Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Worth filing an insurance claim?

sivrajbm
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Worth filing an insurance claim?

Crap Danny, sorry to hear that. I hope that they paid up at least. That would totally bite.

Dec 03, 2012 at 08:42 PM
MBMK
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Worth filing an insurance claim?

D. Diggler wrote:
Some years back I had my gear under a personal article policy. Over time, as I kept updating the insurer with addtional gear purchased and the serial numbers to be covered, their agent contacted me and said, "None of all that gear is being used professionally, is it? ... Because if it is - and there is a claim - and the insurance company finds out you've made even one nickel off that gear, even if the gear is stolen from your home, they will completely deny coverage".

Really?? That's very ODD! My agent actually told me I should get it. Also when I filled a claim I told them it happened at a wedding and everything, they sent me my check a week later.

It'd be dumb of them not to know it since I have both of my policies through them....

Dec 03, 2012 at 08:49 PM
Matt B.
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Worth filing an insurance claim?

Have you gotten any quotes from Canon just to fix the lens? I dropped a 35L in a creek a couple of years ago, sent it off to CPS and for $643 they replaced all of the internal electronics, replaced several of the glass elements, and cleaned the entire lens. It was better than ever once I got it back.

Dec 03, 2012 at 08:57 PM
Matt B.
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Worth filing an insurance claim?

kev8d wrote:
Our Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS mkI lens recently fell and shattered during a wedding shoot.

It's insured under our policy, and it looks we may be able to have the insurance company replace it after we pay our $500 deductible, but I have no experience with insurance claims.

Should I expect to see a significant increase on my payments after I file a claim? The lens is worth $1400 (so $900 after deductible)

Also, the cause of the fall was due to the wind knocking over a tripod (it was a rooftop shoot at the top of a tall building). My insurance company
...Show more

A couple words of advice.

1. Like the IRS (though I know you happen to be Canadian), never divulge any information you aren't asked to provide. If the insurance company asks why the lens broke, you tell them it fell. If they ask you how it fell, tell them the tripod it was mounted to was accidentally knocked over. If they ask you how the tripod was knocked over, tell them the wind blew it. Getting to the tall building part or anything that might not be covered would be like 15 questions down the list! In this case, you should certainly be covered unless the policy specifically prohibits which locations gear is not covered.

2. I doubt you would see a "significant" increase in your premiums after filing a claim, but there will probably be an increase of a few percent over your current premiums. You still come out well ahead now, however, as you get to replace a $1500 lens for 1/3 the price.

Dec 03, 2012 at 09:02 PM
MBMK
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Worth filing an insurance claim?

D. Diggler wrote:
What about coverage for theft of your gear while you're working?

Hey guys, it's been a while since I posted. Just been a bit busy. Sorry to bring back an old thread but since I was renewing my business/personal article policy, I wanted to bring this up again.

I've read in many places that items for business use cannot be used under personal article policy:

"7. Cameras. You agree that no camera used for pay during the policy term will be covered. This condition applies unless changed by endorsement and additional premium is paid at our current rates."

but since I have business liability coverage through them this is the 2nd part of my package

"<PROFESSIONAL USE CAMERA COVERAGE ENDORSEMENT>
For a premium, we agree that "SPECIAL CONDITION" 7. is deleted."

Gotta love State Farm and looks like my agent knows exactly what they're doing. Hope it helps anyone else in future determining another option to look for when it comes to your equipment insurance.

Also, I had filed a claim last year and looking at my coverage, it didn't go up a penny, actually went down by $9.

Apr 11, 2013 at 01:00 PM
sivrajbm
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Worth filing an insurance claim?

Cool thanks for the update...
Did the fix or replace the lens for you?
If replaced did they upgrade you to a MkII?

Apr 12, 2013 at 01:03 PM
awacs
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Worth filing an insurance claim?

Call and ask! I just went through this with a damaged (albeit not totaled) Nikon 70-200. I flat out asked how much my premiums would increase, and I got a straight answer. It made the decision easy - no way was it worth filing a claim. (The agent basically agreed).

That's Pickard. Obviously I can't speak for other agencies.

Aram

Apr 13, 2013 at 08:39 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Worth filing an insurance claim?

I've been told by hill and usher, whom i have a policy through, that commercial insurance policies arent like auto insurance policies...i.e., just cause you make a claim, it wont affect your premium....BUT, if you make like 3 or 4 claims a year, they're just going to drop you....that's straight from Richard Reyes's mouth at Hill & Usher...

Apr 13, 2013 at 10:16 PM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.