Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · puzzling issue re triggers

michael kilner
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · puzzling issue re triggers

I have just acquired a 2nd hand set of calumet genesis 200 strobes which came with 2 triggers and a hotshoe transmitter.When I connect both triggers and fire the flash only one head fires (both optical slaves are turned off).The flash that fires I shall call no 1 as it is the head which actually has sync written on it next to the port.If I turn off head one and fire the camera, head 2 will then fire but if I again power up both heads only head one fires.I get both heads to fire by turning on the optical sensor in head 2 and all is fine.I hope it is me being dim but I was under the impression that if both heads where connected to triggers via their sync ports then they would both fire whether the optical slaves were on or not.Forgot to mention that the triggers are the inline mains type and swapping them around gives exactly the same result

Dec 01, 2012 at 05:33 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · puzzling issue re triggers

When you say that swapping them around gives the same result, do mean that the same strobe fails to fire, or do you mean that the same trigger fails to fire whichever strobe it's attached to?

Dec 01, 2012 at 05:57 PM
michael kilner
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · puzzling issue re triggers

the same strobe fails to fire when both triggers are connected and activated no matter which trigger is used on which head,however this head will fire on its own using either trigger,its only when both heads are used together there is a problem,independently they both fire no problem,also when firing the sender both LEDs on the triggers light up

Dec 01, 2012 at 06:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · puzzling issue re triggers

michael kilner wrote:
the same strobe fails to fire when both triggers are connected and activated no matter which trigger is used on which head, however this head will fire on its own using either trigger...

That is odd. The only thing I can think of is that the optical sensor isn't being cut out when the radio trigger is plugged in, and a doubled sync signal is locking it up. To rule that out, try putting a piece of black tape over the optical sensor on the problem head and see if it then works with both strobes firing.

Dec 01, 2012 at 06:34 PM
michael kilner
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · puzzling issue re triggers

BrianO wrote:
That is odd. The only thing I can think of is that the optical sensor isn't being cut out when the radio trigger is plugged in, and a doubled sync signal is locking it up. To rule that out, try putting a piece of black tape over the optical sensor on the problem head and see if it then works with both strobes firing.

Many thanks,you are a clever guy,that has sorted the problem out,much obliged wouldnt have thought of that myself,knew I was a bit dim

Dec 01, 2012 at 07:04 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · puzzling issue re triggers

michael kilner wrote:
...that has sorted the problem out...

Glad it worked! The optical sensor should disconnect when the receiver is plugged in; something must be stuck inside...or loose...or something. (I don't know much about Calumet products.) As long as you don't mind the black tape being there, it should work that way indefinitely.

Dec 01, 2012 at 07:22 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password