Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2012 · Would you employ the D600 for wedding duty?

Mykal
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · Would you employ the D600 for wedding duty?

Thanks very much for the compliments about our work

I love that the D600 is smaller, lighter and quieter than the D800. I find that the D800 focuses faster in lower light (without focus assist) however I find the D600 to be more accurate. D800 tends to grab the background more often than the D600. Having used the D700 extensively for the past 3 or so years I find the layout of the D800 body better.

Dec 05, 2012 at 10:21 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.3 #2 · Would you employ the D600 for wedding duty?

Deebo wrote:
I'm looking to pick up a full frame body in the next couple months to be my primary body for weddings with my D7000 pulling backup duty. I don't really think I need a D800. I don't really have the need for the eleventy billion MP and the extra 12 AF points don't really make me foam at the mouth either. I love the ergonomics of the D7000 so I'll like the D600 there as well. I know the D800 has better build quality. I know the IQ is no reason at all for concern but I wonder if the
...Show more

I can't imagine why a d600 wouldn't work just fine for weddings. I can remember more than a few guys using a pair of d70's for their weddings and doing quite well. IMO, your d7000 is more than adequate to the task.

That is not to say that there aren't benefits to using the various other Nikon bodies available, both DX and FX. The camera feature list can be important, making your life easier and able to withstand more punishment. But, a lot of that stuff is often creature comfort, rather than necessity, excepting the extremes of course.

I feel quite comfortable in saying that a skilled photographer could do quite well with weddings, shooting any of Nikon's current lineup. The d3200 might be an exception to that, because I have no experience with it. But, I wouldn't hesitate to use a d5100 or d7000. Certainly any of the FX bodies would be just fine. From what I've seen, the IQ from most any modern camera is just miles ahead of what was the absolute best, just a few years ago.

I'd say, pick the body that is a comfortable fit for your hands and wallet and don't worry about it. But, that presumes that you have the lenses that you need. I believe that good glass trumps any body. If you need good glass, then I'd suggest buying another d7k for backup, good glass and maybe some speedlights, if you don't have any.

One thing to consider. If you encounter the Bridezilla with a full Gargoyle entourage and they trash the reception hall, with your pair of d7k's somewhere underneath all of the debris, it won't cost you $4000, just to replace both bodies. You can have 2 new units the next day, for $1800, and be ready for your next wedding 24 hours later. Meanwhile, if you have insurance, maybe you'll get a check within a week or 2 or 3. If not, maybe your lawyer will be able to get Bridezilla to replace your cameras within a few months....

good luck
Kerry

Dec 05, 2012 at 11:01 PM
KibblesNbitz
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · Would you employ the D600 for wedding duty?

Would I personally use one? No, simply because of the lack of an AF-ON button. I realize you can reprogram the AE-L button, but its not the same as the positioning is awkward and has a different feel to it than a real AF-ON button (click vs smooth)

That being said, it's perfectly capable for wedding duty. It's just not for me, because of that and the ergonomics/size issue.

Dec 06, 2012 at 03:00 AM
Jammy Straub
• • • • •
p.3 #4 · Would you employ the D600 for wedding duty?

JimFox wrote:
+1

+2

Having used at least 6 different bodies ranging from manual focus 35mm gear, medium format gear, to modern DSLRs to shoot weddings... you can use anything your are comfortable with. Knowing how to work with your tool is more important than the capabilities of your tool.

Though that doesn't sell cameras... It's also why I'm using a camera from mid 2009 at the end of 2012.

Dec 06, 2012 at 04:40 AM
jmcfadden
• • • • • • •
p.3 #5 · Would you employ the D600 for wedding duty?

I used my D100 for weddings, you are miles ahead with the D600

Dec 06, 2012 at 05:58 AM
equestrianguy
• •
Account locked
p.3 #6 · Would you employ the D600 for wedding duty?

So very true. I keep trying to tell people the equipment doesn't matter and it's using what you work with to produce the results that matter.

Seriously, I would get the sickest looks from people for using an 85mm 1.8. I even had one photographer that started asking me why I didn't use the 70-200 instead since as he said, "it was so much better". I responded with, It may work better for you but it doesn't really suit my specific style.

For me now it's about having a camera that can do the job with lenses that can produce quality results that are small enough and light enough not to become troublesome. I honestly think big pro lenses can be a negative. I think when the 135 1.8 comes out I may just be in absolute heaven.

Dec 06, 2012 at 06:13 AM
scottiet
• •
p.3 #7 · Would you employ the D600 for wedding duty?

mshi wrote:
D600's AF tends to struggle in poor low light conditions. If you tend to shoot weddings in good light, it's no-brainer.

I have using the D600 for shooting in hockey rinks and I concur with mshi that the af does struggle in low light

Dec 06, 2012 at 12:30 PM
Deebo
• •
p.3 #8 · Would you employ the D600 for wedding duty?

Mykal wrote:
I have used the D600 for the last couple weddings and I think I may just continue using it and replace the D800.

If you have time you can check out this gallery of a D600 wedding. My wife and I shoot together and we were both using D600s. She used hers with a 24-70 and 70 - 200 VR 2 while I used mine with a 35 1.4 and 85 1.4. I believe I switched to the 28 1.8 for some of the dance photos.

The link is http://saab-weddings.smugmug.com/2012SaabWeddings/Lisa-Tim/26727847_R2pfbs#!i=2237311134&k=T8ZqXsC

The password which is case sensitive is LiTi.

It's 783 photos so you
...Show more

Loved this set!! Thank for sharing!! Looks like I wont be disappointed at all!!

Dec 06, 2012 at 05:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

joeyvu
• •
p.3 #9 · Would you employ the D600 for wedding duty?

Those are nice photos....

Dec 06, 2012 at 05:58 PM
joeyvu
• •
p.3 #10 · Would you employ the D600 for wedding duty?

Mykal wrote:
I have used the D600 for the last couple weddings and I think I may just continue using it and replace the D800.

If you have time you can check out this gallery of a D600 wedding. My wife and I shoot together and we were both using D600s. She used hers with a 24-70 and 70 - 200 VR 2 while I used mine with a 35 1.4 and 85 1.4. I believe I switched to the 28 1.8 for some of the dance photos.

The link is http://saab-weddings.smugmug.com/2012SaabWeddings/Lisa-Tim/26727847_R2pfbs#!i=2237311134&k=T8ZqXsC

The password which is case sensitive is LiTi.

It's 783 photos so you
...Show more

Those are nice photos Mykal...

Dec 06, 2012 at 05:58 PM
DavidWEGS
• • • •
p.3 #11 · Would you employ the D600 for wedding duty?

While I have to agree, the AF is not stellar in low light, it does the job adequately for wedding work. I am happier with its lock when it does hit target, than with that of the D700. More keepers from the 600, but you have to be ready to employ techniques like finding a contrast line for it to lock onto. You don't need to work as hard on that with the D700/D3.

I would take it and will.

Dec 06, 2012 at 06:47 PM
dj dunzie
• • • • •
p.3 #12 · Would you employ the D600 for wedding duty?

Great images Mykal!

Scott... just curious how you have the D600's AF system set up for hockey shooting... I've actually been blown away by my keeper rate for hockey with the D600, even though I feel the AF doesn't maybe impress you the way a D4 or D3S might at first blush. It just plain seems to get the job done for me for whatever reason... I honestly think my keeper / in-focus rate with the D600 is every bit as good as my D3S and likely better than the D700 which to me was a real surprise. It doesn't "snap" as quick maybe, but it's still fairly quick, and it tracks very well it seems to me.

Dec 07, 2012 at 09:28 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.3 #13 · Would you employ the D600 for wedding duty?

The difference might be in the lenses, DJ. Not many amateurs own and use the 300 f/2.8 or 400 f/2.8 for hockey.

just sayin
Kerry

Dec 07, 2012 at 09:39 PM
dj dunzie
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · Would you employ the D600 for wedding duty?

Fair enough, except I believe Scott uses a 200f2VR!

Dec 08, 2012 at 04:47 AM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.3 #15 · Would you employ the D600 for wedding duty?

Well, if he's using the 200/2, then my supposition is out the window. So, I'll bow out now.

Kerry

Dec 08, 2012 at 08:01 PM
woos
• •
p.3 #16 · Would you employ the D600 for wedding duty?

D600, D700, D800, are all great wedding cameras. Have a pro wedding photog friend that uses a combination of D700 and MF film. He tried the D600 out and liked it a lot. Dunno if he'll purchase one though, as he can rent for free lol. It's very capable camera. Worth looking at the Canon 5d3 as well, it's also fantastic!

As for AF, remember one of the most popular wedding cameras is the 5d mark II. And the original 5d. ;-)

D600: It's full frame, has amazing low light performance, is light (a plus for that imho), and is priced right.

24mp is more than enough and won't take as long to process as d800 files (meh). If you're delivering 6mp files (seems to be the norm these days), those 24mp files shot at up to, say, 6400 ISO, will look *fantastic* sized at 6mp when you export them.

Really though let's be honest here. A d7000, d90, Canon 40d, D2x, D200, will all shoot a wedding with no problem. Researching the venue and exploring the lighting options and being prepared are going to matter the most. Better cam just gives more options.

Dec 08, 2012 at 09:20 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password