the 5N and not the 6.

I don't think you can go wrong with either camera, really.

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:31 AM
you2
• • •
p.1 #9 · OM-D or NEX 6 kit

If she is going to use full frame where max quality counts; I would go for the e-m5 as a small high performance camera with good lenses; but to be honest before the actual purchase i would second Jeff's comment that she really has to try them out in a shop. For me the evf on the nex 7 was no where as pleasant to use as the one on the e-m5 (though some of this has to do with the store usage of florescence lights. The nex 6 has a different evf and you should definitely try them both indoors and outdoors (if possible). Also if the purchase is today one has to consider the current lens selection (and quality of those lenses). Even the kit zooms for the micro 4/3 are pretty decent compared to sony; and the newer high end lenses are spectacular though the mid wide (28-35mm equiv) is a bit weak; but still stronger than sony.

Dec 10, 2012 at 01:48 PM
photo chris

p.1 #10 · OM-D or NEX 6 kit

I own the EM5 and the Nex5n (which I choose after a shootout with the 7) and if the EM5 could do 60p in video mode, I would not own a Nex camera. Both are great and have individual strengths. IQ is pretty much indistinguishable between the two, the EM5 sensor is amazing. Lens selection is a big advantage with M43 as Nex lacks fast zooms and the prime lineup has holes.

Some EM5 pros/cons: 5-axis means all lenses are stabilized in photo and video mode, and its superior to Sony's OSS IMHO. With the grip you have options for extra controls and two batteries, the OLED screen is bigger/better than Nex, EM5 shutter is much quieter, live bulb takes the guesswork out of long exposures, touch focus/shutter makes it easy to shoot candids without looking like you're shooting and the video quality is surprisingly good though limited to 30p - its actually better than the A99 that's I'm currently testing - see below. It has fantastic weather sealing as well, get a sealed lens and you've got a great worry free kit. It's not all rainbows and puppy dogs though - the EM5 is a bit of a pain to get setup as you can customize everything, some features are buried in menus and there's no built in flash.

Some Nex pros/cons: more video framerates though not any better IQ wise, sweep panorama makes great pano's a snap, it has a few tricks to take great lowlight/HDR shots (jpeg's), body is a bit smaller but lenses are all pretty big, focus peaking is unbeatable for manual focus, with a Metabones adapter you have full control of Canon lenses, touch focus shutter great on the 5n as well - though I don't know if the 6 has it. Nex cameras are saddled with Sony's goofy consumer icon menus which are a bit of a pain and I find Nex controls to be inferior to the EM5's

Here's a short test video I did with the A99 and the EM5, full screen at 1080p you can really see the difference.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-Y6RScV1Vw&feature=youtu.be

Here's a series of comparison images and a lot of Dpreview troll BS.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3347335

I keep the 5n because its a cheap/small backup that I can use with any lens via adapters and it shoots 60p. Since getting the EM5, I don't shoot stills with the 5n anymore. I kept it to be a companion to the A99, but its video is so dreadful I may be returning it and heading back to Canon - if I do I'll get a Metabones to get 60p on Canon lenses with the 5n.

Dec 10, 2012 at 02:48 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · OM-D or NEX 6 kit

Photo Chris -

Sounds like you should pick up a GH3...incredible video capabilities and you'd only need one system. Does 24p, 60p...bit rates up to 72 Mbps...

Dec 10, 2012 at 02:56 PM
vchowdhary
• • •
p.1 #12 · OM-D or NEX 6 kit

Man I'd say OMD if .... the designers hadn't designed the buttons for the fingers of a 3 year old girl.

IQ wise, Sony is definitely better. But the lenses sony offers are just not comparable to the m4/3 platform.

Dec 10, 2012 at 09:41 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.1 #13 · OM-D or NEX 6 kit

vchowdhary wrote:
Man I'd say OMD if .... the designers hadn't designed the buttons for the fingers of a 3 year old girl.

IQ wise, Sony is definitely better. But the lenses sony offers are just not comparable to the m4/3 platform.

The native mount lens issue has definitely been a check in favor of m4/3, but I think that issue is slowly equalizing. In addition to the three autofocus Zeiss lenses that are expected this Spring, I'm looking forward to seeing some reviews of the new Sony 35/1.8 oss which is scheduled to start shipping later this month. If it's as good as the 50/1.8 oss, it may be a great autofocus normal on the NEX.

Dec 10, 2012 at 09:58 PM
jstephens62
• • •
p.1 #14 · OM-D or NEX 6 kit

Jeff Kott wrote:
You can't go wrong either way. I suggest that you go to a camera store that has both the OM-D and NEX 6 in stock and let her handle both cameras and see if she likes the feel of one better than the other. I think the OM-D is a great camera and have recommended it to friends, but when I've played with it myself for some reason it just doesn't feel like something I want to use. My NEX 7 on the other hand felt great in my hand the first time I picked it up and I've
...Show more

+1. I have the OMD and like it a lot. The power zoom may not be the best lens for still photos, I would look at a pancake prime to fill that role.

Dec 10, 2012 at 10:28 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · OM-D or NEX 6 kit

jstephens62 wrote:
+1. I have the OMD and like it a lot. The power zoom may not be the best lens for still photos, I would look at a pancake prime to fill that role.

She does want a very small zoom to carry the camera I her purse and doesn't want a pancake prime (she doesn't find that versatile enough). If not the Panny 14-42 power zoom, what small zoom would you recommend.

Dec 10, 2012 at 10:44 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · OM-D or NEX 6 kit

Steve, if you go NEX, I'd look into the new Sony 35/1.8 OSS. It is testing very well, and it has OSS built-in. If I was still shooting NEX, that would be my next buy.

Dec 10, 2012 at 10:50 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · OM-D or NEX 6 kit

The very best kit zoom for m4/3 is the 14-45 Panasonic. Very sharp throughout the range. The 12-50 is more versatile, but typical kit zoom sharpness. The macro mode is quite good, though, and its weather sealed and internally zooming, plus wider. Just don't expect top flight image quality out of it.

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:57 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · OM-D or NEX 6 kit

Ok Jordan what flash would you recommend for the OM-D. The included toy flash is less than useless in bright light for fill. Seem to have a GN of about 5. Must say using flash on the Om-D is frustrating compared to how it's done on my Canon cameras. Doesn't help the manual is a sick joke.

Dec 11, 2012 at 02:23 AM
cputeq
• • • •
p.1 #19 · OM-D or NEX 6 kit

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Ok Jordan what flash would you recommend for the OM-D. The included toy flash is less than useless in bright light for fill. Seem to have a GN of about 5. Must say using flash on the Om-D is frustrating compared to how it's done on my Canon cameras. Doesn't help the manual is a sick joke.

My name's not Jordan, but it's Jeremy...close enough, so that gives me an excuse to pipe in

I use the 600R with my OM-D - nice little flash, small and takes 2x AA but about the same league as say a 430EX II or SB700, etc. A bit overpriced at retail (I bought mine new, ouch) but I didn't want a huge 50R at the time.

The video LED is useless and annoyingly blinks while it's in remote mode, but otherwise no issues so far.

Dec 11, 2012 at 03:09 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · OM-D or NEX 6 kit

I use the Metz 50 AF-1. It's a good flash, though a little big. One thing about the OM-D is that it underexposes in flash situations. You'll need to add about 1 stop of FEC over what you'd normally use. (this is with any flash from what I've seen). For most portraits I'm at +1.3 to +2.0 in FEC, depending on what the subject is wearing.

Edited on Dec 11, 2012 at 05:03 AM · View previous versions

Dec 11, 2012 at 03:41 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password