Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              39      
       41       end

Archive 2012 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Helen Oster
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.40 #1 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

mike hogle wrote:
I would really like to have a sharp copy of this lens that would work without adjustments on both my 5Dc and 1Diii, and I am ready to spend the money. But I don't want the hassle of doing a bunch of testing and sending back several before I get a good one. After reading this entire thread, I am not sure what percentage of people are unhappy with the focus precision. Is it 10% or 40% or somewhere in between? Also, what happens to the returned lenses, lets say at B&H, Beach Camera, or Adorama? Do they get
...Show more
ALL the ones returned to Adorama go back to Sigma, along with ALL the ones which we test prior to shipping and find to be not up to the standard we expect.

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
Helen@adorama.com

Apr 04, 2013 at 07:00 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.40 #2 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

The zeiss could be 3x as sharp as the canon and sigma, and 1/3 of the cost.

I wouldn't buy it.

The sigma and canon af 1,000,000,000,000 x better.

quote]Sven Jeppesen wrote:
The Zeiss ZE with Canon mount can easily match and beat the 35L. The best 35mm lens for a decade It's a good lens, but certainly not the best....

Apr 04, 2013 at 11:58 AM
mike hogle

p.40 #3 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

ALL the ones returned to Adorama go back to Sigma, along with ALL the ones which we test prior to shipping and find to be not up to the standard we expect.

Helen Oster
Helen@adorama.com

Thank you Helen!

That is valuable information to me, and is just what should be happening. It is, IMHO, one of the biggest reasons to use a reliable, & reputable dealer.

Are you doing significant testing with this particular lens, and if so, what are the results on the up-to-standards test?

Apr 04, 2013 at 01:40 PM
Helen Oster
• • •
p.40 #4 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

mike hogle wrote:
Thank you Helen!

That is valuable information to me, and is just what should be happening. It is, IMHO, one of the biggest reasons to use a reliable, & reputable dealer.

Are you doing significant testing with this particular lens, and if so, what are the results on the up-to-standards test?

From our tester:

"I make sure the mechanical aspect of the lens is working properly, hooked up to the same camera the customer uses at home.
I also check for the defects we are aware of from Sigma, including spots, bubbles, dust trapped inside etc before giving it the OK"

Apr 04, 2013 at 01:43 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.40 #5 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

A few test shots with the Sigma

f/1,4

f/3,5

f/9

Apr 08, 2013 at 03:05 PM
mikeinctown
• •
p.40 #6 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Helen, can you describe how your shipping manager tests the lenses? I ask because when I ordered mine it shipped literally within hours. Manny said it went out fast because it was a slow day. I found AF to be very erratic on my 5D2 in all light conditions and distances. I sent it to Sigma last week where they said they did an AF software update. However, I still need at least -12MA on my camera. While I am getting much sharper pictures and the inconsistencies between lighting conditions do not seem to be there anymore, (or at least as abundant) there are times where focus is off by a fair amount.

Apr 08, 2013 at 03:49 PM
Helen Oster
• • •
p.40 #7 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

From our tester:

"I make sure the mechanical aspect of the lens is working properly, hooked up to the same camera the customer uses at home.
I also check for the defects we are aware of from Sigma, including spots, bubbles, dust trapped inside etc before giving it the OK"

Apr 08, 2013 at 03:55 PM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.40 #8 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Lars Johnsson wrote:

f/1,4
http://www.pbase.com/larsjohnsson/image/149581419/original.

f/3,5
http://www.pbase.com/larsjohnsson/image/149581420/original.jpg

f/9
http://www.pbase.com/larsjohnsson/image/149581421/original.

Very nice, like this one best

Apr 09, 2013 at 11:49 AM
Papathanassiou
• •
p.40 #9 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Lars Johnsson wrote:

Can't argue with those Lars, lovely colours too!

Apr 09, 2013 at 12:11 PM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.40 #10 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

I bought one. I have owned two 35L's in the recent past. The Sigma is much better than the 35L. Less distortion, much sharper, less lens flare. When you shoot it for the first time you will be astonished at just how sharp it is at f/1.4. I was checking the exif data just to verify that it was in fact f/1.4. It is truly a special lens. I am one who never buys third party lenses. Sigma made a believer out of me with the 35mm.

Apr 09, 2013 at 09:30 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Patman99

p.40 #11 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

The only thing I'm now seeing is that if I shoot a person of average height (5'5" to 6') from head-to-toe standing up, and I use the outer-most right edge AF point on my 5D3 (in portrait orientation) to focus on the face/eyes, the resultant image isn't quite in focus. I'll have to develop some other technique on landing the AF point so that I still get a sharp photo from taking the full-body shot. Otherwise, still loving the lens.

Apr 09, 2013 at 09:47 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.40 #12 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Patman99 wrote:
The only thing I'm now seeing is that if I shoot a person of average height (5'5" to 6') from head-to-toe standing up, and I use the outer-most right edge AF point on my 5D3 (in portrait orientation) to focus on the face/eyes, the resultant image isn't quite in focus. I'll have to develop some other technique on landing the AF point so that I still get a sharp photo from taking the full-body shot. Otherwise, still loving the lens.

The outer point is just a horizontal line AF point. If you use the second outer AF point instead. You will have a cross point with both horizontal and vertical lines.

Apr 09, 2013 at 10:26 PM
lucas lumiere
• •
p.40 #13 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Lars,

Any chance we can see a 100% crop of that fly on the leaf in the above photo?

Apr 09, 2013 at 11:46 PM
Joseph Garcin
• •
p.40 #14 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Helen Oster wrote:

Helen Oster
Helen@adorama.com

We need a "love" button rather than "like" for Helen.

Apr 10, 2013 at 03:15 AM
Patman99

p.40 #15 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Lars Johnsson wrote:
The outer point is just a horizontal line AF point. If you use the second outer AF point instead. You will have a cross point with both horizontal and vertical lines.

I had planned on reading up on the cross points this weekend, so thank you for the info, I'll re-adjust my shooting and see if I get better results.

Apr 10, 2013 at 02:31 PM
venkidesh Iyer
• •
p.40 #16 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Helen Oster wrote:
From our tester:

Helen, Do i make a request to test specifically when i buy the lens..? If yes how do i do that?.. should i call customer service and give my order number and also tell the body i am using it with and make a request for testing before shipping?

Apr 10, 2013 at 09:32 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.40 #17 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Joseph Garcin wrote:
We need a "love" button rather than "like" for Helen.

+1

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Apr 11, 2013 at 08:53 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.40 #18 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

A few more Sigma 35 test shots

Apr 11, 2013 at 02:13 PM
Helen Oster
• • •
p.40 #19 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

venkidesh Iyer wrote:
Helen, Do i make a request to test specifically when i buy the lens..? If yes how do i do that?.. should i call customer service and give my order number and also tell the body i am using it with and make a request for testing before shipping?

Yes we can do that, provided we have both the lens and a demo body in at the same time. You need to be aware of - and agree to - the following:

we cannot guarantee 100% that you will not still need to send your own body and lens off to Sigma together for re-calibration, but we are definitely finding that by carrying out these checks beforehand that we've been able to reduce significantly the possibility of this being required

your purchase will in theory be 'open box', but we will nevertheless need to charge you the full purchase price, as we are only opening it up to provide you with this additional service

Shipping may be delayed by a couple of days as our DC manager does this himself on request, and needs to fit it into his existing workload.

What you need to do is call or email your order in to Manny in our sales department - mannyn@adorama.com. 800.223.2500 | Local 212.741.0401

Explain to him what you want - he needs to personally forward your order confirmation number to Adam in our DC so that it doesn't enter the main shipping process.

Customer Service are NOT able to deal with this - they go into a tailspin if asked!

Helen

Apr 11, 2013 at 02:24 PM
Helen Oster
• • •
p.40 #20 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Yakim Peled wrote:
+1

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Love it!

H