Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Self Contained Monolights

Image1
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Self Contained Monolights

Most of my experience years ago was with AC powered pack lights, I am planning on doing some location portrait & small group work, and I'm wondering about these self contained Monolights, are there any reliable lower priced units on the market, or is this a strictly ...you get what you pay for piece of equipment.

Nov 25, 2012 at 10:36 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Self Contained Monolights

Definitely what-you-pay-is-what-you-get, but even so there are some good deals out there, just without as many bells and whistles and less-rugged construction.

The Made-in-America Alien Bees line by Paul C. Buff, Inc. is very popular, and is used by many portrait shooters; for a bit more money his new Einstein ups the game considerably.

For imports, both Elinchrom and Bowens have monolight strobes in a variety of price points.

Pack-and-head systems still have advantages, particularly if you're hoisting lights on a boom, so don't rule them out. Sometimes a combination of the two is the way to go.

HTH.

Nov 25, 2012 at 11:34 PM
Image1
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Self Contained Monolights

BrianO wrote:
The Made-in-America Alien Bees line by Paul C. Buff, Inc. is very popular, and is used by many portrait shooters; for a bit more money his new Einstein ups the game considerably.HTH.

Thanks BrianO, I'm considering those Alien Bee's due to their popularity with so many photographers they are obviously reliable! I'm not sure I understand exactly how this Vagabond battery works with the heads though! ...These are normal 120Volt AC heads, and then you purchase a $239.00 Vagabond Mini 120VAC Inverter that accommodates what looks like 2 heads? ...is the battery included with this? and also what if you need to power 3 units? ...you need another inverter correct?

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:11 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Self Contained Monolights

Image1 wrote:
...I'm not sure I understand exactly how this Vagabond battery works with the heads though! ...These are normal 120Volt AC heads, and then you purchase a $130.00 Vagabond Mini 120VAC Inverter that accommodates what looks like 2 heads? ...is the battery included with this? and also what if you need to power 3 units? ...you need another inverter correct?

You only need the Vagabond if you're shooting outdoors or otherwise away from an A/C outlet. In the studio or most other locations you just run a power cord from the outlet to the monolight.

Yes, the battery comes with the Vagabond. Paul says you can run up to four monolights from the VB (Multi-outlet extensions cords needed?), but many people use one VB for each AB, just to get the most life from each of the batteries.

One important point about the VB is that it's not a run-of-the-mill inverter; it was chosen for the pure wave-form output that will work with the circuits of the AB or Einstein. Some cheaper inverters don't output true sine-wave current.

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:20 AM
Image1
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Self Contained Monolights

Thanks for the help Brian!

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:37 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password