Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       end

Archive 2012 · 5D3, 6D and D600 true RAW (dcraw) comparison

Rickuz
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · 5D3, 6D and D600 true RAW (dcraw) comparison

mttran wrote:
You can extract milk from a glass of chocolate milk but surely it 's not a whole milk, what we want is no chocolate mixed milk to begin with.

I'm sorry, but I'm not very good at solving riddles. I'd like to know what you mean though.

A wild guess: RAW performance (milk) can not be improved by a firmware update?

Feb 12, 2013 at 09:29 PM
KKFung
• • •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · 5D3, 6D and D600 true RAW (dcraw) comparison

gdanmitchell wrote:
Just a quick comment, probably to multiple posters, so don't take it personally.

The notion that comparisons must somehow neutralize the cameras to some default state makes some logical sense but little photographic sense. No one simply leaves images as they come from the camera - we tweak, adjust, compensate, and so forth to pull our ideal best image out of what the camera captures.

I've always felt that the best real world test would be one in which a photographer takes images from all of the test cameras and then uses a workflow optimized for each camera to produce the
...Show more

Great comment, totally agree.

I know those scientific data never lie to us but in real life the final result is composed by many many aspects of a camera and the way how a user to direct it.

Feb 14, 2013 at 01:33 PM
johnctharp
• • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · 5D3, 6D and D600 true RAW (dcraw) comparison

Rickuz wrote:
I'm sorry, but I'm not very good at solving riddles. I'd like to know what you mean though.

A wild guess: RAW performance (milk) can not be improved by a firmware update?

Sorry for the necro- this thread popped up in a Flikr discussion.

I've been pretty certain that the sensor in the 6D is almost exactly the same as what Canon put in the 5DIII and 1DX; they differ primarily in number of pixels and corresponding pixel size, which will make some difference when the RAWs are scrutinized from various perspectives.

Still, it's nice to see them compare well to Sony's newest sensors. If I hadn't originally invested in Canon, I'd probably be shooting a D600 instead of a 6D right now, but I'm glad that my 6D isn't that far off.

RE: Firmware- Firmware can absolutely make a difference in the quality of RAW output. It's the only thing that can! After the firmware (that being the camera's operating system and processing software) gets done with the sensor data and writes it to storage we're limited to 'destructive' editing in post.

Jun 16, 2013 at 07:10 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · 5D3, 6D and D600 true RAW (dcraw) comparison

D. Diggler wrote:
I like to see both but non-normalized is more important to me.

normalized is more important to me and basically all that is important when I am comparing between bodies

when it comes to imagining how a body might do at full reach though it might be nice to see non-normalized data to get an idea how it would work when take advantage of full extra MP count, but when it comes to comparing bodies I don't see how it makes sense to go by anything other than normalized values

Jun 16, 2013 at 08:23 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

skibum5
• • • • • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · 5D3, 6D and D600 true RAW (dcraw) comparison

And then when they update ACR to ideally support the camera in two months all of that hard fought 'real' world comparing you did is tossed in the bucket. Plus same settings for NR and so on don't do the same things for each camera, or even the same camera using different software versions, and it can hard to tell whether it a camera difference or just how they tweaked the software settings, you can try to balance for apparent visible detail, but it can be tricky. WHo want to take so much time and effort trying to sort that all out when a controlled DR test can be done in like 60 seconds? SNR tests are trickier, but those with the right setup and can do them quickly and easily too. WHy waste time on that stuff? Save the real shooting for real shooting.

It's so much easier under controlled conditions and with simple tests like black frame read noise (although a few real world tests to try to see how bothersome banding looks in detailed scenes might not hurt, as tricky as those are to carry out), so may variables, a slight upper haze dims the sun just a trace, etc. hard to keep things consistent

gdanmitchell wrote:
Just a quick comment, probably to multiple posters, so don't take it personally.

The notion that comparisons must somehow neutralize the cameras to some default state makes some logical sense but little photographic sense. No one simply leaves images as they come from the camera - we tweak, adjust, compensate, and so forth to pull our ideal best image out of what the camera captures.

I've always felt that the best real world test would be one in which a photographer takes images from all of the test cameras and then uses a workflow optimized for each camera to produce the
...Show more

Jun 16, 2013 at 08:25 PM
bridow
• • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · 5D3, 6D and D600 true RAW (dcraw) comparison

My blacks on the 5D3 never look that noisey at iso6400. Have a hard time believing this comparison just based on that... All are great cameras though and you should be happy with whatever you have.

Jun 16, 2013 at 08:32 PM
justruss
• • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · 5D3, 6D and D600 true RAW (dcraw) comparison

The funny part about all these testing methodology debates is that-- everyone is right.

There's value in controlled, non-edited (or limited editing) comparisons.
There's value in real-world, heavily edited, final output style comparisons.
There's value in non-normalized-for-resolution comparisons.
There's value in normalized-for-resolution comparisons.

And there are weaknesses in all of the above too. They each help us figure something out for different end-use scenarios. At the same time, those doing the testing, often for free (or without much web-traffic-income) have finite time and resources. Otherwise we'd also want tests specifically for portrait lighting/FLs/subjects, landscapes, green-vs-red channel dominance, mixed lighting, and on and on.

Thanks to the OP-- for a useful organization of information. One more piece in the puzzle.

Jun 17, 2013 at 07:04 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password