Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Fotodiox pro softboxes? (Fixing the AB speedring)

jzucker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fotodiox pro softboxes? (Fixing the AB speedring)

I love the design in theory because they are foldable like an umbrella and the speedring inserts screw in and out so they can fit different manufacturer's lights.

However, the fit is a bit loose on the alien bees mounts. The einstein fingers are long enough and strong enough to hold it but I'm not sure about the AB series.

One thing that would make it more secure is if the washers that held in the speed ring were oval instead of round. The washers are barely big enough to fit over the edges of the speed ring and I'm always nervous the ring will slip out. If I could get oval or oblong washers that sat more securely over the edge of the ring I'd be happier. Anyone have a good/cheap solution to this issue?

Nov 26, 2012 at 02:26 PM
bills_pix

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fotodiox pro softboxes? (Fixing the AB speedring)

Take a look in the small fastener section (banks of metal drawers) of HD or Lowes for oblong washers. Being in Ohio you likely have ready access to automotive fastener stores. You will be surprised at the variety they carry. Failing that, get larger washers and Dremel them to shape.

Nov 26, 2012 at 03:17 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fotodiox pro softboxes? (Fixing the AB speedring)

bills_pix wrote:
Take a look in the small fastener section (banks of metal drawers) of HD or Lowes for oblong washers. Being in Ohio you likely have ready access to automotive fastener stores. You will be surprised at the variety they carry. Failing that, get larger washers and Dremel them to shape.

i didn't see anything at HD. I'll dremel some larger ones if I have to. Hartville tool has an interesting nut that i'd still have to dremel but it might be a good solution.

Nov 26, 2012 at 03:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

saelee
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fotodiox pro softboxes? (Fixing the AB speedring)

I've been using them for about a year now with my ABs and I never felt like it was going to fall apart. I am an on location shooter so I have to open/close it on every shoot. I've even used it when it was really windy outside(with an assistant holding the unit).

BTW, I have the 36" octabox.

Nov 27, 2012 at 06:55 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fotodiox pro softboxes? (Fixing the AB speedring)

I also have the 36" octabox as well as a 1/2 dozen other of their boxes. Whether you felt like it was going to fall off or not, it's definitely possible for it to come out which I have proven (unfortunately) by experience.

At any rate, it turns out I had 10 of the oblong washers pictured above in a parts drawer and I was able to reshape it easily with a dremel and now the ring has no possibility of coming out so it's a reasonable solution. Unfortunately, it seems that the mounting rings of the fotodiox modifiers are very poorly engineered. When I was using elinchrom, I had to dremel out the cutouts because the ring literally wouldn't fit on the lights.

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:03 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fotodiox pro softboxes? (Fixing the AB speedring)

ok, so I re-engineered some washers so the fotodiox ring ain't going anywhere now. However, the fotodiox ring is a horrible fit on the Einstein lights. Don't know if it fits any better on the AB series but on the einstein, the ring has about 3/16" of play on all sides so the softbox never feels secure on the mount. The Photoflex .AB ring and of course the buff speedrings are super-tight with ZERO play so it's obviously a manufacturing issue with the fotodiox rings. It's too bad because the fotodiox softbox is really nice the way it opens and closes like an umbrella. Similar to but not as robust as the buff softboxes.

And it's not just the Buff speedring that's screwed up. I used to have elinchrom lights and as I mentioned in the previous posting, I had to dremel the elinchrom speedring to get it to lock onto the elinchrom lights. Fotodiox seems to be in denial about it's speedring fit issues.

I decided to return the fotodiox softboxes and rings and buy true-blue buff softboxes for the latest 2 that I ordered. In time I'm going to replace the other 4 fotodiox softboxes I have too and replace them with buff boxes.

Nov 28, 2012 at 03:14 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password