New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Wow Pentax

treebeard
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Wow Pentax

Well, I have shot BIF with my K-5 and Tamron 70-200 2.8 with no problem. I have not really noticed any AF issues with my K-5...with that said I have used Nikon bodies and Canon bodies and the AF on those bodies did seem much snappier and quicker to lock on. Since I don't shoot BIF that is irrelevant to me. I guess if you shoot with Canon then stay with Canon and if you shoot with Nikon then stay with Nikon. I use 2 Sony NEX 5N's as well. Pentax has plenty to offer me, especially with their Limited lenses. The 35 Limited Macro is one of the sharpest lenses I have ever used.

Nov 26, 2012 at 03:12 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Wow Pentax

Spyro P. wrote:
Tariq how does the manual focusing ring feel in the hand?
Are the distance scales well spaced out?

Now that I'm back from traveling, just wanted to update with more specifics. The MF feels even better than I remembered as far as action. No play, no looseness and smooth when turned but without dampening like with a full time MF lens. Unfortunately, the spacing and increments of the distance scales leave a lot to be desired. It also takes only about 1/4 turn to go from min. focus distance to infinity. Pretty much typical of all AF lenses I guess.

Nov 26, 2012 at 05:30 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Wow Pentax

treebeard wrote:
I use 2 Sony NEX 5N's as well. Pentax has plenty to offer me, especially with their Limited lenses. The 35 Limited Macro is one of the sharpest lenses I have ever used.

Tree, I'm curious as to whether you've tried adapting your Pentax lenses to your NEX 5N's and if so what you thought.

Nov 26, 2012 at 06:19 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Wow Pentax

Tariq: The 21 Limited is generally considered to be the second best lens of that focal length in Pentax land, the FA 20/2.8 is optically better, although distinctly larger.

As to me, I'm a long-time Pentax waffler. Love the (digital) bodies, love how the glass performs but Pentax by and large does not make the lenses I want, prefering smaller and slower lenses to the mid-speed/mid-size I prefer. Also I still shoot film and have found that I just don't like Pentax film bodies aside from the LX and I'm not really willing to pay the price of a low-mileage LX when I can have an FM2n for half the price.

Nov 26, 2012 at 10:17 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Wow Pentax

Yes, I have read the FA 20/2.8 is a great lens. If size is not a consideration, it would probably be the one to get since it would cover any future FF Pentax. I'm actually just sort of dabbling with the Pentax on the side at the moment as the size of the K5 with a small lens like the 21 limited makes for a nice street/ family/ snap shot type kit.

Nov 26, 2012 at 11:08 PM
treebeard
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Wow Pentax

Jeff Kott wrote:
Tree, I'm curious as to whether you've tried adapting your Pentax lenses to your NEX 5N's and if so what you thought.

Of course I have! I have two adapters which I use, especially love using my SMC-A 50/1.7. Focus peaking is great and it's just as sharp as it should be.

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:56 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Wow Pentax

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Yes, I have read the FA 20/2.8 is a great lens. If size is not a consideration, it would probably be the one to get since it would cover any future FF Pentax. I'm actually just sort of dabbling with the Pentax on the side at the moment as the size of the K5 with a small lens like the 21 limited makes for a nice street/ family/ snap shot type kit.

I can certainly understand that, and the 21 is no slouch even if the FA20 is better.

And the K-5's are great reasons to shoot the system, in a lot of ways they're my favourite DSLR (outstanding IQ and ergonomics, no size penalty and fully sealed). If Pentax came up with a fast 24, I'd seriously consider buying back into the system (the other fast lens I want already exists in the DA* 55/1.4). But then again I really do need to decide how I'm going to handle a companion system to my NEX-7, I could go Nikon (have 2 film bodies, 5 lenses, although 1's a DX G lens, so not usable on my current Nikon bodies), Sony (2 film bodies, 2 lenses, LA-EA1 adapter) or something else.

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:01 PM
deadwolfbones
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Wow Pentax

MarcG19 wrote:
Random thoughts:

I need a DSLR primarily to feed my animal photography pretentions (in particular birds in flight). Without the superior AF, pentaprism viewfinder, and controls of a good DSLR, I have no use for a DSLR per se and the emergence of micro-4/3s has had me using this for almost all my non-animal photography.

Pentax has always intrigued me: in-camera image stabilization, excellent reputation of its glass, a truly wide APS-C prime that Canikon lacks (the primary thing that launched me into m4/3 has been the portability of the lenses), and sensor technology that seems to basically keep up with
...Show more

You're correct about the lack of telephotos. The 60-240/4 is a nice lens, but aside from that you need to buy some old film-era lenses used to get reach, and they're not spectacular compared to their Nikon/Canon counterparts. Their predictive AF is also generally a lot weaker than Canon or (especially) Nikon's. I've been shooting Pentax since I got into photography, and later added a Nikon D700. There's no doubt in my mind that for sports/wildlife I would always pick the Nikon. But I do love my K-5 and K-30 unreservedly. I shoot almost exclusively with primes <100mm, though, which means street photography, portraiture, and landscape.

Nov 28, 2012 at 09:41 AM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.