Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · What to buy to my discerning wife

DTOB
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · What to buy to my discerning wife

NightOwl Cat wrote:
And a flash would be nice, maybe pick one up used on the buy and sell here..

Nikon 1 SB-N5 Speedlight for V Cameras $139
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/823609-REG/Nikon_3617_Nikon_1_SB_N5_Speedlight.html

The lack of a built flash was a deal breaker for me on the V1. My wife will not be packing a seperate flash in her purse, no matter how small it is or how much better than a built in flash it might be.

That, the size, and the lack of a fast wide is what made me decide on the rx100.

Nov 29, 2012 at 06:52 PM
funwithlight
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · What to buy to my discerning wife

DTOB wrote:

Giving my wife a how-to book on photography would not go over well.

If I had some sort of interest or hobby and someone else took notice of that, and decided to give me a how-to or other type of informational literature on it, I would be really grateful and appreciative of the gesture. Especially if it came from someone close like a spouse.

Socrates, one of the wisest men who ever lived said, "I know that I know nothing."

He's not around to accept any how to books on photography, but if he was, he'd gratefully accept it from you

Nov 29, 2012 at 06:53 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · What to buy to my discerning wife

funwithlight wrote:
If I had some sort of interest or hobby and someone else took notice of that, and decided to give me a how-to or other type of informational literature on it, I would be really grateful and appreciative of the gesture. Especially if it came from someone close like a spouse.

Socrates, one of the wisest men who ever lived said, "I know that I know nothing."

He's not around to accept any how to books on photography, but if he was, he'd gratefully accept it from you

While you might appreciate a how-to book on photography, I think it is safe to assume that you are not my wife. This is a public forum and stranger things have happened, but I am fairly confident in saying that.

My wife has no interest in photography, and she would never refer to it as a hobby of hers. She has an interest in photos. There is a difference.

Try to put yourself in someone else's shoes.

Nov 29, 2012 at 06:57 PM
funwithlight
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · What to buy to my discerning wife

DTOB wrote:
While you might appreciate a how-to book on photography, I think it is safe to assume that you are not my wife. This is a public forum and stranger things have happened, but I am fairly confident in saying that.

lol...hey you never know

My wife has no interest in photography, and she would never refer to it as a hobby of hers. She has an interest in photos. There is a difference.

I see no harm in the gesture. But saying it would not go over well as opposed to saying she has no interest in the subject are different things. If she has no interest in the subject, and you got her a book on the subject, especially a benign one like photography, how does it follow that it would not go over well? At the worst you could return the book, or put it away. The impression I'm getting is that your wife would be offended at the thought of receiving a book like that. Am I reading you correctly?

Try to put yourself in someone else's shoes.

I doubt my feet would fit your wife's shoes :P

Nov 29, 2012 at 07:09 PM
vchowdhary
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · What to buy to my discerning wife

rx100 would be a good option

Nov 29, 2012 at 07:19 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · What to buy to my discerning wife

funwithlight wrote:
lol...hey you never know

I see no harm in the gesture. But saying it would not go over well as opposed to saying she has no interest in the subject are different things. If she has no interest in the subject, and you got her a book on the subject, especially a benign one like photography, how does it follow that it would not go over well? At the worst you could return the book, or put it away. The impression I'm getting is that your wife would be offended at the thought of receiving a book like that. Am I
...Show more

I wouldn't be in the dog house, if that's what you're thinking. It would be a roll of the eyes.

But some things among married couples are just understood, if you catch my drift.

Me buying a how-to book on photography would be akin to me buying her a cook book. She has no interest in cooking, and I know that. In fact, she hates cooking. But she loves my cooking. Because I enjoy it.

You don't always get someone cooking lessons or a book, because that would be insensitive to their wants. Sometimes you try and find a solution that fits.

For my wife, it will be a rx100.

Nov 29, 2012 at 07:24 PM
borismilan
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · What to buy to my discerning wife

Getting my wife a photography book would have some nasty repercussions to our couple dynamics

Nov 29, 2012 at 07:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gilligan
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · What to buy to my discerning wife

Personally, I do agree that you want to keep it simple, and from her perspective, I doubt that she cares if it's a $10 camera or a $3,000 camera. She just wants nice pictures.

I think you can save yourself a lot of money and make your wife happy at the same time. I would personally go with a small'ish camera (Canon S100 / Panasoci LX7 / Fuji X10) which generally offer excellent image quality and are small enough to fit in her purse. The Panasonic has a fast 24mm(equivalent) lens, which from a realestate's agent's perspective is a huge bonus.

Having a big DSLR might impress the guys, but she is more interested in the end result with the minimum of fuss. A DSLR doesn't really meet those needs.

Good luck

Nov 29, 2012 at 09:17 PM
lou f
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · What to buy to my discerning wife

i think my iphone 4s looks like a 28mm eqiv... white balance is pretty good, hdr works ok too go with one of those...

Nov 29, 2012 at 09:33 PM
borismilan
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · What to buy to my discerning wife

The Panasonic LX7 looks nice, a f1.4-2.3 lens with 24mm wide angle equivalent is a cool thing to have for small spaces

Nov 29, 2012 at 09:36 PM
SSISteve
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · What to buy to my discerning wife

I am also a Realtor and shoot lots of properties. I can tell you that another camera won't solve the issue she has. Many times when shooting a room the camera is trying to focus on a white wall and it keeps hunting. All that needs to be done is point the camera at something that has some detail and when the lens locks on, then recompose the picture they way you want it. Usually, I just aim at the base trim and that gets the lens to lock focus. The only other suggestion I have is you need a wider angle lens. Something in the 18mm range will allow her to get more of the room in the image, especially in small rooms and bathrooms. Save the money and just get a wide angle lens.

Steve

Nov 29, 2012 at 10:57 PM
james.d53
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · What to buy to my discerning wife

sjms wrote:
then "discerning" is not exactly the proper term to use here.

+1 on that. She needs to pay for a real estate photographer. She will sell homes much faster with professional images. Sorry I'm not in Florida!!!!

Nov 30, 2012 at 01:15 AM
borismilan
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · What to buy to my discerning wife

Jajaja. Believe me, she doesn't need to pay for a photographer :-)

Nov 30, 2012 at 01:58 AM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · What to buy to my discerning wife

borismilan wrote:
Jajaja. Believe me, she doesn't need to pay for a photographer :-)

You had me fooled. Sounds like somebody needs to pay.

Nov 30, 2012 at 02:24 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password