Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · PW question

Matt OHarver
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · PW question

I have a question for everyone. I've got PW plus III's and PW plus II's and when I mix them in the studio I have to limit my shutter speed to 1/200. However when I take my PW Plus III's out of the equation and just use the PW plus II's I can go all the way to 1/250 the sync speed of my D4. I get a small darkening on the side in portrait or lower in landscape evidence of Shutter and sync issues.

Is there a reason that adding the PW Plus III's would cause this issue? I thought they were all backwards compatible? If it matters they are all on the same channel and I use a PW Plus III on the camera. BTW this is with AB800 strobes x 4.

Matt

Dec 08, 2012 at 03:59 PM
PShizzy
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · PW question

have you tried it the other way around with the III on the flash? Also, have you tried this setup with a different camera?

Other than that, I would say perhaps look at the mode the III is in, perhaps there's a way to speed up the timing.

Max

Dec 08, 2012 at 11:11 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · PW question

Matt OHarver wrote:
...I've got PW plus III's and PW plus II's and when I mix them in the studio I have to limit my shutter speed to 1/200. However when I take my PW Plus III's out of the equation and just use the PW plus II's I can go all the way to 1/250 the sync speed of my D4. ...Is there a reason that adding the PW Plus III's would cause this issue? I thought they were all backwards compatible?

They are backward compatible in that they'll send and receive on the same channels, etc., but the III seems to have a bit more propogation delay to the signal. Added to the "just barely within sync" 1/250 shutter of the full-frame D4 it adds up to more than can work. (It's even worse with Canon's full-frame 5D series.)

You might get it to work if you use a Plus II as the transmitter, and use the Plus IIIs only as receivers.

If that doesn't work, the next option -- which may be worthwhile in any event -- is to pony up for a MiniTT1 transmitter. It's not an inexpensive device, but you get the advantage of Pocket Wizard's HyperSync shutter-timing optimization, which should allow you to dial in timing adjustments to get you 1/250 and even higher with your Alien Bees gear. (Some people aren't aware that while HyperSync requires a TT1 or TT5 transmitter, it will work with TT5, MultiMax, and Plus receivers.)

HTH.

Dec 09, 2012 at 01:53 AM
Matt OHarver
• • • •
p.1 #4 · PW question

Thanks Max, headed back to studio on Sunday I will try all of your suggestions. I went from totally reliable Paul Buff wireless to PW and am frustrated. Will return with results.

Matt

Dec 09, 2012 at 02:16 AM
Matt OHarver
• • • •
p.1 #5 · PW question

BrianO wrote:
They are backward compatible in that they'll send and receive on the same channels, etc., but the III seems to have a bit more propogation delay to the signal. Added to the "just barely within sync" 1/250 shutter of the full-frame D4 it adds up to more than can work. (It's even worse with Canon's full-frame 5D series.)

You might get it to work if you use a Plus II as the transmitter, and use the Plus IIIs only as receivers.

If that doesn't work, the next option -- which may be worthwhile in any event -- is to pony up for
...Show more

Thanks Brian. I'm going to put the Plus II's as the transmitter and put both of the Pluss III's I have in RX mode and see what happens tomorrow. I bought two more Plus II's and may just end up selling the Plus III's. While they give me more channels they have also brought on some headaches. I've never noticed this on location where I just use the Plus III's with one light off camera, but any time I mix them it does.

Matt

Dec 09, 2012 at 04:55 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password