Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       4       5       6       end
  

Archive 2012 · What's your fantasy purchase?
  
 
ct8282
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · What's your fantasy purchase?


Kittyk wrote:
you are missing 200/2 in that list.


I've read many views that the 200/2 is not that much different to the 70-200 @ f2.8. What are your thoughts on this? I'm interested as the 200/2 is on my wish list but I have the 70-200/2.8. Isn't there a 200 f2 thread somewhere with loads of sample pics....?



Nov 26, 2012 at 11:55 AM
Kittyk
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · What's your fantasy purchase?


ct8282 wrote:
I've read many views that the 200/2 is not that much different to the 70-200 @ f2.8. What are your thoughts on this? I'm interested as the 200/2 is on my wish list but I have the 70-200/2.8. Isn't there a 200 f2 thread somewhere with loads of sample pics....?


oh there is lot of differences

- for person photography it is huge difference because at MFD you lose lot of lenght as 70-200 is only about 150mm. For portraits you want as much as you can get. 600mm is optimal but 400/f4 or 200/2 (with this lens) gets you started.

- the background is much nicer on 70-200 because there is no background on 200/f2

- they are about same size, 200 is just little fatter, so it is not like hulking 600/4

- 70-200 quite sucks at f2

- they focus about same fast but in low light you get advantage with 200/2

i can go on, but you get the point



Nov 26, 2012 at 12:25 PM
EB-1
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · What's your fantasy purchase?


Most of those are hardly a fantasy, since one can easily go out and buy them now.

EBH



Nov 26, 2012 at 12:35 PM
EB-1
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · What's your fantasy purchase?


Kittyk wrote:
no, then i would be rotating camera again, i hate that .


Oh, I see. However, there would be a big waste of expensive sensor space to crop.

EBH



Nov 26, 2012 at 12:37 PM
ct8282
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · What's your fantasy purchase?


EB-1 wrote:
Most of those are hardly a fantasy, since one can easily go out and buy them now.

EBH


Well, mine are fantasy purchases. My NAS was being satisfied, then 4 months ago I bought a house and we had our first baby 3 months ago, so I no longer have any money, let alone enough for a 200 f2 or 300 f2.8.



Nov 26, 2012 at 12:42 PM
ct8282
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · What's your fantasy purchase?


Kittyk wrote:
oh there is lot of differences

- for person photography it is huge difference because at MFD you lose lot of lenght as 70-200 is only about 150mm. For portraits you want as much as you can get. 600mm is optimal but 400/f4 or 200/2 (with this lens) gets you started.

- the background is much nicer on 70-200 because there is no background on 200/f2

- they are about same size, 200 is just little fatter, so it is not like hulking 600/4

- 70-200 quite sucks at f2

- they focus about same fast but in low light you get advantage with
...Show more

Looks like you're not favouring one over the other. Do you use the 200/2, got any sample pics?

I've never heard someone say that 600mm is optimal for portraits. Hard to interact with your subjects when they're 200 metres away, lol.





Nov 26, 2012 at 12:53 PM
nikonsafari
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · What's your fantasy purchase?


I would buy a school in Africa and give free lessons to children as well as a photography lessons


Nov 26, 2012 at 12:58 PM
Andre Labonte
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · What's your fantasy purchase?


Kittyk wrote:
Well instead D400 with 55f1.2 you can buy D800 with 85 f1.4 :-)



Yea, but I don't want an FX camera. At the long end, the lens kit needed becomes to damb big and bulky for my liking even if I could afford anything I wanted.



Nov 26, 2012 at 01:37 PM
Kittyk
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · What's your fantasy purchase?


Andre Labonte wrote:
Yea, but I don't want an FX camera. At the long end, the lens kit needed becomes to damb big and bulky for my liking even if I could afford anything I wanted.


D800 is also awesome DX camera which have resolution of D4 and lets you magically expand your image if you accidentally make bad composition



Nov 26, 2012 at 02:26 PM
Kittyk
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · What's your fantasy purchase?


ct8282 wrote:
Looks like you're not favouring one over the other. Do you use the 200/2, got any sample pics?

I've never heard someone say that 600mm is optimal for portraits. Hard to interact with your subjects when they're 200 metres away, lol.



sorry it should read as i would never buy 70-200

sure
http://coms.fotografstuttgart.com/preview.php?g=TTDk.p&s=52bea&i=91cca

600mm is perfect for full body portraits. It lets you pick background even if you are shooting in cluttered city, is very flattering for almost all body types (rotating 1 removes 20kg of weight, extend lengs for 10cm, reduces butt size for two steps,...) and the distance also helps for PP, because hard contrast transitions stay there (eylashes, hairs towards background, clothes) but low contrast not that much (skin blemishes). It is a little easier to PP later. Also you never hit sun in frame unless you really do everything for to have it there, same for clouds. You can pick one lonely dramatically lit cloud and make it matter.

as for disadvantages, thats what walkie talkies are for. i have one on loud modus velcroed to light stand
if they sit or stay on same place (what they should anyway because of light) you can remote your camera and sit next to them interact eye to eye. not with some 120cm black hole stuck in their face.
nuff said that since i started to use MF again, my 500 i used so often lays in the cellar and is so sad that it wont speak to anyone.


Edited on Nov 26, 2012 at 02:37 PM · View previous versions



Nov 26, 2012 at 02:30 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



Andre Labonte
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · What's your fantasy purchase?


Kittyk wrote:
D800 is also awesome DX camera which have resolution of D4 and lets you magically expand your image if you accidentally make bad composition



Frame rate is too slow and I don't care to crop every image after the fact.



Nov 26, 2012 at 02:35 PM
ChrisDM
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · What's your fantasy purchase?


D4, 200-400, a Mac Pro and a truckload of Profoto stuff.


Nov 26, 2012 at 02:36 PM
Andre Labonte
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · What's your fantasy purchase?


Kittyk wrote:
sorry it should read as i would never buy 70-200

sure
http://coms.fotografstuttgart.com/preview.php?g=TTDk.p&s=52bea&i=91cca

600mm is perfect for full body portraits. It lets you pick background even if you are shooting in cluttered city, is very flattering for almost all body types (rotating 1 removes 20kg of weight, extend lengs for 10cm, reduces butt size for two steps,...) and the distance also helps for PP, because hard contrast transitions stay there (eylashes, hairs towards background, clothes) but low contrast not that much (skin blemishes). It is a little easier to PP later. Also you never hit sun in frame unless you really do everything
...Show more


I have to give you credit Kitty, you think differently. I do have to agree, long tele lenses take great portraits.



Nov 26, 2012 at 02:38 PM
Kittyk
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · What's your fantasy purchase?


Andre Labonte wrote:
Frame rate is too slow and I don't care to crop every image after the fact.


i dont believe that Photographer like you needs the framerate. and cropping can be done in camera and your favorite raw converter for you automatically

come on, dont be so stubborn, you know you want it.




Nov 26, 2012 at 02:39 PM
Andre Labonte
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · What's your fantasy purchase?


Kittyk wrote:
sorry it should read as i would never buy 70-200

sure
http://coms.fotografstuttgart.com/preview.php?g=TTDk.p&s=52bea&i=91cca

600mm is perfect for full body portraits. It lets you pick background even if you are shooting in cluttered city, is very flattering for almost all body types (rotating 1 removes 20kg of weight, extend lengs for 10cm, reduces butt size for two steps,...) and the distance also helps for PP, because hard contrast transitions stay there (eylashes, hairs towards background, clothes) but low contrast not that much (skin blemishes). It is a little easier to PP later. Also you never hit sun in frame unless you really do everything
...Show more


I have to give you credit Kitty, you think differently. I do have to agree, long tele lenses take great portraits.



Nov 26, 2012 at 02:40 PM
Andre Labonte
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · What's your fantasy purchase?


ChrisDM wrote:
D4, 200-400, a Mac Pro and a truckload of Profoto stuff.



Why use such a low end computer with such nice camera gear?



Nov 26, 2012 at 02:41 PM
Kittyk
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · What's your fantasy purchase?


Andre Labonte wrote:
Why use such a low end computer with such nice camera gear?



+1



Nov 26, 2012 at 02:43 PM
Andre Labonte
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · What's your fantasy purchase?


Kittyk wrote:
i dont believe that Photographer like you needs the framerate. and cropping can be done in camera and your favorite raw converter for you automatically

come on, dont be so stubborn, you know you want it.




Oh sure, a D600 with a nice 85 f/1.4 and a 24-70 for general purpose work & family events would be very nice indeed. If I did do FX, it would be limited to those areas where FX has the clear advantage such as what I just described.

But, then again, I still want the D400 for sports/wildlife and since DX is my "complete go anywhere do anything kit" I still need the 55 f/1.2 and would love a 120-300 f/2.8 ... I could only imagine the size of a 180-450 f/2.8 for FX !!!!!!

As for frame rate, I'm not sure why a "photographer like me" would not need the frame rate. I do a lot of sports, panning shots and kids at play. Timing is still important, but frame rate can be a great tool when combined with good timing.



Nov 26, 2012 at 03:29 PM
Andre Labonte
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · What's your fantasy purchase?


Kittyk wrote:
+1



Are you a PC person too?



Nov 26, 2012 at 03:31 PM
ct8282
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · What's your fantasy purchase?


Kittyk wrote:
Great shot Kitty.



Nov 26, 2012 at 03:45 PM
1       2      
3
       4       5       6       end




FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       4       5       6       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password