1       2      
       end

Archive 2012 · Tell me what’s wrong with this

Littlefield
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Tell me what’s wrong with this

ben egbert wrote:
Hi Jim. I have done some sky replacement (see split rock) but it goes against my nature. The skill I want to develop is the skill of discovering and capturing the shot not in post processing it in later.

I understand that post processing is essential and have learned lots of stuff here, but I want to use it to bring out what was already there, not add what was not.

I may be wrong but don't think those guys like Jim, the mod in the landscape forum, like to add a completely different sky either but rather blend the existing.
Don

Dec 11, 2012 at 06:59 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Tell me what’s wrong with this

I never suspected that either. The best guys over there get a lot more time at good locations than I do. I think the shots are honest.

Dec 11, 2012 at 07:25 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Tell me what’s wrong with this

ben egbert wrote:
...... I think the shots are honest.

I think you are naive about this subject. I am not going to mention names or specific images but I see a great many images that have been very heavily manipulated.

It is often impossible to tell if a sky has been replaced, but I see a great many examples where it is clear that at a minimum the sky has been heavily colorized. Sometimes skies really are wild and intense but I see many examples were the same "photographer" seems to find these once in a lifetime skies for every image they submit.

The skies are only a small part of the post processing manipulations that are being performed. Many of the super stars have mentioned using Nik software. Nik facilities very extensive manipulation. This software goes an order of magnitude beyond simple dodge and burn and the use of photoshop brushes. There is also an arsenal of filters such as Topaz which can greatly alter an image and the effects can be blended in for different areas of an image.

Is there a big difference in "honesty" between replacing a sky and using software to do a nearly total transformation of an image? You have to decide that for yourself. For a long time I also would not replace a sky. Recently I have done that for several of my travel images. I am not skilled enough to be trying to create some masterpiece but I have tried to keep the image from being to boring for even friends and family. At camera club we always talked about "makers" and not photographers. It was assumed that post processing might be a major part of image making. I am not saying I think heavy manipulation is honest or dishonest, but I do see it as very prevalent. And replacing skies is only a small part of the manipulations being performed.

Dec 11, 2012 at 08:42 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Tell me what’s wrong with this

AuntiPode wrote:
Actually I mostly work by eye and only get precision when I need to explain, Jim. Using the water bands to level it, your original needed 5 degrees of CCW rotation to level and, working Q & D by eye I gave it 5.5 degrees, over-correcting by half a degree - 10%.

If it's any consolation, when I set my horizons by eye and post, folks are happy to correct me for even half a degree of error. Fussy critiques. It's what we do.

Thanks, I am getting lots of help when I post images here. Sometimes being out of level seems natural to me. Just as sometimes I can't seem to get colors or saturation right. After looking at my Butte image a few days later, I can't help but wonder what was I thinking. At this point the image clearly looks serious out of level and I just could not see that before.

Dec 11, 2012 at 08:47 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Tell me what’s wrong with this

Despite the fact I have no qualms about photo manipulation and do a fair amount of it, as far as I can recall, I've never replaced a sky. Perhaps I should. I am perfectly willing to change the hue and saturation of a sky because they are often rendered differently than I remember or at least not as dramatically as they should be rendered.

Why I seem to have scruples or at least some reluctance about certain kinds of landscape manipulations and not others, I've no idea. OTOH, I've never aspired to be consistent.

Dec 11, 2012 at 09:25 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Tell me what’s wrong with this

ben egbert wrote:
Ha ha, gear heads might be moved in strange ways. I can get pretty emotional over a 1950's English motorcycle.

How about a 2005 English motorcycle, Ben?
http://photos.imageevent.com/bhakti_rider/900pixelfilesforfm/temp/IMG_9752_%20900.jpg

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:26 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Tell me what’s wrong with this

Disk brakes and no kick starter? Probably not an Amal carb either. No matter, I prefer thumpers. A Matchbox or Vello or Goldstar.

I wonder if it has a Smiths tach? It does look like a motorcycle however and probably sounds good.

Just kidding, I am sure this is a great bike and I always stop to look them over when I see one.

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:30 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.