Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Buyer BEWARE: 5D Mark III on eBay Scam

zquaratella
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Buyer BEWARE: 5D Mark III on eBay Scam

Is the point that Paypal can't issue a refund if the transaction on eBay is cancelled? Or that you can't leave feedback anymore?

Dec 04, 2012 at 03:09 PM
nburwell
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · Buyer BEWARE: 5D Mark III on eBay Scam

I figure that if this truly was a scam, the seller would have never picked up the phone when you called and/or never answered any of your cooresponding communication via eBay. What matters is that you got your money back. Whether the other 8 buyers realize the error or not is on them.

With that said, I'm very cautious about buying high priced items on eBay. Although I have sold numerous lenses and camera bodies on there in the past, I'm still hesitant to actually buy one. If there was a good for a 5DIII, I would jump on it. But I would do my due dilligence to make sure the seller isn't going to screw me over. Fortunately I get some piece of mind paying through PayPal.

-Nick

Dec 04, 2012 at 03:16 PM
carrjar

p.2 #3 · Buyer BEWARE: 5D Mark III on eBay Scam

The more and more I examine this, the more and more I believe it was just a bizarre series of circumstances. The seller has a website (http://sultanadrive.com) and a name an phone number on it. It's the number I called, and it's the person I spoke with, Keith. It's also tied in with sultanadrivedotnet (via my PayPal refund) where he has a great reputation. He's answered every call, and email, and issued me a refund. I just can't stomach the "We have also been instructed to send a cancelation request to you and once this has been accepted by you, we will refund the entire amount of your purchase." part of his communication. Maybe it's just VERY poorly worded. I'm also the eternal optimist and hope for the best in people. Bottom line: I got my money back and if it's too good to be true, IT IS.

Dec 04, 2012 at 04:58 PM
Bacalhau
• •
p.2 #4 · Buyer BEWARE: 5D Mark III on eBay Scam

BUYER BEWARE:
Never, ever, under no circunstances cancel an open case with Ebay ( i.e.:for not receivin an item), unless they (Ebay) instruct to do so, or do it themselves. Once you open a case, if the seller tells you to cancel because he will refund you thru the cancelling the transaction process, and you do it, Ebay will consider your case closed/solved, and will not re-open again, if then the seller falls back.
I had that issue with one seller, and I was lucky enough to have my CC company behind me, and they did refund me before Paypal/Ebay reconsidered the case. It took me over a month, severall phone calls and emails to get it done.
There are few clever scammers out there, getting your item and them claiming that was not received or it's broken. Or the other way around, as the item was sent, and it's you that did not received it. Check the stats on seller - if he has anything below 98% or less than 5 sales, BEWARE. Still backup your transaction with a credit card, never with bank account.

BTW, Amazon has similar "deals"/scammers

Dec 04, 2012 at 07:07 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mmurph
• • • •
p.2 #5 · Buyer BEWARE: 5D Mark III on eBay Scam

Bacalhau wrote:
I was lucky enough to have my CC company behind me, and they did refund me before Paypal/Ebay reconsidered the case.

THIS! USE A CREDIT CARD!

Some of the eBay and PayPal protections are WORTHLESS.

They do the minimum possible in many cases. They make ARBITRARY, unilateral decisions, based on unpublished internal procedures (I'm looking at you, PayPal), then refuse to even talk to you about the case.

I'll spare you the details, but in a case of obvious fraud on eBay, when neither eBay or PayPal were of any use, Chase refunded my $6,000+ payament and made PayPal (and/or the seller) eat it!

eBay immediately closed the case because of the item age (in the fine print, although the banner said "This item covered up to $50,000).

PayPal closed the case in 2 days before I presented ANY evidence (a 30 page, professional inspection report by a certified inspector that I paid $375 for, that said the item was good only for parts) because "I picked up the item in person."

Which in fact was not true, because I used a service linked in on the eBay site (uShip) to pick it up and deliver it to me.

USE A CREDIT CARD. They will stand behind you! Thank you, Chase!

++++++++++++++++++++

(I have to say that in all cases, Chase has been courteous, respectful, friendly, and easy to dealk with (at my local branch and at 800 number.)

Unlike eBay and PayPal, they have mature, well thought out applications, processes, and procedures, and they make things right cheerfully when they make a mistake. I have my busines checkiing & credit cards there.

I like local credit unions, etc. in principle, but I owe it to say good things about them when I receive good service.) /end unpaid, unsolicited endoresment ;>}

+++++++++++++

Cheers!
Michael

Dec 04, 2012 at 07:34 PM
carrjar

p.2 #6 · Buyer BEWARE: 5D Mark III on eBay Scam

I'm with you Michael. I always back with CC....in this case, it was a Chase card. Fortunately it never came to this. And eBay/PayPal is always trying to encourage you to use checking account.

Dec 04, 2012 at 07:47 PM
wsmeyer
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #7 · Buyer BEWARE: 5D Mark III on eBay Scam

It's quite simple really, the seller is ebay "top-rated" and is just trying to protect his status. --> http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/top-rated.html

Once you agree to cancel a transaction you can't leave him feedback.

Top rated sellers get a 20% discount on fees, but only on listing that have "1-day handling". Smart sellers realize the best way is to choose "1-day handling" but then overestimate the transit time so the customer still gets it within their expected window even if they don;t get it out within 1 day. Then they print the postage immediately and input the tracking number.

William.

Dec 05, 2012 at 11:34 PM
       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password