Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       5       end

Archive 2012 · How do you print?

naturephoto1
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · How do you print?

Mirek Elsner wrote:
I did not use any lab for some time now, but as far as I remember, my lab (WCI) did not do that. I imagine the prints are similar to glossy Ilfochrome, correct?

The images are available on different surfaces including the glossy which I use. This is a high gloss finish somewhat like Ilfochrome. However even more so. Because the metal surface is so thin, perhaps 4 coke cans thick, Bill offers a mounting surface on to plastic that is about 1/8" thick. Otherwise there is concern about flex, crumpling etc. When mounted though the images can be finished as a floating frame, a box frame, or just mounted to the plastic and then just dropped into frame moldings without any mat boards.

Photo surfaces as you know are delicate and subject to dust, scratches. and fingerprints. The metal prints can be damaged, dinged, dented, and scratched. But if handled properly they should last without incident. They are not subject to fingerprints and dust. They can be washed with water, soap and water, Windex or the like.

The metal prints can sometimes have some minor imperfections because these imperfections may be in the original aluminum blanks.

But, as I say, they are beautiful images. At Art shows where I display my work people stop dead in their tracks and make comment that they have never seen photos that look like mine.

Rich

Dec 03, 2012 at 01:39 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · How do you print?

since i don't try to sell prints and have limited space, printing myself would be ridiculously expensive compared to what it costs me to have a pro lab print the few images i need. also, i don't enjoy the process of getting prints to look right compared to actually taking pictures, and print labs seem to do a pretty good job.

Dec 03, 2012 at 01:50 AM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · How do you print?

Makten wrote:
I hear you, but honestly I wouldn't even care if all of my photos were lost in a hard drive failure. They are worth nothing and I only shoot because I want to please myself and my eyes for the moment. I guess this is a fairly uncommon approach, but that's how I feel.

Nothing wrong with that. Printing, projecting, viewing on LCD screens, etc...heck, even just shooting an image and then immediately deleting it after only a few seconds of enjoyment...it's all valid to me.

Dec 03, 2012 at 02:09 AM
CalW
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · How do you print?

After going all digital about 7 years ago I wasted a lot of time and money trying print services and never was completely satisfied, Finally I bought a Canon Pixma Pro 9000 printer and use only Hahnemule Photo Rag papers for prints and Staples premium double sided matte for greeting cards. Once I get a print exactly as I want it in a small size from an LZW compressed TIF 16 bit master file it is simple to create and run off more of any size in that limited edition series as needed up to 12 x 22, perfect every time. Meets the needs of my market. I've sold almost 1000 prints and over 3000 greeting cards in over five years from this printer and it hasn't skipped a beat for me (crossing fingers and hoping that wasn't a jinx!) When it fails I will happily buy another. Paper and ink costs are not an issue, I just factor them into my prices. I'd always enjoy photography without selling anything, but I have to admit it continues to be a thrill to have someone rave over my work and reach for their wallet. Yup, its ego - guilty as charged. Started in 1956 using a friend's dark room to make my B&W prints.

Dec 03, 2012 at 02:30 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · How do you print?

sebboh wrote:
since i don't try to sell prints and have limited space, printing myself would be ridiculously expensive compared to what it costs me to have a pro lab print the few images i need. also, i don't enjoy the process of getting prints to look right compared to actually taking pictures, and print labs seem to do a pretty good job.

I would back you up 100% on this if the printers would take arbitrary paper. I just happen to quite dislike Epson Premium SemiGloss and such papers, so I really have no other choice than to do it myself.

Dec 03, 2012 at 07:43 AM
ukkisavosta
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · How do you print?

I started on the printing route some 6 months ago. I got an A3+ Epson printer and decided to start on the 3rd party route from the get-go (OEM inks are ridiculously expensive), so I did some reading on how to get reasonable results using 3rd party inks and 3rd party media and invested in a Colormunki photo. I also got a passepartout-cutter and mat board in various colors. I also got three rolls of luster paper to train on, plus some A3+ matte sheets and A4 baryta sheets for when I feel confident enough about the printing process and the image itself.

The whole process of taking the photo and subsequently printing and framing it is very rewarding.

Jaakko

Dec 03, 2012 at 09:23 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · How do you print?

mortyb wrote:
That's pretty harsh, Makten.

Makten wrote:
Yeah, hit me! Of course I wrote in a harsh manner to get a discussion going. I'm sick and tired of this constant talk of that "what matters is prints". Really? How come photography matters more than most things to me, even though I don't print?

How come? I can guess just by looking at your Avatar!

What's in that pipe anyway?

hehe...

douglasf13 wrote:
Printing images keeps me from forgetting them on a large hard drive...

Makten wrote:
I hear you, but honestly I wouldn't even care if all of my photos were lost in a hard drive failure. They are worth nothing and I only shoot because I want to please myself and my eyes for the moment. I guess this is a fairly uncommon approach, but that's how I feel.

I feel the same way though. At least about most non-family photos. The family stuff I wanna keep.

I do print some stuff though. Maybe 1 or 2 per month at A4, 5 or so per month in L or L2, and one or two a year on B4 paper. They're cool to hang on the wall or give as gifts.

Dec 03, 2012 at 09:52 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · How do you print?

Makten wrote:

I think your sentiments on the subject are some of the saddest (emotionally) I've read on the subjects of photography on here :-(. You almost make it sound like you hate yourself! It sounds like you get something from photography, to "please your eyes" for a given moment... But to not do anything with them after seems a little odd to meat least. I've always thought about end product, and that's never been nothing. I guess better (marginally) that you use a lens and camera, than a whole in someone's fence to satisfy something

Dec 03, 2012 at 01:56 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · How do you print?

Really Ricardo? I don't get that impression at all from him. I get the impression of guy who doesn't pull his punches, talks straight, and knows his likes and dislikes. <shrug> He's one of the few people around here who speaks his mind even when it's not the popular position to take. R-E-S-P-E-K!

Dec 03, 2012 at 02:11 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · How do you print?

Here's something you lost, Bif: -T

I agree about Martin, he speaks straight. IMO, his main problem is the very high standards he holds everything to, which of course makes it hard to be happy.

Dec 03, 2012 at 07:06 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

chez
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · How do you print?

I shoot to print. I find the entire printing process just as satisfying as the original photography process. Paper selection makes such a difference in a print. Add the matting and frame and you can totally change an image. There is nothing like a large photo on the wall illuminated with Solux lighting to make that image alive.

If I didn't print, I wouldn't shoot.

Dec 03, 2012 at 08:47 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · How do you print?

carstenw wrote:
Here's something you lost, Bif: -T

I agree about Martin, he speaks straight. IMO, his main problem is the very high standards he holds everything to, which of course makes it hard to be happy.

Which makes the fact that he never prints all the more odd. It's one thing to require the absolute highest level of detail and cleanest noise, or the best glass when you print big prints that use all that resolution and smooth tones. It's another when the only thing you do with the images are view them on your monitor for a few minutes or downsize to the web.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the 'shoot for the moment' type philosophy, but it is odd to also be exacting on gear quality when that is your philosophy.

Dec 03, 2012 at 08:51 PM
Makten
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · How do you print?

ricardovaste wrote:
I think your sentiments on the subject are some of the saddest (emotionally) I've read on the subjects of photography on here :-(. You almost make it sound like you hate yourself! It sounds like you get something from photography, to "please your eyes" for a given moment... But to not do anything with them after seems a little odd to meat least. I've always thought about end product, and that's never been nothing. I guess better (marginally) that you use a lens and camera, than a whole in someone's fence to satisfy something

I don't hate myself, but I definitely don't like my life. It's empty to say the least and photography is just something to do with my time.

I can't see any reason to print my images. Putting my own photos on my wall would feel like walking around with a golden suit or something. No one is visiting my home so the only person seeing them would be me anyway.
When I'm finished, the image is not interesting anymore. At least not for me and I immediately forget it and start searching for the next one. A hard drive failure wouldn't change a thing.

There are still good reasons to get nice gear though. Of course I look at my images in fairly large sizes on my screen, but even downsized for the web, you can see a clear difference between expensive gear and less expensive gear. I don't mind the cost eithter. There's really nothing else that I like to buy with my money, so why not?

Dec 04, 2012 at 10:39 AM
ukkisavosta
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · How do you print?

I can see the logic in Makten's posts. This poll/thread also obviously interests those that enjoy printing and putting their work on display more than those that don't, and such a completely opposite view on the matter is obviously greeted with some questions and disbelief.

Anyway, I don't see anything wrong with enjoying photography as a form of creating perfect images that are disposed of immediately - but only after they have been properly appreciated for what they are after completion. They have, after all, served their purpose and can be disposed of after bringing a feeling of accomplishment to the photographer.

This view is naturally very much different from the standard way we see photography as a way to document and preserve. Conversely, in a way, documentary photography is only interesting after some decades when the images begin to have historic/documentary value.

Jaakko

Dec 04, 2012 at 11:12 AM
15Bit
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · How do you print?

I've got to say i'm somewhat in Makten's camp. Electronic screens are the predominant presentation medium now, be they computers, phones, tablets, electronic photoframes... I am now sitting behind a screen with better dynamic range and probably better colour gamut than most printers, and the flexibility to change image as i desire. Why be confined to paper?

I do occasionally print though, but just on a cheap canon inkjet and really just as gifts for family. The only place i can see a print really exceeding a screen is with respect to size - some images do gain impact with size, and a 4ft screen is quite expensive.

Dec 04, 2012 at 11:29 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · How do you print?

Martin, what you should do then is to make the perfect shots, print them once, fairly large, sign them, and put them away, before you delete your photos. One day someone will pay large money for a unique collection like that

Dec 04, 2012 at 11:35 AM
ukkisavosta
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · How do you print?

I think Carsten's idea is a good one. Print five to ten best images from each year and then just put them away for storage.

Dec 04, 2012 at 11:58 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · How do you print?

Makten wrote:
I don't hate myself, but I definitely don't like my life. It's empty to say the least and photography is just something to do with my time.

I can't see any reason to print my images. Putting my own photos on my wall would feel like walking around with a golden suit or something. No one is visiting my home so the only person seeing them would be me anyway.
When I'm finished, the image is not interesting anymore. At least not for me and I immediately forget it and start searching for the next one. A hard drive failure wouldn't
...Show more

I see your point. In fact, it's the same point really for all of us who have photography as a passionate hobby rather than a profession. I have thousands of dollars of gear, and I use it primarily for shots for me and my family. I mean, I could probably get by with just an advanced compact like the RX100 or something, but I enjoy the craft too much to just go with that all the time. I guess it's the same even if you don't print or look at your images well after the fact. I think most of us can identify with the 'photography as an escape' feeling and the thing that you enjoy doing, as I'm certainly the same way, as are I'm sure most of the people here.

I do print a fair bit (though not a ton). I print a lot of 4x6 shots for photo albums (family shots), and 2-3 times a year I do a print run of my favorite images. Most don't end up on the wall, but I still like having the prints...there's something about seeing your images on the paper. Anyway, the rest do go on the wall, at home and at my office. At home, all the stuff on the walls with the exception of one map and two posters (one from Bruges, Belgium and the other from Prague) is my photos. It's not a self-congratulatory type of thing. Most are from trips my wife and I have taken, or are pictures of my daughter. A few are just pictures I liked that make good wall decoration.

Dec 04, 2012 at 11:58 AM
mortyb
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · How do you print?

Makten wrote:
There are still good reasons to get nice gear though. Of course I look at my images in fairly large sizes on my screen, but even downsized for the web, you can see a clear difference between expensive gear and less expensive gear.

Absolutely, in fact I see a much clearer difference between a Zeiss and non-Zeiss shot on my screen than on an A3 semigloss print. This experience was rather interesting, to say the least.

Personally, I mostly print shots that mean something to me, which would be shots form a travel, a trip, an adventure, not just a random shot which turns out nicely. Agree with Jordan, there's something nice about having your own shots on paper, something tangible.

Agree with Carsten though, some of your shots, Makten, I bet would look fantastic printed big and put on the wall.

Dec 04, 2012 at 11:59 AM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · How do you print?

Print? What is that

Dec 04, 2012 at 01:11 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password