Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · New computer, need help moving photoshop plz.

Drayken
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · New computer, need help moving photoshop plz.

Ok, I am building a new computer over the next two days. I know I will need to deactivate photoshop on my old computer, before installing and activating on my new one. But can you tell me all the files and folders that I should save? (Actions folders and other things) I am not sure which ones I need. Thanks for any help.

Also, I am using an i7 3770 and 16gigs of RAM and SSD. Will I need to get a video card? I will be doing nothing but photoshop and some video editing, but never games.

Dec 03, 2012 at 01:59 PM
hondageek
• • •
p.1 #2 · New computer, need help moving photoshop plz.

You'll want a video card for sure. It doesn't have to be a hotrod gamer card, but now is the time to get it considering all of the crazy holiday deals from the big online hardware sellers.

Dec 03, 2012 at 02:12 PM
Nickle S.
• • •
p.1 #3 · New computer, need help moving photoshop plz.

Drayken wrote:
Ok, I am building a new computer over the next two days. I know I will need to deactivate photoshop on my old computer, before installing and activating on my new one. But can you tell me all the files and folders that I should save? (Actions folders and other things) I am not sure which ones I need. Thanks for any help.

Also, I am using an i7 3770 and 16gigs of RAM and SSD. Will I need to get a video card? I will be doing nothing but photoshop and some video editing, but never games.

Drayken,

Copy all of your actions and presets onto a CD/DVD then transfer them accordingly into the new computer. Some older plug-ins and actions may not work if they were witten for 32-bit and you're moving to 64-bit.

Good luck,
Nicholas
www.copperhillimages.com

Dec 03, 2012 at 04:17 PM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #4 · New computer, need help moving photoshop plz.

hondageek wrote:
You'll want a video card for sure. It doesn't have to be a hotrod gamer card, but now is the time to get it considering all of the crazy holiday deals from the big online hardware sellers.

A video card will only help him on video rendering so it depends a how much a little video is. If its say 1 hour a month then I'm thinking he can handle 1 or 2 hour render times. If he is doing a lot of rendering then yes a card will be helpful even a must.

Dec 03, 2012 at 05:16 PM
sic0048
• •
p.1 #5 · New computer, need help moving photoshop plz.

The i7 3770 has the HD4000 graphics processor built into the chip. It is certainly adequate for all your photo editing needs. I suspect it will also be fine for any video editing, but I have no personal experience with that. I personally edit with a i7 chip with the HD-4000 and drive two monitors for photography editing using just the built in processor. It works fine.

Dec 03, 2012 at 10:19 PM
tived
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · New computer, need help moving photoshop plz.

As mentioned above, save all your Actions, deactivate and then install on new computer

as for the new computer, Graphics card, the 4000 is a nice card and can do an OK job, depending on your screen size. If you plan to run a bigger screen and possible two screens you need to move up the ladder and get a better graphics card, but why not try it out first and see if it will do. Then buy if you need it.

as for your RAM, if you are only going to run with 16GB then make sure you get 2x 8GB sticks and not 4x 4GB, so you can upgrade after xmas when santa has been around ;-)

16 is nice, but i would not run a workstation under 32GB, and currently run with 96GB, doing just image editing and panoramic work on my machine. Just my $.02

all the best and congrats on your new puter

Dec 04, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

aubsxc
• • •
p.1 #7 · New computer, need help moving photoshop plz.

sic0048 wrote:
The i7 3770 has the HD4000 graphics processor built into the chip. It is certainly adequate for all your photo editing needs. I suspect it will also be fine for any video editing, but I have no personal experience with that. I personally edit with a i7 chip with the HD-4000 and drive two monitors for photography editing using just the built in processor. It works fine.

This. The HD4000 GPU embedded in your i7 3770 is more than enough to drive your monitor for regular use. You only need a discrete GPU if you game or use applications that can utilize OpenCL or CUDA programming, which only a few functions in PS currently do. However, some video editing software can use GPU processing to great advantage, so check the specs for the software you plan to use to see if a discrete GPU will help.

BTW, why did you choose the 3770 and not the 3770k? The k processors are unlocked and can be clocked and safely run at much higher frequencies than the non-k processors. The price difference is small.

Dec 04, 2012 at 01:10 PM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #8 · New computer, need help moving photoshop plz.

OP if your near Columbus you can get the 3770k for $229.00 at Microcenter.

Dec 06, 2012 at 03:34 AM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #9 · New computer, need help moving photoshop plz.

Drayken wrote:
Ok, I am building a new computer over the next two days. I know I will need to deactivate photoshop on my old computer, before installing and activating on my new one.

When I did a similar thing six months ago I first talked to Adobe about getting a license for a second copy, thinking I might use the old machine on occasion. They assured me that I could run two copies (no more) without another license, providing I never ran both at once. Being human means I can only be in one place at a time.

Apart from anything else, it allowed me to set up the new machine and not have to worry too much about losing settings, actions, etc anything I forgot I could transfer when I discovered it missing.

Brian A

Dec 06, 2012 at 03:58 AM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · New computer, need help moving photoshop plz.

Make sure you deactivate it first

Dec 06, 2012 at 02:45 PM
tived
• • •
p.1 #11 · New computer, need help moving photoshop plz.

And if you forget to do so, call them

Henrik

Dec 06, 2012 at 02:52 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · New computer, need help moving photoshop plz.

tived wrote:
As mentioned above, save all your Actions, deactivate and then install on new computer

as for the new computer, Graphics card, the 4000 is a nice card and can do an OK job, depending on your screen size. If you plan to run a bigger screen and possible two screens you need to move up the ladder and get a better graphics card, but why not try it out first and see if it will do. Then buy if you need it.

as for your RAM, if you are only going to run with 16GB then make sure you get 2x 8GB
...Show more

32GB is plenty, 96GB is way overkill, unless you have a small server farm. Photoshop will never come close to utilizing that. You'd almost literally be throwing money out the windows, especially for the cost of a decent server mobo and the amount of ECC ram.

Dec 06, 2012 at 03:07 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password