Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Off Camera Speedlight setup questions

LarryH52

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Off Camera Speedlight setup questions

I would like to use my speed-light off camera as the key light with an umbrella, and triggering it if possible from the popup flash, as I do not own a hot shoe transmitter, Is there any way of controlling or (dialing down) the Popup flash's intensity so that it does not act as the exposure source, I realize TTL is not possible off camera so I guess I will have to go Manual and pretest my exposures? Also is the popup likely to be a harsh detriment to the shot, I was hoping to use it as a fill but I see it's very hard and I'm not sure how to soften it down, other than a pile of diffuser material.

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:39 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Off Camera Speedlight setup questions

What camera do you have? On the 7D, for example, you can use the menu to set the pop-up not to fire at all, or you can set it to fire at low power for a little fill. Regardless of the setting, it will fire a metering preflash if you're in ETTL mode, and will always fire visible command and control pulses to trigger the off-camera flashes when in Master mode .

If there are reflective objects in the frame, or if you're shooting close up, the pop-up's C&C pulses may show up in the image, but it's usually not a serious issue.

On my 7D I use the pop-up to control three off-camera flashes, one of shich is in a softbox, and as long as I'm in a fairly small room they all work perfectly. In larger spaces I use an off-camera cord running into the soft box, and use that Speedlite as the Master.

Remember that to soften the light, you have to make the light source larger in relation to the sunject; just putting diffuser material in front of it won't soften the light, it will only weaken it. Better to turn it off completely other than the C&C function so you have enough range to control the off-camera flash(es).

Nov 29, 2012 at 02:01 AM
LarryH52

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Off Camera Speedlight setup questions

Thanks for your reply I am shooting with an older Olympus so I'm not hopeful of cutting edge technology! below is a portion of my cameras manual dealing with what I believe is the Popup flash settings using another flash, ...is this what you were referring to!

Using the slave flash mode
This setting is for when using a commercially available slave flash that is
synchronized with the camera flash.
The amount of light emitted by the flash can be adjusted in 10 levels. The flash
can fire in sequential shooting mode, but the interval between shots will be
longer if a high emission level is set.
AUTO, ! : The setting is automatically changed to # (Fill-in flash).
HSLOW : The setting is automatically changed to # SLOW1.
1 Press e while holding down #.
2 Select Q FLASH 􀃆 SLAVE, and press d.
g“Menu basics” (P.38)
3 Press ac to select an emission level from
1 to 10, then press e.
4 Press e repeatedly until the menu disappears

Nov 29, 2012 at 02:34 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Off Camera Speedlight setup questions

LarryH52 wrote:
...I am shooting with an older Olympus so I'm not hopeful of cutting edge technology!

Ah...can't help you with that, then. I haven't used an Olympus since the OM-1 in -- what -- the 1970s?

The info above related to new-ish Canon and Nikon cameras (and possibly Oly, but I haven't tried it), but is for ETTL/iTTL-capable cameras and flashes.

One possibility for your situation (indoors only) is a pop-up flash bouncer; it would redirect the pop-up's output so it's not blasting your subject, but can still be "seen" by the remote flash. This is one that I've used:

http://www.lightscoop.com/lightscoop_original_info.html

Another option is to use an off-camera cord and skip the pop-up altogether. I have a 20-foot Canon-compatible ETTL cord, and use it often outdoors or in big churches. I don't know of such a long one specifically for Olympus, but this one would work for manual flash:

http://www.flashzebra.com/products/0146/index.shtml

It's not as handy as a radio trigger, but for $26 it's a good deal.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Nov 29, 2012 at 04:52 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

henryp
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Off Camera Speedlight setup questions

LarryH52 wrote:
Thanks for your reply I am shooting with an older Olympus so I'm not hopeful of cutting edge technology!

Depending on whether you want any light from the pop-up flash or not, the
Nikon SG-3IR IR Panel might be useful.

Henry Posner
henryp@bhphoto.com
B&H Photo-Video

Nov 29, 2012 at 10:46 PM
LarryH52

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Off Camera Speedlight setup questions

Thanks for the advice Guys! I figured out how to lower my popup flash power down low, but I'm still worried it may have some negative effect, I really like that Nikon IR panel, sounds like that just may be the solution to the problem!

Dec 02, 2012 at 09:08 PM
PShizzy
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Off Camera Speedlight setup questions

Take a test shot with the off camera light turned off. If your on camera flash exposes the image at all, then you are correct that it will affect the final image. Also, speculars will reflect even the slightest flash on axis (eyes, reflective surfaces such as glass or metal)

The Nikon panel should work, but why not just get the off camera cord. 30 footers at flashzebra are pretty cheap.

Dec 03, 2012 at 07:23 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password