Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Which film scanner should I get?

jaehoppa
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Which film scanner should I get?

Hi guys
I just bought my first (and second) film cameras; contax 645 and G2.
I want to get a decent film scanner to scan my film negatives and also the prints.
Whats the best low budget scanner? I've read that the epson v700 is pretty good.
Anything else i should consider around the similar price range?
I will be scanning 35mm and 120 film.
Not going to make large prints.
Thanks.

Nov 30, 2012 at 02:01 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Which film scanner should I get?

Jae,

I have a V500 and it suits my minimalist needs. A fellow FM'er here, ajt36, has a V700 together with some Better Scanning glass holders (I think that's what they're called) and he produces some pretty doggone sharp film scans. You might search him up here and send him off a PM for his input. HTH

Nov 30, 2012 at 04:43 PM
Brit-007
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Which film scanner should I get?

I use the V700 and it works great. Detailed review:

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interactive/Epson%20V700/page_1.htm

Nov 30, 2012 at 08:35 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #4 · Which film scanner should I get?

There are many on here that turn their nose up at the V700. I have that scanner..and have used a MF Nikon film scanner......I'm happy with the Epson, it was the right mix of IQ and value for money.

Learn how to get the best from the Epson and you will be happy with the results when you see the prints. The main criticism is of the film holders.....rubbish sort of sums them up. It is particularly important to experiment with the height adjusters to achieve critical focus....get that wrong and you will be disappointed.

Dec 01, 2012 at 01:39 AM
DThom

p.1 #5 · Which film scanner should I get?

Everything that you wanted to know about film scanners and somethings that you did not

Scanner Reviews

Denis

Edited on Dec 02, 2012 at 09:11 PM · View previous versions

Dec 01, 2012 at 09:02 AM
ChrisCoy
• •
p.1 #6 · Which film scanner should I get?

I use the V500 for 35mm and 120, and it does fine. I've scanned my 120 negs and made very nice digital prints from around 10x10 and 12x12.

And I got my V500 for $50 on ebay.

Dec 01, 2012 at 09:12 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tom Robinson

p.1 #7 · Which film scanner should I get?

Hi Jae,
My lab used imacon flextite scanners and loved them. I know there must be a learning curve to using them because one of techs got beautiful results but if she wasnt in and the owner did the scan, not so good. I've seen them used for cheap. FWIW.
Tom

Dec 02, 2012 at 04:58 PM
f.hayek
• •
p.1 #8 · Which film scanner should I get?

Has anyone first hand experience with either the Plustek 8200i and/or Epson 750 for scanning just slides and negative? I'll be primarily scanning in old slides and B&W negative film. Is the flatbed sufficient in resolution (I am dubious)? I have heard mixed things about the operation of the Plustek.

May 24, 2013 at 12:29 AM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #9 · Which film scanner should I get?

The V700 is essentially the same scanner as the V750. As a V700 user I have no problems getting decent scans from 35mm stock that I print to A3 size.

Scans from MF negs are somewhat better....

May 24, 2013 at 10:03 AM
ebiggs
• •
p.1 #10 · Which film scanner should I get?

I have the Canon 9000f but there is a Mk II out now. I have and use mu old Canon F1n and scan the negatives and slides into PS. The scanner is fast and it is easy to set up and use. It comes with software that corrects for the orange mask on negs.

Which is which, that is the question

May 24, 2013 at 06:23 PM
ebiggs
• •
p.1 #11 · Which film scanner should I get?

BTW, one of the above photos was taken with the F1n and the other with a Canon 7D. Both were slightly post processed in PS. One thing to remember about film is dust. So it becomes mandatory you remove the spots in PS or other such software. One thing we take for granted today is how clean digital is.

May 24, 2013 at 06:27 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password