Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2012 · Remote SW Vista

CarlG
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Remote SW Vista

I've admired many of your pieces before but this one has to be one of the best I've seen - well done all the way around!!

Nov 25, 2012 at 01:05 PM
dbehrens
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Remote SW Vista

Very unique vista and beautiful shot. Your technique really shows the power of exposing to the right! Now I have a PS lesson to learn. Thanks!
Dave

Edit: Just tried the technique - this is an awesome tool!

Edited on Nov 25, 2012 at 02:58 PM · View previous versions

Nov 25, 2012 at 02:23 PM
Oregon Gal
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Remote SW Vista

Absolutely stunning image, a technique I am looking forward to trying and will watch for you're more extensive tutorial. Barbara

Nov 25, 2012 at 02:41 PM
camerausername
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Remote SW Vista

Great shot! That looks like a fun place to run around in.

Nov 25, 2012 at 05:53 PM
schlotz
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Remote SW Vista

Excellent work, look forward to your FM CS6 tutorial on "Blend If"

Nov 25, 2012 at 09:22 PM
snowboarder
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Remote SW Vista

Where is the location? Great shot.

Nov 25, 2012 at 09:54 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Remote SW Vista

snowboarder wrote:
Where is the location? Great shot.

PM me

Nov 25, 2012 at 11:40 PM
roman.johnston
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Remote SW Vista

Well seen, recorded and processed Mark...

I cant wait to get back in the SW next year (gonna be in Page area for my birthday next fall....late celebration)

Roman

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:26 AM
allstarimaging
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Remote SW Vista

Hi Mark,

Just curious if the rear LCD and histogram on your camera are working?? That first shot is a mess. Thanks for posting. The available recovery in full frame files combined with better and better enhancement software seems to be eliminating the need for filters. Great job on this.

Jack

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:41 AM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Remote SW Vista

allstarimaging wrote:
Hi Mark,

Just curious if the rear LCD and histogram on your camera are working?? That first shot is a mess. Thanks for posting. The available recovery in full frame files combined with better and better enhancement software seems to be eliminating the need for filters. Great job on this.

Jack

I many overexpose to get max data, so that made it look worse. I polarize around water and I like the 9 stop ND for creative work, but aside from that I don't use filters any more. No ND grads and such.

Nov 26, 2012 at 01:22 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

cherubino
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Remote SW Vista

Absolutely lovely image! Thank you for sharing your technique.
Bob

Nov 26, 2012 at 02:42 AM
Chris Anthony
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Remote SW Vista

Excellent image Mark! quick question, is the blend if slider in newer versions only? I Have cs3 and cannot find the tool. I'm really new to blending and have some images from Yosemite Id like to try and blend, I tried the merge to hdr with dismal results. Thanks for your time.

Nov 26, 2012 at 03:35 AM
Doug C
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Remote SW Vista

I've found the same thing, that the 'Blend If' slider does not appear to be available in CS3. I have CS6, but haven't had the time to instal it yet. This will be one of the first things I check out when I do! Thanks Mark for the always informative text, I too will look forward to the tutorial.

Nov 26, 2012 at 07:16 AM
nburwell
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Remote SW Vista

Fantastic job, Mark. I'm utterly speechless to what you achieved for your final image from the original.

-Nick

Nov 26, 2012 at 04:17 PM
allstarimaging
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Remote SW Vista

If you don't own photoshop but have Lightroom 4 are there plug in or stand alone software programs that will allow you to blend exposures to achieve this look? If so do you have any suggestions.
Jack

Nov 26, 2012 at 04:37 PM
DonH
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Remote SW Vista

Nice results, Mark.

Any difficulties with the Native population there? I understand that they are occasionally cracking down on access to this site.

Nov 26, 2012 at 05:15 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Remote SW Vista

Chris Anthony wrote:
Excellent image Mark! quick question, is the blend if slider in newer versions only? I Have cs3 and cannot find the tool. I'm really new to blending and have some images from Yosemite Id like to try and blend, I tried the merge to hdr with dismal results. Thanks for your time.

Well that is a good question. I started using the "Blend If" sliders after CS3 so I don't know. I assumed or thought they have been with PS a very long while. Try double clicking on the image icon (you have to have more than one layer) and see what happens.

Nov 26, 2012 at 05:44 PM
Lightsearcher
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Remote SW Vista

Amazing how much detail you recovered from the original.

I like final result, beautiful picture.

Marcelo

Nov 26, 2012 at 05:51 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Remote SW Vista

allstarimaging wrote:
If you don't own photoshop but have Lightroom 4 are there plug in or stand alone software programs that will allow you to blend exposures to achieve this look? If so do you have any suggestions.
Jack

I just finished a Video Tutorial entitled "Blending for Dynamic Range Made Easy - Blend If" which would be a great help. You can check my website if you are interested.

Otherwise, I don't believe that a generic program will ever give you excellence in blending. It must be done manually to optimized results. That is why I make mention of this technique, because it is relatively easy, not complicated like masks are and yet produces all the power I need for my workflow (not to say I don't occasionally mask some other ways). Today with the power of ACR and especially its localized tools like the Graduated Adjustment Tool, images can be quite close before importing into Photoshop CS6. Then a tool like "Blend If" should get the rest done. That is a fact with my workflow (and what I teach) over 90% of the time.

Nov 26, 2012 at 05:54 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Remote SW Vista

DonH wrote:
Nice results, Mark.

Any difficulties with the Native population there? I understand that they are occasionally cracking down on access to this site.

We did not descend into the valley, so no problems. I have not heard of anyone having issues (except if they tried going into the valley). To my understanding in 2009, going down into the valley required a special permit from those specific natives.

Nov 26, 2012 at 06:07 PM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password