Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines
One new topic per day

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Zion Canyon in Fall Colours

brunyan
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Zion Canyon in Fall Colours

Very nice. I love that place!

Dec 02, 2012 at 01:09 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · Zion Canyon in Fall Colours

There's no doubt that these are all pretty well 'pumped up' with color regardless what operating system you use. I think #3 is the most realistic. In #1, the turquoise ground shrubs and the lavender colored sandstone are very odd.

Dec 02, 2012 at 05:18 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · Zion Canyon in Fall Colours

skibum5 wrote:
[It probably doesn't hurt to a trace over do it since in the real world you also had 3D and higher DR and even wider gamut so to make up for that sometimes a touch extra contrast or saturation can make it more realistic in overall feel even if less realistic hah.
Depends, a judgement call.

Gotta' agree with you there. (Surpised, skibum5? ;-)

A photograph that purports to look exactly like real thing looked, in an objective way, will always be inferior to the real thing since it consists of less than the original experience. Even the most astounding, astonishing, "perfect" composition of that supposedly "real" scene, will have the same issue.

The goal of a great photograph is not to literally recreate the real - which is impossible anyway. I might be to evoke a something of the original subject, but perhaps even more it is about expressing the photographer's view of that subject in a way that tells us something interesting about how the photographer saw the world and about how me might see it as well.

It is hard for me to be consistent about this, but this explains why I can't exactly dismiss a different interpretation, even one that seems overly saturated - though I can be honest about my own response to it.

Dan

Dec 03, 2012 at 06:57 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · Zion Canyon in Fall Colours

gdanmitchell wrote:
Gotta' agree with you there. (Surpised, skibum5? ;-)

speechless!!!

A photograph that purports to look exactly like real thing looked, in an objective way, will always be inferior to the real thing since it consists of less than the original experience. Even the most astounding, astonishing, "perfect" composition of that supposedly "real" scene, will have the same issue.

yes, and to even further, even the smells of pines in the air, bubbling brook, calling birds, honeysuckle on the air, smell of the salt spray, wet meadow, a cool breeze, warming sun, lots is missing even beyond just the plainly visible

Dec 03, 2012 at 10:33 AM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · Zion Canyon in Fall Colours

Beautiful shots Nigel, thanks for sharing.
David

Dec 03, 2012 at 03:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

nburwell
• • • •
p.2 #6 · Zion Canyon in Fall Colours

An absolutely gorgeous set!

-Nick

Dec 03, 2012 at 04:19 PM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.2 #7 · Zion Canyon in Fall Colours

The first two seem too "nuclear" to me, indeed, but may be its my monitor. Really like the last two.

Dec 03, 2012 at 07:19 PM
Bones74
• • •
p.2 #8 · Zion Canyon in Fall Colours

Great work! Love 3 and 4... Thumbs up

Dec 03, 2012 at 09:23 PM
thw2
• • • •
p.2 #9 · Zion Canyon in Fall Colours

Bold colors! Wow! Nice!