Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Trying to mimic Canon color.

lxdesign
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Trying to mimic Canon color.

First world problems.....

Nov 29, 2012 at 04:31 PM
okafoja
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · Trying to mimic Canon color.

Steve Beck wrote:
One reason I came to Nikon was the skin tones. I always felt canon was way to saturated and false.

I kept my 5DIII due AWB. For me Canon wins in that regard.

Nov 29, 2012 at 04:54 PM
okafoja
• • •
p.2 #3 · Trying to mimic Canon color.

Wow Guys. Thanks to Bruce and Jrfx. Those presets are exactly what I need. The lightroom preset and the Pkiss one are very similar. This will make editing so much easier for me.

Nov 29, 2012 at 05:23 PM
Howard Kearley
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · Trying to mimic Canon color.

trenchmonkey wrote:
I moved from Canon to get AWAY from their color AND noise. Whatever floats yer boat.

you make me smile Will

Nov 29, 2012 at 05:59 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · Trying to mimic Canon color.

...probably why Fred still keeps me around

Nov 29, 2012 at 08:18 PM
roman.johnston
• • • •
p.2 #6 · Trying to mimic Canon color.

Might I suggest this?

http://xritephoto.com/ph_product_overview.aspx?ID=1257

Watch the videos to the right.

Should level the playing field between systems.

Roman

Nov 29, 2012 at 08:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mmurph
• • • •
p.2 #7 · Trying to mimic Canon color.

roman.johnston wrote:
Might I suggest this?

I use that too, on every camera that I own. That is 6 this year alone, including 1 Nikon, 3 Canon, and 2 Sony.
ColorChecker Passport

I started profiling all of my cameras about 8 years ago when I was shooting fashion. It is the **only** way to get back to square 1 to adjust from camera to camera and have controllable color from start to finish.

You can also take that same Color Checker image into the Adobe DNG editor.

That will allow you to tweak a number of parameters for each of the 24 squares on the Color Checker. Saturation, contrast, etc. etc.

Then just automatically apply that default profile in Lightroom based on camera serial number.

That is an increasingly important part of creating custom "looks" for video. Large or small tweaks to color, prepackaged, applied at processing time. Obviously there are a lot of different ways to do that, but this is the cleanest.

The one limitation of the DNG process is that it only uses 24 patches on the Color Checker.

There is a Color Checker Digital SG that I use to create ICC profiles with the Xrite i1 Pro package. That uses 140 patches, including some that require special; attention for digital rendering. That obviously offers much more potential control points.

FWIW, I agree with you on Canon skin tones being absolutely the best among many different cameras. Each camera is tweaked to a slightly different preference. I see the Nikon as trending green, the Canon a more pleasing red/yellow.

If you use some of the "scopes" from Adobe Premiere Pro for video processing, they have marks that graph the correct skin tone rendition of an average video file, so that you can compare your files mathematically, rather than visually.

What most people are responding to when they think of a cameras color is the sRGB JPEG defaults that the camera ships with. That is usually set up to please the novice. (Many people used to complain that Canon images lacked "pop" around the 10D timeframe.)

I set my default Canon Profile to "Neutral" (or Faithful), -4, -2, 0. That gives me the best histogram and the most representative LCD and JPEG image. It also helps to set the default rendition the way that I like it in Lightroom, Photoshop, Premiere Pro, etc.

I do something similar on every camera I own.

Good luck! have fun!

Michael

Nov 30, 2012 at 02:35 AM
mfletch
• • •
p.2 #8 · Trying to mimic Canon color.

roman.johnston wrote:
Might I suggest this?

Watch the videos to the right.

Should level the playing field between systems.

Roman

This is the best $100 I've spent on photo gear in the last few years.

Nov 30, 2012 at 02:45 AM
woos
• •
p.2 #9 · Trying to mimic Canon color.

Man, yeah, I had a lot of problems with Nikon too! Not necessarily the camera itself and it's profiles. Well, sort of. The auto white balance doesn't seem to be as good as the 5d mark III. Now, I want to qualify that.

Outdoors. Indoors it seems amazing. Outdoors it sometimes is a bit "off"...whether it is just what I'm used to or not, I don't know. However, I've gotten used to it. The other thing is that the camera profiles in camera raw are not quite...perfect. Sometimes in different lighting conditions they can have color casts that are difficult to remove...

But, I bought a qpcard and man...wow. Solves problems!

Nov 30, 2012 at 06:43 PM
mfletch
• • •
p.2 #10 · Trying to mimic Canon color.

I'd never seen the qpcard, but it's pretty much the same function as the colorchecker.

Dec 01, 2012 at 02:34 AM
spdntrxi
• •
p.2 #11 · Trying to mimic Canon color.

I like the Canon better... except for the color of her dress

Dec 01, 2012 at 03:11 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password