Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Feedback on John Cone Inks for Epson 4900

msoomro
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Feedback on John Cone Inks for Epson 4900

Hi,
I am considering going for Cone inks from inkjet mall for my Epson 4900. I am very interested in hearing some feedback and experience from people here who have used John's cone inks. More specifically on 3880 or 4900.

How are the print results as compared to OEM inks?

Do these cone inks clog printers?

Is the Cone ink shelf life better or equal to OEM?

I realize cost wise inks are only fraction of the overall costs, even when just compared to the paper it is printing on. However, my print volumes are low and Epson's stated shelf life is 6 months. although experience says they can last a year without loosing quality. For me, if i can get same result with cheaper cone ink, i would not feel bad throwing the left over after a year and refiling with fresh set :-). Thoughts

Yes i have seen the other thread here http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1072677/0 but unfortunately it offered very limited real life experience. There were more opinions and reference to publications....

Thanks
msoomro

Nov 29, 2012 at 05:33 PM
John Caldwell
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Feedback on John Cone Inks for Epson 4900

You are discussing his Piezography inks, correct? If so, sure - it's truly a different system from OEM with an expanded monochrome ability over what we have with the Epson system. I'm can't speak to the 4900 offering in Piezography specifically, though.

If you're talking about color inks, on the other hand, I can't possibly imagine any value in going outside OEM unless you print in such volumes that ink costs are deeply non-negligible. Even then, your paper costs are easily dominant unless you are running budget media through your 4900. But your situation is the opposite, if I'm right - meaning you mention small printing volumes. Nothing against Jon Cone; but it just doesn't make sense. I have never thrown an ink cart away because of a shelf life date, and can't imagine doing so.

Lot's of discussion on printing forums on this topic and it always comes down to the analysis you already offered: "I realize ink costs are small in comparison to the other related costs...", and plenty of unmentioned negatives for most of us, but possibly meaningful savings for some. See the linked discussion on the Lula forum if you're interested.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=72462.0

John Caldwell

Edited on Nov 30, 2012 at 01:20 AM · View previous versions

Nov 29, 2012 at 09:36 PM
colinm
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Feedback on John Cone Inks for Epson 4900

The ConeColor inks (which are just rebranded, marked-up third party ink) are mediocre at best.

If you're happy with the performance of your 4900 then ConeColor inks will be a substantial step backward. If you're printing exclusively on matte media it'll be less obvious, but there's no missing it on anything with a sheen to it.

You'd also have to pay to have new profiles made for every paper you use, which consumes a not-insubstantial portion of any perceived cost savings.

Nov 30, 2012 at 12:41 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password