Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3              5       6       end

Archive 2012 · possibly OT, but LASIK warning

S Dilworth
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · possibly OT, but LASIK warning

If your pupils dilate to over 8 mm, you must be young (under 25?). As we age its common for our maximum pupil diameter to decrease, until by around 60 were lucky if we hit 5 mm.

Im not a doc, but it seems to me this problem might therefore correct itself at some point in the future.

Even if so, Id still be extremely angry about this if I were in your shoes. Im not downplaying that angle at all. Best wishes.

Dec 04, 2012 at 08:20 AM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.2 #2 · possibly OT, but LASIK warning

So sorry to hear this sad news. I hope that some kind of technology can help bring you back to your former self. I also second the idea of consulting a lawyer.

Dec 04, 2012 at 08:47 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · possibly OT, but LASIK warning

ISO1600 wrote:
Some of you may know, most probably not- but I had LASIK done just over a year ago.

I am in the US Air Force, and one of the "perks" in our healthcare system is the possibility of getting free (yes, FREE) LASIK/PRK at one of the several US Military facilities around the world that can do it.
Currently, I'm stationed in Abilene, TX. I've been in for nearly 10 years, only been here ~2 of that. I have known about the possibility of getting LASIK for most of my career, and debated it- worried about being in the 1% or so
...Show more

Of course! This should just be common sense! It's kind of you to reinforce that with a bit of imperial evidence tho, thanks!

The technology is too new IMO and anytime you're modifying your body for any reason you want to have a massive body of case-study at your disposal. Unless a person is already going blind or something (where the trade-offs will always be on the up-side) laser enhancements won't be "ready" for another 20 years or so.

Dec 04, 2012 at 09:37 AM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.2 #4 · possibly OT, but LASIK warning

Thanks everybody for the support.

I tried an OMD for the EVF- it did seem to be a little easier to use vs a D7000, but at the end of the day i still had a lot of eye strain.
6D on the way from B&H, hopefully the full size finder helps somewhat.

I'm really not sure what to persue at this point, i need to tread lightly. If i make too big a fuss about how my vision has been effected, they may medical board me, and give me some sort of disability. I have no desire to leave the service yet; I've got every intent of doing a full 20+ year career.
I will keep doing research, and try to find out what my options are.

StevenPA- Ashley and I are in the planning phases of a grand Korea(and possibly Okinawa) trip in early 2014. I'm assuming you'll still be over there?

cputeq- I figured you were AF, why else would you be in Shreveport?! hahaha! I have a good buddy over there- A1C Ballard. He is Comm. Known him since 5th grade.

Dec 04, 2012 at 12:12 PM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.2 #5 · possibly OT, but LASIK warning

S Dilworth wrote:
If your pupils dilate to over 8 mm, you must be young (under 25?). As we age its common for our maximum pupil diameter to decrease, until by around 60 were lucky if we hit 5 mm.

Im not a doc, but it seems to me this problem might therefore correct itself at some point in the future.

Even if so, Id still be extremely angry about this if I were in your shoes. Im not downplaying that angle at all. Best wishes.

I'm almost 28 now, so I was almost 27 when i had the surgery done. I've ALWAYS had extremely large pupils. My night vision was excellent before LASIK, and immediately effected by the procedure.

Dec 04, 2012 at 12:14 PM
StevenPA
• • • •
p.2 #6 · possibly OT, but LASIK warning

ISO1600 wrote:
StevenPA- Ashley and I are in the planning phases of a grand Korea(and possibly Okinawa) trip in early 2014. I'm assuming you'll still be over there?

Yep, let me know when you're going to be here and we'll get together for sure. Will be good to get together with you guys again.

Dec 04, 2012 at 01:25 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.2 #7 · possibly OT, but LASIK warning

I am really so sorry to hear of your problems. I hope these issues can be improved.

Rich

Dec 04, 2012 at 01:46 PM
ReneMurea
• • •
p.2 #8 · possibly OT, but LASIK warning

So sorry for you man.

I've been pushing my wife for years to have LASIK surgery and I always get the same answer, NEVER. Though she's blind as a bat without glasses she doesn't trust the surgery one bit. I guess she's smarter than I am.

Dec 04, 2012 at 02:29 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · possibly OT, but LASIK warning

Major

I too looked into Lasik, etc. ... but I passed, mostly because it doesn't really do anything for the whole "bifocal" thing once you start getting in that range as your eyes begin to incur some elasticity changes, etc.

It would be nice to not wear glasses (viewfinder, etc.), but I'm such a stickler for visual acuity (20/10 & 20/15 corrected, 20/800+ uncorrected, i.e. "What chart?" ) that I wasn't willing to risk compromise @ acuity for convenience.

Thanks for sharing what I know has to be an incredibly difficult issue for you. Also, thanks for your service ...

MM1(SW), USN

Dec 04, 2012 at 02:35 PM
crazeazn
• • •
p.2 #10 · possibly OT, but LASIK warning

ugh so sorry to hear this! i've been debating about lasik as well since i've been wearing contacts since 2nd grade. I'm -7.25 in both eyes so I will wait until the technology gets better. thank you so much for your post!

Dec 04, 2012 at 02:49 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · possibly OT, but LASIK warning

I'm really sorry to hear this, I have also been considering it for years, but have held off... I am very scared of such drastic changes to my eyes, as so much of what I enjoy about life is crucially tied to my eyes working well. I am -1.5/-3.5 or so, which causes its own problems, but it is something I can live with, as I do. I use glasses for some tasks, no glasses for other tasks.

There are apparently other, less risky procedures, such as PRK. I might look into that and see if people also have these horrible experiences with that, or I might just leave it completely.

Dec 04, 2012 at 02:54 PM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.2 #12 · possibly OT, but LASIK warning

PRK has less risk of complications, but i don't think it is any better in the large pupil department. Honestly, a large part of why i went with LASIK is the drastically faster and less painful healing time.
LASIK only hurts for like 2 hours, and by 6 months your vision should be fully stabilized.
PRK hurts for up to or past 10 days, and can still be changing for a year.

Realistically, I probably should have been declined for both.

Dec 04, 2012 at 03:05 PM
Vern Dewit
• • • •
p.2 #13 · possibly OT, but LASIK warning

Sorry to hear about this but THANKS for sharing and THANKS for your service too.

I am jaded a bit against eye doctors since I lost vision (permanently) in my left peripheral about 12 years ago. They never figured out what caused it and I walk around worrying almost every day that the rest of it could go "for no reason" at any time. (Initially all my vision went and thank God most of it came back in the next 24 hours...) I went for a battery of tests from eye, to heart to brain scans and the experts just shook their heads and sent me home. That's when I started comparing doctors to fancy mechanics. They are very smart and capable folks but they certainly don't know everything.

Dec 04, 2012 at 03:14 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · possibly OT, but LASIK warning

Yeah, quite an eye opener...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA62X6-3a6o - Part one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P397X2YncGc - Part two

Dec 04, 2012 at 03:44 PM
ShadowWalker
• • • •
p.2 #15 · possibly OT, but LASIK warning

I'm so sorry ISO1600 to hear this. I saw several doctors years ago that told me I was a good candidate for LASIK. I scheduled the surgery after going thru many tests. Quite by chance, I ran into a doctor friend of my wife's who does eye research and told him about my scheduled surgery the following day. He knew my history and that I had a Pterygium removed from my left eye several years prior. He told me not to have the surgery as the scarring on my cornea from the Pterygium excision would cause problems with the LASIK surgery. I called the morning of my surgery and cancelled it. Went to a different eye doctor, not affiliated with LASIK, and he confirmed that I was NOT a good candidate due to the scaring on my cornea. Very scary that I came so close to having the procedure.

Again, I'm very sorry this happened to you. I hope at some point the technology exists where they can fix what was done.

Dec 04, 2012 at 04:40 PM
johnahill
• • • •
p.2 #16 · possibly OT, but LASIK warning

Well that really sucks, I hope your vision improves.

On another note (and I don't wish to sound stupid or patronising here), photography for most of us is something we do for fun. If using manual focus lenses is giving you eye strain then give yourself a break and pick up some AF lenses.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Dec 04, 2012 at 04:47 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · possibly OT, but LASIK warning

ShadowWalker wrote:

Went to a different eye doctor, not affiliated with LASIK,

Not to say there aren't some really good LASIK doctors ... but there is a bit of the "fox guarding the henhouse" involved with asking people who make their living selling surgery if they think you'd be a good candidate for surgery ... while they are looking at the size of your wallet.

That, and everyone (LASIK doctors) that I spoke to about it repeatedly was hyper-focused on "life without glasses" ... but, when I wanted to be "anal-retentive" insisting to inquire about it making my vision BETTER, they were always very "non-committal" @ no guarantees, and then right back to "life without glasses" being a lifestyle change that would be so wonderful ... even though they reluctantly acknowledged (when intently pressed) I'd still need to get glasses to address the upcoming "bifocal" / "reading glasses" / "computer glasses" era.

They can confidently guarantee that it'll be a lifestyle change, and if that is all they promise (and deliver) they are legally safe. Pay attention to their tone & mood when they are talking about "life without glasses" / lifestyle. Compare that with their tone & mood when you press them about visual acuity and future optical issues.

They can quickly go from tapping into your emotional enthusiasm, to safeguarding their backside if you press them on the matter ... then they try to restore the enthusiasm. Knowing that 90% of buying decisions are rooted in emotion ... some of them play to that very well.

Caveat Emptor

Edited on Dec 04, 2012 at 05:42 PM · View previous versions

Dec 04, 2012 at 05:05 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · possibly OT, but LASIK warning

That's really horrible to hear. Things do go wrong in life, and complications happens. My sister and I both had Lasik a few years ago and couldn't be happier. I hope sometime soon they can have a 'break though' and correct the problem for you.

Dec 04, 2012 at 05:21 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · possibly OT, but LASIK warning

I'm one of those odd folks who don't give a crap about what I look like Rusty, so their life-style rhetoric probably wouldn't work on me either.

Every time I look into improving my eyesight I end up landing on some version or revision of what Dr. Bates came up with about 100 years ago. He had such a good success rate in his city that other eye doctors prescribing different (orthodox) methods had his methods declared illegal to practice. Strange that aye?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4BDvF1K85w&list=LPpZAsjvSCGS8&feature=plcp

The supplement crowd has some good ideas too but I've not tried any yet. Here's one guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMxzSaPwf70 for example...

I gained a lot back by massaging & acupressure and doing some simple excursuses. The trouble is that I have to remember to keep at it.

Edited on Dec 04, 2012 at 05:46 PM · View previous versions

Dec 04, 2012 at 05:23 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · possibly OT, but LASIK warning

Bifurcator wrote:
I'm one of those odd folks who don't give a crap about what I look like

I believe it ... I've seen your picture.

When I was young, I used to think I should "look nice" when I go to buy a car, so the salesman will be more helpful.

Now, I find that you learn more about how interested people are in helping you with your needs ... when they think you "got nothin' for them" vs. when they think they can get something from you. My wife hates to go shopping with me.

Her: "Can't you at least tuck your shirt in?"
Me: "I can, but I don't want to."
Her:
Me: "Don't worry ... I'll tuck it in before we go to dinner"
Her: "You are so strange."
Me: "And you love me for it."
Her:
Me:

Dec 04, 2012 at 05:37 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell