Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Remember HDR? I could use some fine tuning on it....

papageno
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Remember HDR? I could use some fine tuning on it....

Haven't done an HDR for some, but will soon have to face the music and do one.

If you make a wide bracket (e.g. 9 images 2/3 of a stop apart how many can I eliminate? Am I correct in assuming that when you have a range of images that include all the shadow detail you want and all the highlight data needed, that any that exceed that range can be pitched?

Test suggests that six would probably do it; do the extras add anything

Nov 28, 2012 at 04:51 AM
papageno
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Remember HDR? I could use some fine tuning on it....

NOBODY?

Nov 28, 2012 at 06:13 PM
theSuede
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Remember HDR? I could use some fine tuning on it....

Hi...

Pipe down, if I'm not reading the post data wrong there's no more than 1hr 30mins between your posts...
This forum doesn't have that much traffic. Look at the number of posts per day.

If you're shooting jpg, you'd only need every other shot to get a full coverage. The jpg's typically have a 2Ev midband linear section, compared to raw - that has at least 9-10Ev's of linear region.

So, keep shot 1-3-5-7-9. If you can clearly see that lens-induced haze makes the longest exposure image no better than the next longest exposure image, just drop it and use 3-5-7-9.

OR set the bracket to 5 shots x 1+1/3Ev and use that.
OR shoot in raw and use 3 shots x +/-2Ev.

The raw + 3-shot option actually gives the best result, and the least amount of work (and target movement problems).

Nov 28, 2012 at 07:38 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Remember HDR? I could use some fine tuning on it....

I don't do HDR software images, but I do shoot in HDR conditions which typically have a strong shadow component to them. My observed (metered) diff between the direct lit and shadow side of a given subject is roughly 2 1/2 stops under Sunny 16 conditions.

That being said, I see little reason to bracket 2/3 of a stop. Tight bracketing makes sense if your trying to "nail the exposure", but for an HDR, I think tight bracketing is a bit folly. The recommendation @ 3 shots +/- 2EV seems viable.

I typically expose to safeguard highlights, +2EV, +4EV for a 3 shot set (or +3 EV for a 2 shot set) ... but I don't use HDR software. I manually blend, so I can't advise how my strategy would work with software. Best to perform your own testing to derive your workflow, but I'm not seeing the value for 9 images @ 2/3 stop intervals ... maybe 2-5-8 (2EV intervals) or 1-3-7-9 from your 9 shot set.

Nov 28, 2012 at 07:53 PM
Guari
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Remember HDR? I could use some fine tuning on it....

Deemds on the dynamic range of the scene photographed. Usually, there is no need for more than 3 pictures, meaning that adding extra pics will not enhance the quality of the hdr...

Nov 28, 2012 at 10:59 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password