Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · That's it! No new modells next year ... !!!??

SoundHound
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · That's it! No new modells next year ... !!!??

The D3 to D4 upgrade (by way of a D3s) was a huge step up for me. Anytime you get another full stop of hi ISO all your lenses are a full stop faster (with same DOF). The D4 has the control advantage over the D3/D3s. This sounds like an incremental improvement but the way I, and many others, use those controls-it's a big deal.

The three current FX Nikons (D4/600/800) have similiar processing power (the product of Mp vs FPS and to some extent buffer memory). So further "improvements" (higher Mp verses FP) may likely await a better "on chip" data processing systems. The D800e is diffraction limited to approx F5.6-F8 so I am not sure how much more, effective, resolution you gain with a 50 or so Mp sensor. For sure, absent faster chips, you would have about 2.5 fps.

Nikon has, indeed, priced their FF cameras and features agressively verses Canon (compare the $2000 D600 to the $3300 5D III with the same Mp and better DR at low ISOs). So that as, Nikon adds lenses, Canon's user base of "I can't switch cause I own too many lenses Nikon doesn't make." will erode.

Canon must cut prices while upgrading features seeking to recapture market share they have lost to Nikon. But Nikon these past few years has been a moving target. I still have Canon glass that I am holding for investment but it's the odd time I shoot my FF Canons (usually the 15mm FE or 17mm TSE). Frankly I got tired of waiting for Canon to make the camera I wanted (the D3) so I am not anxious to buy Canon now.

Nov 26, 2012 at 11:40 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · That's it! No new modells next year ... !!!??

AndreasE wrote:
I did this chart for last year's "anniversary" of the D1.
Haven't updated it yet, but you can see the sequence of introductions
http://www.pbase.com/andrease/image/133469172/original.jpg

rgds,
Andy

Nice chart ... assuming the rough time trends hold, it explains why certain models have not been updated yet

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:53 PM
Vole
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · That's it! No new modells next year ... !!!??

Nikon aren't Apple

Nov 28, 2012 at 11:04 AM
firewireguy
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · That's it! No new modells next year ... !!!??

Definitely time for a D400

Nov 28, 2012 at 02:54 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · That's it! No new modells next year ... !!!??

brett maxwell wrote:
In the next two years...

There will certainly be new DX bodies.

There will almost certainly not be new FX small bodies.

There will almost certainly be new FX pro bodies (D4s and maybe D4x)

+1 The D4x is rumored to have a 36mp or 54mp sensor. There is also a rumor that a high-bread D7000+D300 which will be the next great DX body (D400 or D8000).

Nov 28, 2012 at 05:27 PM
Lance B
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · That's it! No new modells next year ... !!!??

The question is, why on earth are you waiting "for next years release"? If you take that to the "nth" degree, you will forever be waiting for the next "better" model. The point is, if you buy one now you will be using the camera for possibly 12 months instead of waiting for some imaginary camera that my never appear, a wasted year of missed chances of photography. I never understand why people "wait for something better" as the next model will always be better so you will forever be waiting and never aactually get one!

My philosophy is, buy now and enjoy it while you can, I have seen too many people I know die of cancer, heart disease, accidents etc and they miss the opportunity to live whilst they can.

Nov 28, 2012 at 05:50 PM
bemba

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · That's it! No new modells next year ... !!!??

Lance B wrote:
The question is, why on earth are you waiting "for next years release"? If you take that to the "nth" degree, you will forever be waiting for the next "better" model. The point is, if you buy one now you will be using the camera for possibly 12 months instead of waiting for some imaginary camera that my never appear, a wasted year of missed chances of photography. I never understand why people "wait for something better" as the next model will always be better so you will forever be waiting and never aactually get one!

My philosophy is,
...Show more

+1!!!!!!!

Nov 28, 2012 at 06:24 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · That's it! No new modells next year ... !!!??

Lance B wrote:

My philosophy is,
...Show more

+1000 ... you can't wait to live life or life will pass you by.

Nov 28, 2012 at 06:35 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.