Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Gymnastics.....Finally

Vancouver47
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Gymnastics.....Finally

Wonderful shots Russ. It's great to see the season underway and I look forward to seeing the season. Pleased to see Nansey is back. Standing still is all she needs to do.

I too have been using the 85LII with the 1Dx with BIF no less, I posted a few pelicans and gulls and I was really pleased with the results.

Edited on Dec 11, 2012 at 08:22 PM · View previous versions

Dec 11, 2012 at 02:00 PM
Kenneth Farver
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Gymnastics.....Finally

Superb Shots! thanks for sharing!

Dec 11, 2012 at 02:11 PM
Tom D
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Gymnastics.....Finally

Wow, this one snuck right by me. And 21 replies is no surprise- a stellar warmup set, Russ. You never seem to miss a beat once a new season begins. That new gear is working well, and must have you in heaven. Shot #10 has both cream and razor sharp- beautiful IQ. Are you finding the 'X' to be a big overall upgrade from the Mk4?

As I was reading each of Guy's sentences describing his vision for a specific shot, a sense of deja vu came over me, lol. And there it is- the 'Tom D' (as you officially named it). I was amazed at how quickly and accurately you scored that frame, Russ- it's really a sweet shot.

As someone said earlier in your thread: "talented athletes, beautifully captured, love seeing these posts."

Dec 11, 2012 at 10:00 PM
andyz
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Gymnastics.....Finally

As much praise as you give the camera, we recognize it is just the tool. These are inspiring images.

Dec 12, 2012 at 12:29 AM
MakoShark
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Gymnastics.....Finally

Copied from Russ:
"I try to avoid "bulls-eyeing" my subject and I also try to leave some breathing room in images where motion is implied. As well, there's some attention to the rule of thirds. So, when the original image provides flexibility with framing, those are some of the things I'm thinking about."

This I am finding is one of the most tedious aspects of choosing the final presentation across the different sports.

Russ some great shots to get the season rolling and some great brainstorming in this thread by many folks. Definitely gives folks like me plenty to chew on and apply.

Dec 12, 2012 at 08:29 AM
BillP57
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Gymnastics.....Finally

Beautiful shots, you certainly capture the grace of the sport.

Bill

Dec 12, 2012 at 03:48 PM
fstop212
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Gymnastics.....Finally

these are really awesome

Dec 13, 2012 at 12:49 PM
JohnPinette

p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Gymnastics.....Finally

Great shots! The 1DX is killer with a talented shooter behind it! Do you have any more of Georgia DaBritz? Have watched her in the gym since she was 4, so would love to see more pics of her!

John

Dec 13, 2012 at 01:43 PM
WarrenL
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Gymnastics.....Finally

Russ, great shots as usual. I shoot 15-20 meets a year hundreds of kids per meet. Just getting good shots of their routines is a challenge. I would love to be able to just work with one team.

Dec 13, 2012 at 03:05 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Gymnastics.....Finally

I've been slacking! Many thanks for all the comments. I know a gymnastics-starved forum when I see one!

Caleb: I agree with you about beginner's luck. It often happens to me that following a first-of-the-season event where I feel I was rusty, I come away from subsequent events within that same season feeling I haven't yet lived up to the precedent I set at the first outing! Go figure...

Thanks, Chris.

Matt: I appreciate the kind words. Thanks!

Guy: I certainly will keep it in mind. Thanks.

CW100: Thank you.

Vancouver47: Glad to hear the 1Dx + 85L II combo is working for you. I too am glad Nansy is back. Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks, Kenneth!

Tom: Thank you, my friend. The 1Dx is a very definite upgrade, even though I don't really understand why it would be so. The user interface is better, and the AF system is better to work with. It's difficult to articulate the hows and whys, but I do feel much more comfortable shooting with the 1Dx, and I find it much more adaptable to different shooting challenges. The 1DIV remains a great camera. But.... As far as this gymnastics thing, this post represents the baseline for me. Not much action, nothing particularly exciting. But I've wet the whistle and I'm looking forward to the first home meet (January 19). Should be a fun season. As always, keep those ideas coming. And glad to hear you enjoyed that Ashley blast from the past. Maybe Kristina will be next!

Andy: Nice of you to say. Thank you.

Manny: Happy to keep you thinking! Thanks for your comments.

Thanks, Bill. I'm glad you liked them.

Thanks fstop212.

Warren: Not just one team, but a very good, high-level team. I'm fortunate to be working with this particular program. Thank you.

Hey John, many thanks! I know you see enough of this stuff to get sick of it, so I appreciate your feedback. Here are a few more shots of Georgia. You won't be surprised to learn she has quickly become a crowd favorite.

G1.
http://www.russisabellaphotography.com/Gymnastics2013/_AI_8396.jpg

G2.
http://www.russisabellaphotography.com/Gymnastics2013/_AI_9842.jpg

G3.
http://www.russisabellaphotography.com/Gymnastics2013/_AI_8548.jpg

G4.
http://www.russisabellaphotography.com/Gymnastics2013/_AI_9843.jpg

G5.
http://www.russisabellaphotography.com/Gymnastics2013/_AI_8402.jpg

Dec 13, 2012 at 04:45 PM
lhryshko
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Gymnastics.....Finally

Sorry to be late to the party Russ but I have a bad case of the gymnastics parent blues right now (injuries, transitions to volleyball/dance, no 1DX, etc.).

Great opening salvo. I'm sure that you and 1DX will be creating some serious magic this year.

Dec 22, 2012 at 03:27 AM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Gymnastics.....Finally

Russ....I don't know how I missed this one. Getting old I guess. Not much left to say that hasn't been already said. Looking forward to the upcoming season and I thing Miss Nansy is going to have some competition as "hometown favorite" from the young lady in #9.

Great work as always...

Dec 22, 2012 at 07:16 AM
fstop212
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Gymnastics.....Finally

really nice job here.

Dec 26, 2012 at 10:46 AM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Gymnastics.....Finally

Fantastic work Russ. I love them all!

Dec 27, 2012 at 04:34 PM
Jcaron5

p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Gymnastics.....Finally

Let me preface my comments by saying I am the very definition of a beginner. Yes I played around with a 20D for 5 years taking snap shots and trying different settings to see changes in the results etc. but I have oh so much to learn..

With that being said, from a purely layman's point of view these photos are amazing! I recently began shooting my 8 year old daughters gymnastics meets to preserve the memories. Leave it to me to choose the most difficult venue for taking photographs (or should I blame my daughter? )

Anyway I have been searching to see what truly great gymnastics photographs should look like. I believe I have found them.

Truly remarkable job Russ..... I can only speak as a parent, not a person that knows the technicals of what makes a great shot, but I would pay one heck of a lot of money for shots of my daughter that looked this good!

PS, not to slight other gymnastics photos I have seen here in the last week or so, obviously this forum is loaded with very talented photographers.

Jan 16, 2013 at 09:23 AM
BobnJake
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Gymnastics.....Finally

Russ, as always, nice stuff. Gee, I wish my "warmup" was as nice!!! Look forward to your future meets.

Russ, I know 3 or 4 weeks ago, someone was talking about the success they were having using "AF point auto switching". You mentioned that you were going to look into it, any luck, any initial impressions?

Thanks again for posting
Bob

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:10 AM
dweverett

p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Gymnastics.....Finally

Russ,

I'd seen this thread when you posted it but after your response and suggestions to a post of mine with a photo collage I went and looked at your website as well.

First, let me say that your shots reinforce that I have no business posting anything on this site.

More importantly though, looking at your images made me realize that it was a really dumb statement that I made about trying something different because over all of the meets/years I had shots covering pretty much all of the shootable pieces of my daughter's routine. Not only is there obvious room to improve some of the ones that I have (which I really already knew), your very tight crops give a different perspective than what I've generally captured. It would be nice if my daughter smiled when she did the routine but even absent that, the concentration and intensity required can make for an exceptional image.

Thanks for posting
Bill

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Gymnastics.....Finally

Thanks, Larry. Sorry to hear about your case of the blues. I'll try to cheer you up with some images later this weekend--Utah has its first home meet on Saturday. I hope the injuries you mention are not serious.

Frank: Thanks for your comments. I'm looking forward to the season as well. Should be fun.

Thanks, fstop212.

Ted: Many thanks, my friend!

Jcaron5: Wow, thanks for your kind words. If your daughter is 8, that gives you plenty of time to work your way up right along with her. Just keep shooting and when you're up for it, post some of your images here. No better way to learn!

Bob: I believe I did modify my AF settings for shooting NBA to the next highest 9from the default) speed for auto switching between the AF points, and that works well, but I haven't done any side-by-side comparisons that would allow me to say it's an improvement. I think this should be more meaningful for gymnastics, and I haven't yet had a chance to try what was recommended (I read about it after the event that led to this post, and there hasn't been another meet since.) This Saturday will be my chance, and I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for your comments.

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:30 AM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Gymnastics.....Finally

dweverett wrote:
Russ,

I'd seen this thread when you posted it but after your response and suggestions to a post of mine with a photo collage I went and looked at your website as well.

First, let me say that your shots reinforce that I have no business posting anything on this site.

More importantly though, looking at your images made me realize that it was a really dumb statement that I made about trying something different because over all of the meets/years I had shots covering pretty much all of the shootable pieces of my daughter's routine. Not only is there obvious
...Show more

Bill: You absolutely have business posting your images (and anything else you want to post) on this site. A very significant amount of what I know and apply to my sports shooting was learned right here on the Sports Corner, and if I never had posted my images alongside those of others whose skills were far beyond my own, I never would have learned most of what I've learned. So yes, this is exactly where you should be posting, and joining in the discussion as you have, for the sake of moving forward with your efforts to accomplish something different and perhaps better than you've accomplished before. You've demonstrated your willingness to consider and work with the feedback you receive, and that's a key ingredient in all of this. Thank you for your very kind words, and keep at it! Recognizing there is room for improvement in your work is one of the best motivators going.

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:37 AM
dweverett

p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Gymnastics.....Finally

Russ Isabella wrote:
Bill: You absolutely have business posting your images (and anything else you want to post) on this site. A very significant amount of what I know and apply to my sports shooting was learned right here on the Sports Corner, and if I never had posted my images alongside those of others whose skills were far beyond my own, I never would have learned most of what I've learned. So yes, this is exactly where you should be posting, and joining in the discussion as you have, for the sake of moving forward with your efforts to accomplish something
...Show more

I'll keep posting. I'm old enough I don't worry too much about looking a bit like an idiot. If I was worried about that I would never have thought it was a good idea when a younger friend convinced me it would be a good idea to buy bikes and try motocross a few years back. Thankfully there weren't any sports photographers around to record that.

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:44 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.