Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              33      
       35              40       41       end

Archive 2012 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

webisweb
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.34 #1 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Invertalon wrote:
I had issues with (2) copies and gave up... Focus issues in different lighting conditions.

+1

Mar 21, 2013 at 10:54 PM
hankhennesy

Upload & Sell: Off
p.34 #2 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

My second copy is just outstanding.
hank

Mar 22, 2013 at 01:33 AM
JohnDizzo15

p.34 #3 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Shooting with it in lower light conditions around the house this evening and it is not working out. Going to get another copy. Hope I have your same luck, Hank.

Mar 22, 2013 at 04:09 AM
bwhip62
• •
p.34 #4 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

zlatko wrote:
The dog photos are quite wonderful! Of course, I'm curious -- is there any post-processing on these?

Oops, sorry, been away from this thread for a while, and just now saw this.

Yes, they all have some post work on them, but not a lot. Most had a bit of a gradient applied to the sky to darken it a bit and bring out some more detail in the clouds or mountains in the background. Also some cropping, occasional healing/cloning to eliminate distracting elements, some had some lightening of the shadows to bring some detail out of the darkness due to the backlighting and lack of fill flash or reflector being handy, and on a couple I used a Kubota preset called "Light and Vivid" which add some Vibrance and Clarity to give the colors some more pop.

Mar 22, 2013 at 07:08 PM
supermario343
• • •
p.34 #5 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

shimmer down by mariosworld343, on Flickr

Mar 22, 2013 at 10:40 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.34 #6 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

JohnDizzo15 wrote:
Shooting with it in lower light conditions around the house this evening and it is not working out. Going to get another copy. Hope I have your same luck, Hank.

No chance it could be operator error??

Mar 22, 2013 at 10:43 PM
marko1953
• • •
p.34 #7 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Dam!, was about to order one of these then started reading this thread. Now I don't know what to do! What % do you think are "bad apples"? Might think about ordering from a local shop rather than on line so I have somewhere more tangible to go bak to if I get a bad one.

Mar 22, 2013 at 10:50 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.34 #8 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

< less than 10% I'd bet. The whiners ALWAYS make more noise.

Mar 22, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Patman99

p.34 #9 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Is there only a 1-year warranty with this lens? I remember the Sigma 50mm and 85mm having 5-year warranty periods.

Edited on Mar 22, 2013 at 11:27 PM · View previous versions

Mar 22, 2013 at 10:56 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.34 #10 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

It's 4 (1+3) and 10 in Canada eh?!

Mar 22, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

marko1953
• • •
p.34 #11 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

I think we get 2 years in Australia

Mar 22, 2013 at 11:14 PM
Patman99

p.34 #12 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

BTW, I decided to keep my copy, even with the MFA set at +8. I shot with it at a few different events, thousands of photos, and was more than happy to jettison my heavy brick of a lens (the Canon 24-70mm MKI) afterwards, literally just sold it today to a local buyer.

I got to use the S35 at a cosplay nightclub party (not shooting at F/1.4 exclusively, just real world use) last weekend, and got good results wrt AF performance.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/patcave/sets/72157633060256349/

There is a small percentage of shots that were captured with a Sigma 85mm lens, mostly the portrait shots that fill the entire frame/picture. The vast majority were shot with the S35 lens.

What was funny is when I missed AF lock shooting 2 people standing side by side in the frame (the AF point going to a faraway point behind them in between the people), the focus at the faraway was dead-on, not front-focused for far-away shots. The close-in shots (within 10 feet) performance was reliable for the most part as well. Sometimes user-error (me) would cause the thin DOF to leave 1 of 2 people OOF if they were staggered, and not on the same plane of focus, which was understandable, and my fault (just me wanting to shoot wide-open and not thinking when I was shooting 2 people not on the same focal plane).

The sharpness of the lens is really nice. I took a group shot from a good 30 feet away, with people filling the frame from left-to-right edges, each person was in focus, not focused well in the middle, and not-so-well towards the edges (like shots from my zoom lenses would exhibit when I used them). I previously uploaded a 3000x862 version of this group shot (hand-held, 1/125, F/5.6, ISO 200 on a 5D3 body) for the photoshoot participants, but you can check it out as well:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/patcave/8577853800/

(right-click on the photo image to pick to see the original size uploaded)

I have a bunch of photos to go through from this past weekend, but initial review of the photos tells me there are a lot of sharp photos, mostly shot F/1.6-F/2.5, and some at narrower aperture when the circumstances dictated deeper DOF for group shots.

I'm glad I have this lens in my camera bag now.

Mar 22, 2013 at 11:26 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.34 #13 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Trenchmonkey -- the poll I saw here (might have been in Alt forum) had about 25% of units either defective and/or returned. Many were experienced users and pros. That leaves 75% trouble free. Take that as you will.

Mar 23, 2013 at 12:04 AM
JohnDizzo15

p.34 #14 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Trenchmonkey - please read my previous posts. I suppose I just get lucky with my other 18 lenses and that luck just didn't transfer to the sigma.

The shooting around the house was the absolute last thing I did before packing it up. I did plenty more with it prior to that. Again, see previous.

There are plenty of people that are experiencing very similar issues. Even if quality control were improved, it still wouldn't completely eliminate the existence of defective units. All companies make lemons as we all know. So why try to offend people by making such inferences when there is a real possibility of them having a unit that is in fact defective?

Mar 23, 2013 at 02:16 AM
JohnDizzo15

p.34 #15 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Just so we are all clear...again. I am not bashing this lens and/or sigma. I am waiting on getting a second copy and I absolutely love what it CAN do. Just not happy with the one I just shipped back to BH. I was merely reporting my "FIRST IMPRESSIONS" as I thought that's what this thread was about.

Let's all bear in mind that for every person in here you think is a canon fanboy just trying to bash sigma, there is another person counteracting that by being a sigma fanboy and antagonizing people that are merely providing a real experience and impression of the lens. That doesn't make those people any better than the canon fanboys now, does it?

Mar 23, 2013 at 02:34 AM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.34 #16 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

JohnDizzo15 wrote:
Just so we are all clear...again. I am not bashing this lens and/or sigma. I am waiting on getting a second copy and I absolutely love what it CAN do. Just not happy with the one I just shipped back to BH. I was merely reporting my "FIRST IMPRESSIONS" as I thought that's what this thread was about.

Let's all bear in mind that for every person in here you think is a canon fanboy just trying to bash sigma, there is another person counteracting that by being a sigma fanboy and antagonizing people that are merely providing a real
...Show more

Of course you are Bashing this lens. It's obvious when all your post at FM 100% is about this lens. You even wrote that you don't like to discuss any other topic or any other equipment than this Sigma lens.
Who would sign up to FM and only like to write about one lens or topic. And a lens you don't even think is good...............
To prove it you privided us with a link to your flickr website. And that site didn't have any pics from this lens or even any pics shot with other real cameras/lenses. Only one cell phone pic.
show us some of your shots with this sigma lens instead.

Mar 23, 2013 at 02:58 AM
JohnDizzo15

p.34 #17 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Lasse - seriously? Are you actually reading and comprehending what it is I have been saying? Sheer absurdity on your part, dude.

Mar 23, 2013 at 03:03 AM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.34 #18 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

JohnDizzo15 wrote:

Ok, show some of the pics that didn't work out !!!

Mar 23, 2013 at 03:05 AM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.34 #19 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

trenchmonkey wrote:
< less than 10% I'd bet. The whiners ALWAYS make more noise.

+100

Mar 23, 2013 at 03:07 AM
lucas lumiere
• •
p.34 #20 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Wow, 34 pages littered with back and forths like this.

Can we come to a consensus that the siggy 35 is optically amazing, but that the trade-off is that there may be some copies with focus issues. Is the dock for lens adjustments available yet? Would that resolve the focus issues?

I bought myself a used 35L mostly because I liked the colours better. It's sharp enough for me.

Peace.

Mar 23, 2013 at 03:13 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password