Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Testing new to me 5dII and Beauty Dish

fastcarsspeed
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Testing new to me 5dII and Beauty Dish

Ok so my daughter is too busy doing whatever teenage girls do so I had to resort to her childhood friends to test out my new body and BD. Please provide some feedback as I am really trying to work on lighting for headshots and would like to know how bad I am doing here .

Nov 21, 2012 at 10:28 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Testing new to me 5dII and Beauty Dish

Hi,

I see your photo post has had about 300 views and no comments from viewers.

I know that can be disappointing and often discourages people from posting/participating in a forum like this.

So, I will post a comment or two and maybe that will get others to contribute their views too.

As with anything where a subjective view (opinion) is shared, there can be many views of the same issue or subject.

My Quick Suggestion: Don't take photos of PLUSH animals. In my opinion you are wasting your time shooting those. You need to photograph human faces instead.

I will send you some suggestions in PM, if you wish, later. In a hurry now, it is Thanksgiving.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Nov 22, 2012 at 07:47 PM
GraceNFaith

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Testing new to me 5dII and Beauty Dish

+1 on Steady's comment. But from what I initially see, lighting is flat. I'm sure you will get tons of feedback once there is an actual live person in front of your camera.

Nov 22, 2012 at 09:03 PM
Poff Photo
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Testing new to me 5dII and Beauty Dish

It's the shadows that give a good headshot depth and texture... You just can't get that with Stitch! Every teenager has a price - bribe her with an iTunes gift card...

Nov 23, 2012 at 09:07 AM
fastcarsspeed
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Testing new to me 5dII and Beauty Dish

Yeah human model are def better. Here are two shots with my daughter. Really trying to figure out distance of BD from model and the right settings to use to give the best light and look. I need a different light stand I think to get it positioned better than just my vertical light stand.

http://photos.syndicated-design.com/Family/Ashlie-Headshots/i-kFf36gh/0/X2/IMG_5617-X2.jpg

http://photos.syndicated-design.com/Family/Ashlie-Headshots/i-2rPTr9h/0/X2/IMG_5632-X2.jpg

Nov 23, 2012 at 04:24 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Testing new to me 5dII and Beauty Dish

Quick Suggestion: Compare the eyes in the two shots of the girl.

Nov 23, 2012 at 07:32 PM

Andre Goli
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Testing new to me 5dII and Beauty Dish

yep.. first one is awesome.. second one missed the light in her eyes..

Nov 24, 2012 at 01:20 AM
fastcarsspeed
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Testing new to me 5dII and Beauty Dish

Yeah the first one I had a light to the right with BD to the high left on an angle down. I was trying to get the background to out a little more and tried no light on the right with the BD angled down more and also more in front of her. I also turned the power down some on the BD. I have some more to edit and will try to post later but yeah I really need to work on it more to get that look.

Nov 24, 2012 at 01:38 AM
fastcarsspeed
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Testing new to me 5dII and Beauty Dish

I feel like this is a little blown out but would like opinions.

http://photos.syndicated-design.com/Family/Ashlie-Headshots/i-N4XVFrm/0/X2/IMG_5643-X2.jpg

Nov 24, 2012 at 02:04 AM
ESC in KC
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Testing new to me 5dII and Beauty Dish

Agree - the light is hot on her forehead - but the BD is going to give some pretty hot light and that is part of the look. You just need to expect it and control it. And her eye sockets are shading the top half of her eyes. I suggest a reflector back up into eyes for this kind of light position.

Also, look at the two-toned light you have in number one. Were you using an incandescent bulb as fill? It looks very yellow against the white of the BD. You can see the difference in color in the catchlights in her eyes on #1. One is very white and one is vey yellow. You may be able to get away with that in b/w, but in color, nope.

Nov 24, 2012 at 12:55 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Testing new to me 5dII and Beauty Dish

Hi,

Another Quick Comment: I would prefer to see more DOF in these portraits.

Also, you seem to be asking something without giving much basic info...I suggest you post in your introduction up top, the specifics for the shots (e.g. aperture, method of exposure metering, settings on camera, etc.)

Nov 24, 2012 at 04:15 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password