Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · What do you guys thing about a Manfrotto 3021

tmpollard
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What do you guys thing about a Manfrotto 3021

I'm wanting to purchase a tripod for occasional use, few moon shots and landscapes, do you guys think the Manfrotto 3021 would be a good investment?

I will be using it with a D7000 and a 70-300 lens.

Nov 26, 2012 at 04:19 AM
dcains
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What do you guys thing about a Manfrotto 3021

I've got one - rock solid, and tall, but heavy. Somewhat easy to find used for ~$100, but you'll need a ballhead, too. Total budget?

BTW, the Bogen version is the 3021, while the Manfrotto is the 055. Same tripod. In fact, my Manfrotto 055ProB version actually has both names and numbers engraved into one of its legs.

FM reviews:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=140

Nov 26, 2012 at 06:34 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What do you guys thing about a Manfrotto 3021

The versions changed a bit over the years as well. I have a silver one ~30 years old and a black one ~20 years old. They are solid tripods, but not so vibration-free as a modern CF tripod. Try not to raise the center column if you don't have to do so.

EBH

Nov 26, 2012 at 11:41 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What do you guys thing about a Manfrotto 3021

got one leaning against the wall in my room here. use it mostly with a laser level these days.

Nov 26, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What do you guys thing about a Manfrotto 3021

They are also useful for flash stands, etc.

EBH

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:32 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What do you guys thing about a Manfrotto 3021

dcains wrote:
...the Manfrotto is the 055.

I have two of the old silver ones, 055GS. One stays in the trunk of my car with a Manfrotto 468MG head + Wimberley A-S clamp, and the other is usually set up in my home studio with a Manfrotto 410 geared head. I have a variety of spare centre columns, with various attachments, as well as a centre post clamp holder 349, that allows me to attach a centre column to the edge of a table top, and etc.

I bought a third 055 about a year ago (eBay $89, incl. shipping), that I've separated into parts. The top section of this 055 will be attached to a heavy duty survey tripod, and that will allow me to mount all of my 055 stuff on the survey tripod - it's in my 'to do' list. The legs from this 055 are stored away as spares.

Once in a while, I have to tighten up a few of the gizmos that attach the leg clamps to the legs, but they're generally pretty bomb proof.

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:39 PM
tmpollard
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What do you guys thing about a Manfrotto 3021

Would like to keep it 100-200 dollars.

Nov 26, 2012 at 10:18 PM
PeaktoPeek
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What do you guys thing about a Manfrotto 3021

Bombproof, for sure. I often thought (while hiking alone in the dark in bear country) that my 3021 could have been used to fight off a bear if needed. I just got so tired of carrying that weight up and down trails over the years. There is no reason to use one for hiking, but for car-based or home photography its tough to beat if you can find a good deal.
Paul

Nov 27, 2012 at 06:54 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password