Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Creative Cloud Opinions?

amonline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Creative Cloud Opinions?

So, I'm finally looking at upgrading CS3. Was wanting to take advantage of current discounts.

Anyone using the "cloud" version now? Pros? Cons? Opinions? Do you feel it's worth the $30mo.?

Nov 23, 2012 at 09:03 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Creative Cloud Opinions?

I think I found my answer...

Seems like a rip. $360 for this first year, while they take me out of upgrade eligibility, only to go back to $600/year in 12 months.

Tell me if I'm wrong. Tell me if you just buy the suite outright.

Nov 23, 2012 at 09:07 PM
Ryan Britton
• • •
p.1 #3 · Creative Cloud Opinions?

We won't upgrade past CS5 until forced to, but I suspect it'll be an outright purchase and not the subscription one. Adobe's activation system is fragile enough having to do it just once rather than regularly as a subscription would require. I've had it break just changing around hard drives before.

Nov 24, 2012 at 01:42 AM
fastcarsspeed
• •
p.1 #4 · Creative Cloud Opinions?

I am using Creative Cloud. I love it for 20.00 a month except for the fact they included Lightroom late so now I have a copy of lightroom that I am not even using . Very easy to use and can install on 2 computers but cannot use both at the same time is the only rule. I have the education license as I still take a class to qualify.

Nov 24, 2012 at 12:41 PM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Creative Cloud Opinions?

it works as advertised, we have cloud only photoshop as we do not need anything else

Nov 24, 2012 at 01:14 PM
WNStudio
• • •
p.1 #6 · Creative Cloud Opinions?

Just got this
https://store2.adobe.com/cfusion/store/html/index.cfm?store=OLS-PL&event=addToCartBySku&sku=65183065&trackingid=KADJF

Regular price in EU is about 60 euros so this looks really good even for our polish standarts. I was planning to learn InDesign this winter, and combined with photoshop this looks tempting. Also from what I've heard Adobe is planning to upgrade only last versions of their software so to stay up to date you will have to buy an upgrade for your products like every 2 year (and pay big $$$). Still thinking about it ...

Nov 27, 2012 at 03:29 PM
friscoron
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Creative Cloud Opinions?

I use it, and am very happy with it. The added costs going with the second year includes all future upgrades to all the programs. If you're only using Photoshop, it may not be worth it. But we use quite a few programs, including Premiere and After Effects.

Nov 27, 2012 at 03:46 PM
MattSepeta
• • •
p.1 #8 · Creative Cloud Opinions?

I use it for my photography and also for my normal job work. Photoshop, premiere, after effects, fireworks, acrobat pro, encore, media encoder.

Very much worth the monthly cost imo

Nov 27, 2012 at 03:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Creative Cloud Opinions?

For the little we use photoshop now, since LR has gotten better and elements is coming up... we will not go past our current version os CS5 either. Actually, when CS7 comes out, we will probably just get elements if we feel we need to continue to use photoshop. Who knows, maybe LR5 will have more things we use photoshop for and then we might just cut it out all together.

It's funny you bring this up too. Last night I wanted to reinstall photoshop on my wifes machine. I couldnt find the install discs so I logged in to my Adobe account and found the installed download link for a lot of the other adobe software we have but not for the cs5 design premium we purchased when it came out. So I called adobe and they said it is no longer on their servers and if I needed to installed cs5 I would need to upgrade to cs6. I called them out and said I had older software available on their server to download right now in my account. They said I would still need to upgrade to CS6.

So I WILL NOT be upgrading.

Nov 27, 2012 at 04:16 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · Creative Cloud Opinions?

I think the important thing to consider is if you can live with a "service" instead of a "purchased tool". The "service", while possibly cheaper in some scenarios, stops completely once you stop paying and you have nothing at that point. This is particularly important if you are considering one of the special deals right now that have a reduced rate for the first year. If Adobe doubles your rate after a year and you decide to stop your subscription you will have nothing at that point.

Not saying it's bad, just that it's wise to go in with your eyes open. I do think it's a subtle way for Adobe reduce the pressure of having to release a compelling product every 1.5 years, though.

Nov 27, 2012 at 04:33 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Creative Cloud Opinions?

That's the way I view it. You "end up" with nothing for your money. Paying a subscription for watching movies is one thing, but shelling out this kind of money when I only use a various app once or twice a week, or even once a month, for 15 minutes is asking a bit much.

Nov 27, 2012 at 04:52 PM
aclauson
• •
p.1 #12 · Creative Cloud Opinions?

I use it and love it.

Nov 29, 2012 at 05:26 PM
jprezant
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Creative Cloud Opinions?

man, if you use adobe products, 30/month is a ridiculously good price. Consider how much you're making by using
the software, and how insignificant 30/month is compared to that number.

Nov 29, 2012 at 06:57 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · Creative Cloud Opinions?

IMO (as a software developer), the main benefit to this type of licensing is that it is easier for a company to justify monthly costs for these types of tools than for a department to get a purchase order for something as expensive as an adobe product.

Software companies salivate at it because they can charge more for products, and tie people in continual payment (in effect paying for new versions even when not needed).

For individuals, it is a terrible deal.

Nov 29, 2012 at 08:13 PM
jolahern
• •
p.1 #15 · Creative Cloud Opinions?

I was on a monthly Indesign subscription to try it out for album design, decided to try the creative cloud due to the offer and it allowed me to continue using Indesign try out Muse and also updated Photoshop to CS6. I had already upadate Lightroom to version 4 so did not get that benifit.

According to Adobe the new upgrade path will be every 2 years, so CS7 will come in 2014.
So using current pricing, the subscription price will be 61.49/month, so that would be 738 for the next year. Alternative for me is to buy Indesign at $859 and upgrade my copy of PS CS5 to CS6 will cost another 245, so that would be 1104, so for the first year the subscription wins. But after that I'd be paying 1476 every two years, to upgrade Indeisgn would be 146, Photoshop 245 and Lightroom 134 so a total of 525 to upgrade every two years.

My current subscription offer at 30/month ends in 5 months, so after that I will just upgrade my version of photoshop, and see if I stick with Indeisgn or go back to looking at Photojunction!

Nov 30, 2012 at 12:00 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password