Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       3       end
  

Archive 2012 · Nikon D4 DSLR firmware update improves autofocus!
  
 
sjms
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Nikon D4 DSLR firmware update improves autofocus!


yeah that makes sense. so many issues so get away from the camera and use it remotely.

Edited on Nov 29, 2012 at 12:01 PM · View previous versions



Nov 29, 2012 at 05:55 AM
turbodude
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Nikon D4 DSLR firmware update improves autofocus!


No AF when using as a remote, set focus, tape focus ring and forget it, however all the getty shooters I know still rock d4's


Nov 29, 2012 at 08:31 AM
sjms
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Nikon D4 DSLR firmware update improves autofocus!


actually I have seen the "remote rigs" AFP used. far from "tape and wait" setups

http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/28/remote-camera-mounts-replace-afp-photographers-at-olympic-games/?a_dgi=aolshare_facebook




Nov 29, 2012 at 03:27 PM
nugeny
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Nikon D4 DSLR firmware update improves autofocus!


I saved the new firmware on a CF. Now what do I?


Nov 30, 2012 at 12:18 AM
Kerry Pierce
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Nikon D4 DSLR firmware update improves autofocus!


stuuke wrote:
Getty had so many issues with them that they only use them for remote cameras at sporting events right now.


Wow! That's not good news and certainly contrary to what I've been seeing from folks posting their experiences. I tried some web searches looking for more information on Getty's problems with the d4, but came up empty. Have you a link that would give more info on it?

thanks
Kerry



Nov 30, 2012 at 12:56 AM
stuuke
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Nikon D4 DSLR firmware update improves autofocus!


Kerry Pierce wrote:
Wow! That's not good news and certainly contrary to what I've been seeing from folks posting their experiences. I tried some web searches looking for more information on Getty's problems with the d4, but came up empty. Have you a link that would give more info on it?

thanks
Kerry


I talked to a local Getty shooter that covered the Olympics. He didn't say 100% of Getty shooters but he did say that it was an issue at the Olympics and that they used them as static remote cameras. The autofocus is a little quirky at times but I've been using mine for action since the day they came out. I wouldn't say that it's as consistent as my D3S but when it's working it does a great job.



Nov 30, 2012 at 03:36 AM
Matt OHarver
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Nikon D4 DSLR firmware update improves autofocus!


nugeny wrote:
I saved the new firmware on a CF. Now what do I?



you need to make sure you saved the .exe file and then opened it to get the .bin file. Put it on the main(root) directory on your card. Turn on the camera(with a fully charged battery) go into the menu and go to Firmware and it will give you the option to change it. Push OK and leave every button alone(sit it down) until it says it's done.


Matt



Nov 30, 2012 at 05:26 AM
Matt OHarver
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Nikon D4 DSLR firmware update improves autofocus!


stuuke wrote:
I talked to a local Getty shooter that covered the Olympics. He didn't say 100% of Getty shooters but he did say that it was an issue at the Olympics and that they used them as static remote cameras. The autofocus is a little quirky at times but I've been using mine for action since the day they came out. I wouldn't say that it's as consistent as my D3S but when it's working it does a great job.


I have a couple of friends who shoot for Getty and after seeing your post I sent a couple of Texts to them. It was news to them of issues with Autofocus. My D4 is way more consistant than my D3s which I still use. Both of my friends said they would check around and see if they can find anything about what you are saying. Because it was news to both of them.

Matt



Nov 30, 2012 at 05:28 AM
ZoneV_Nikon
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Nikon D4 DSLR firmware update improves autofocus!


Matt OHarver wrote:
I have a couple of friends who shoot for Getty and after seeing your post I sent a couple of Texts to them. It was news to them of issues with Autofocus. My D4 is way more consistant than my D3s which I still use. Both of my friends said they would check around and see if they can find anything about what you are saying. Because it was news to both of them.

Matt


What gear are they assigned to, then, if not D4?



Nov 30, 2012 at 05:41 AM
ShutteredMe
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Nikon D4 DSLR firmware update improves autofocus!


Mine seems to be focusing ok...



Quang V Ho 2012

White Pelican

  NIKON D4    600.0 mm f/4.0 lens    600mm    f/9.0    1/2000s    500 ISO    0.0 EV  






Tern

  NIKON D4    600.0 mm f/4.0 lens    600mm    f/8.0    1/2000s    640 ISO    0.0 EV  






Cormmie

  NIKON D4    600.0 mm f/4.0 lens    600mm    f/5.6    1/2000s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  






Egret

  NIKON D4    600.0 mm f/4.0 lens    600mm    f/8.0    1/2000s    200 ISO    -0.3 EV  




Nov 30, 2012 at 07:12 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



david debalko
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Nikon D4 DSLR firmware update improves autofocus!


James R wrote:
Have people been complaining about the D4's AF? i haven't heard that many complaints about the D4. Don't have a TC 2.0 and why would I want to put Format in My List. Improving the AF would be a plus, but currently it seems excellent, better than the D3s.


I have/had no issues with the AF, I always thought that a new firmware update will bring improvements to the camera. Is there any reason to fear the update and hold off on doing the update?



Nov 30, 2012 at 11:16 AM
Steve Perry
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Nikon D4 DSLR firmware update improves autofocus!


The only time I had AF issues with mine was in the spring shooting black bear. Camera had a terrible time locking on and staying on - no TC just straight 500mm. Not enough contrast I suppose, but my D3x seemed to be able to hold focus OK.


Nov 30, 2012 at 12:50 PM
stuuke
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Nikon D4 DSLR firmware update improves autofocus!


Matt OHarver wrote:
I have a couple of friends who shoot for Getty and after seeing your post I sent a couple of Texts to them. It was news to them of issues with Autofocus. My D4 is way more consistant than my D3s which I still use. Both of my friends said they would check around and see if they can find anything about what you are saying. Because it was news to both of them.

Matt



I don't know why he would have made it up but I guess it's possible. Just reporting what he said. Obviously it's not an issue for everyone including myself.



Nov 30, 2012 at 02:45 PM
ShutteredMe
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Nikon D4 DSLR firmware update improves autofocus!


david debalko wrote:
I have/had no issues with the AF, I always thought that a new firmware update will bring improvements to the camera. Is there any reason to fear the update and hold off on doing the update?


I did the update and haven't noticed anything different, but it sure didn't kill the D4. I don't have a 2x TC anymore, just a 1.7x and 1.4x, but those always seems to be fine with the 600mm and the 300mm.



Nov 30, 2012 at 03:10 PM
nugeny
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Nikon D4 DSLR firmware update improves autofocus!


Matt OHarver wrote:
you need to make sure you saved the .exe file and then opened it to get the .bin file. Put it on the main(root) directory on your card. Turn on the camera(with a fully charged battery) go into the menu and go to Firmware and it will give you the option to change it. Push OK and leave every button alone(sit it down) until it says it's done.

Matt


Matt, thanks. That is a lot of instructions.
"you need to make sure you saved the .exe file and then opened it to get the .bin file. Put it on the main(root) directory on your card"

.exe file?
.bin file?
open it?
main(root)?
all mysteries for me.
I may just stay where I am.



Nov 30, 2012 at 03:23 PM
AndresG
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Nikon D4 DSLR firmware update improves autofocus!


Do a youtube search on firmware updating.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=aQYmN59ZTmo&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DaQYmN59ZTmo

This may help



Nov 30, 2012 at 05:25 PM
sjms
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Nikon D4 DSLR firmware update improves autofocus!


nugeny wrote:
Matt, thanks. That is a lot of instructions.
"you need to make sure you saved the .exe file and then opened it to get the .bin file. Put it on the main(root) directory on your card"

.exe file?
.bin file?
open it?
main(root)?
all mysteries for me.
I may just stay where I am.


MAKE SURE YOUR BATTERY IS CHARGED

1- it is simply called: D4_0103.bin
2- drag it from your desktop to a CF or XQD card. do not put it into any other folder on the card.
3- slide the card into the camera and turn the camera on
4- navigate via the left icons to the wrench
5- once in that setup mentu navigate to the end where it says firmware version
6- access the that menu and it will show you 3 pieces of data: A, B and L
7- with the card in your camera in the right location it will see the new file automatically and ask if you wish to update it.
8- do it (takes about 3 minutes)



Nov 30, 2012 at 09:35 PM
cohenfive
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Nikon D4 DSLR firmware update improves autofocus!


i'm still looking for guidance on whether this update does anything noticeable..i sort of hate to wreck a good thing unless it becomes a better thing....


Dec 01, 2012 at 01:17 AM
sjms
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Nikon D4 DSLR firmware update improves autofocus!


the only comment I have here is I've done it and the camera functions normally. you generally don't notice all that much with these updates unless they actually add a new function. in this case they optimized a particular situation there are generally other code optimizations and minor fixes (clean ups) that are not listed. you are not taking any real chance here. in the long run if and when the next update shows up you will get whatever was in the last one too.

no fear here.



Dec 01, 2012 at 02:21 AM
nugeny
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Nikon D4 DSLR firmware update improves autofocus!


sjms wrote:
MAKE SURE YOUR BATTERY IS CHARGED

1- it is simply called: D4_0103.bin
2- drag it from your desktop to a CF or XQD card. do not put it into any other folder on the card.
3- slide the card into the camera and turn the camera on
4- navigate via the left icons to the wrench
5- once in that setup mentu navigate to the end where it says firmware version
6- access the that menu and it will show you 3 pieces of data: A, B and L
7- with the card in your camera in the right location it will see the new file
...Show more

thanks for help. I am getting closer, not quite.
I downloaded and copy the file D4-0103.bin--- D4Update to both XQD and CF, not under any file.
When I accessed setup, firmware it showed: only A:1.01 B:1.01 and L:1.004 and: done,OK
There was no option for update and it doesn't show the new firmware 103



Dec 01, 2012 at 05:08 AM
1      
2
       3       end




FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       3       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password