Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Printing: Matching paper type to image content

msoomro
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Printing: Matching paper type to image content

Looking for some opinions and recommendations how folks here are choosing paper type (Mate / Baryta / Luster) to match specific qualities of images for printing. I know some of it may just be personal preference…  ,

So far I have been using IGS Gold Fiber Silk for most of my BW/Color needs. I also grew liking Metallic papers for Architectural / Man made things specially if printing B&W. Both papers give me very good results and my general criteria has been that if I have an image high contrast and very vibrant colors I maximize these in print with Baryta papers.

I have seen some very good prints of nature/landscape on matte and experimenting if matte will work for me specially for scenes with landscape with softer colors, forest scenes and fall colors etc. Due to their texture and lack of ‘glare’ Matte seem to give a multidimensional look.

Any thoughts here.. ?

Nov 23, 2012 at 12:39 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Printing: Matching paper type to image content

My experience here is very limited but ...

Any glossy or semi-gloss paper will show greater contrast than matte paper and is also preferable if the subject is shiny (such as water, polished metal, etc.).

Matte is better if you need to or just want to avoid the reflections from light sources in the viewing area but it does not show very deep blacks or do a good job with what should be very shiny subjects. Shiny subjects without shine just don't look "right".

I've never tried the metallics and other special papers. So far I have only wanted to use semi-gloss and matte.

As well as matching paper type to the image content you also need to match the printer ink to the paper type or you'll risk getting a messy result. I had a problem with my Canon iPF 6100 getting this wrong when I created a custom paper type and nominated that it was matte but it used gloss black ink instead of matte black ink. Turned out that of the however many items allocated to the list of custom paper types half were only for matte and the other half were only for glossy, and it was the position in that custom list that actually determined which ink was used. For a while I was blaming the paper for the crappy results.

- Alan

Nov 30, 2012 at 08:28 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password