Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Upgrading equipment

zackrexroad

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Upgrading equipment

And on primes, I really like them, but i really prefer being able to zoom. I may consider some primes, but i just dislike having 5 different lenses everywhere i go to have to switch inbetween for almost every picture, which is why im considering a prime on the bigger reach end (the 300mm) but i would definitely rather be able to have a zoom for those times where you are in small areas, when your in a crowd at an event and dont have much room to move around, etc.

Id like my main shooting lenses to be a combo kindof like the 16-85mm and the 80-200mm or something similar. then a wideangle and a telephoto to compliment either end. but im mainly concerned about the main two shooters at the moment.

Ive kindof got my mind set on what i want, i guess i am just asking for alternatives to these lenses that are similar but cheaper. however i dont want something that is way cheaper and way lesser quality.

If there really isn't anything that can compare with this kind of setup, then that is fine and i will save up a bit more for them. i just know i wont be buying any of them brand new, but i wont buy something that isnt a quality product either.

Dec 02, 2012 at 08:35 PM
zackrexroad

p.2 #2 · Upgrading equipment

also how are the 24-85 and the 28-300 lenses in quality? just curious.

Dec 02, 2012 at 09:01 PM
hijazist
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · Upgrading equipment

I had the 28-300 and its very sharp at f/8, decent wide open. Fast AF speed but it needs a lot of light to shine. It has a great build quality and its zoom range is unmatched. I don't know about the 24-85 but I heard its pretty good.

Dec 02, 2012 at 09:13 PM
maneatingshark
• •
p.2 #4 · Upgrading equipment

Sent you a PM, cheers.

Dec 03, 2012 at 03:40 AM
fishfilm
• • •
p.2 #5 · Upgrading equipment

Another question is, what part of your photography is making money for you? If it's portraits, a couple of primes could do the job. Weddings? Than you need the zooms. PJ? You need the zooms. Probably. But a lot of wedding shooters also use the super expensive newer primes and some great PJ work is done on primes as well. The AP/Magnum guys tend to have the big three. But landscapes and portraits you could get by on the old 20/35/50/85 for under a K used. We all prefer zooms but zooms are mostly for people who can afford them and people who's glass makes money for them every day. Primes have a lot less distortion and great IQ for the price. While I work with zooms primarily on the day job I find myself gravitating to my older primes for the specialty stuff like portraits, groups and landscape stitch.

Dec 03, 2012 at 04:55 AM
ytwong
• • •
p.2 #6 · Upgrading equipment

As a former D300 owner and still a D200 owner, I don't think D300 is really a good upgrade. If high iso is important to you, get a D7000 instead (DX route); if not, D200 is really great at low iso and I prefer D200 files to D300 files.

Tamron 28-75 2.8 is a very good lens, and cheap...much cheaper than 16-85..but its range says you better use a FX body.

Dec 03, 2012 at 05:35 AM
zackrexroad

p.2 #7 · Upgrading equipment

well im experimenting with everything really, and i cant really find a clear cut which makes more money. I am still undecided on which kind of photography i like most. Im torn on many different parts and cant decide at the moment. But that is why i would prefer zooms for the different ranges. Also I shoot at ALOT of different focal lengths. I really use the zoom aspect of the lens alot. almost all of my images very from 18-80 for like 70% of my images, then 80-200 for 20% and 10% for anything else. so im mainly using that lower end of the zoom. Because of this, i guess i want a much nicer lens in that range compared to the others.

Dec 03, 2012 at 05:44 AM
folsomwg
• •
p.2 #8 · Upgrading equipment

Here's what I would do:

D7000
11-16 F/2.8 Tokina
50 F/1.8 (Nikon, either D or G)

I'm weird though. :P

Dec 03, 2012 at 05:50 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

zackrexroad

p.2 #9 · Upgrading equipment

And Im still debating on the three choices, D300, D300s, and D7000. Ive just heard that the D7000 has had a higher breaking rate than majority of other bodies. and the D300s is still a little higher in price for me as i am also trying to get lenses as well. so its a constant debate in my head. Im sure you all know what im talking about. haha

Dec 03, 2012 at 05:50 AM
zackrexroad

p.2 #10 · Upgrading equipment

If i got the D7000 i would probably pick up an 11-16 or something similar right away so i can start some fun skateboard filming. haha

Dec 03, 2012 at 05:52 AM
grenadier2002
• •
p.2 #11 · Upgrading equipment

Check out http://www.keh.com/ for great used clean gear.

Dec 06, 2012 at 08:51 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.2 #12 · Upgrading equipment

Zack - you keep mentioning the 24-70 zoom range, and the price of the Nikon (pro) lens.

You have a couple solid options for less money:

- Nikon 24-85 f/3.5-4.5: Not constant aperture or super-fast, but a very nice lens. AF-S focus speed, VR stabilization, decently sharp and under $700 new. Not nearly as bulky as the pro glass.

- Tamron 28-75 f/2.8: 90% of the Nikon pro glass at 1/5 of the price. Really sharp. Not the low-light performer for AF of the Nikon, but absolutely fine 90%+ of the time. Get the older one without the built-in AF motor as they are generally considered the sharpest. I love mine a lot, and it was $325.

The kit for my D300s looks like this:
Tokina 11-16 ($550 used - probably less now) - awesome wide for broad interiors or landscape

Nikon 18-200 VRII (~$600 used) - Excellent all-around lens, though not fast

Nikon 35 f/1.8 - (~$200 used) - Fast aperture is a lot of fun. Some of my favorite shots have been with this lens. It is pretty close to the "nifty fifty" FOV on a crop sensor.

Tamron 28-75 f/28-75 f/2.8 - My favorite overall lens. Sharp, great color/contrast and a terrific value.

Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 2-ring (~$800 used) - big, heavy, awesome pro glass. I've found it difficult to deal with due to its size and weight, but it is a great lens in the bag.

There is nothing wrong with upgrading to a D300 - I love my D300s a lot. You're going to be a lot happier with your D200 with better glass, and the glass will work on your next body (assuming a DX body for all of those except the Tamron and the 80-200, which will work on FX as well).

I haven't shot with a 17-50 (and Tamron's f/2.8 entry here is also well-liked and affordable). The 17-50 is considered the DX-equivalent of the 24-70 on the DX crop sensor. I find myself constantly using my 28-75 or my 35 1.8. Beyond that the 18-200 probably is the next in line as far as use. I agree with the post above that you should look at what zoom range you're shooting at with your current lens and lean toward the sweet spot of what you're currently shooting.

Dec 07, 2012 at 01:22 PM
zackrexroad

p.2 #13 · Upgrading equipment

Which would you say is a better lens overall? the 16-85 or the 24-85 or the 28-75? Id really like to stick with nikon lenses except for the tokina 11-16. i forsure want that one.

Dec 07, 2012 at 06:29 PM
ttoolan
• •
p.2 #14 · Upgrading equipment

Is there any reason you haven't mentioned the older Nikon 28-70 f/2.8? If you don't like the price of the 24-70, you get almost the same quality at half the price.

Tom

Dec 07, 2012 at 07:24 PM
zackrexroad

p.2 #15 · Upgrading equipment

because my funds still cant support a lens over $1000 right now im looking at between $400-$800 per lens, and thats where i were to buy one much nicer lens for say the $800 and the rest would be in the $400-$500 range probably.

Rokinon 8mm- about $250 used
Tokina 11-16mm- about $350 used
nikkor 16-85mm- about $450 used
Nikkor 80-200- about $800 used

if i were to get a mid range zoom lens for the $800 to replace the 16-85, i would be spending about half of that price on the telephoto. so probably be getting a 70-300 mm instead. does that make sense? dont know if i explained that very well.

Dec 07, 2012 at 09:24 PM
RKH
• • •
p.2 #16 · Upgrading equipment

If you are going to stay with DX for a while, the 16-85mm Nikon may not be the fastest out there, but it will suffice and is arguably the finest DX zoom lens that Nikon offers. Combine that with a 70-300mm VR and you are just about set. The 35mm DX 1.8 lens takes superb, sharp, contrasty pictures. Get the 85mm Rokinon (or other iterations) for a brilliant portrait lens or just get a MF Nikkor 105mm f/2.5, which is a superlative portrait lens. I shoot with a D700 and a D300 and figure it will be a loooong time before my photography will surpass either of these cameras (as long as my technique is correct).
Kim
Western burbs of Chicago

Dec 10, 2012 at 12:51 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password