Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              24      
       26              40       41       end

Archive 2012 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

jojomon11
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.25 #1 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Shaun Nyc wrote:
anybody have the guts to buy for 5D ?

yes

Dec 22, 2012 at 01:25 AM
KaiMD
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.25 #2 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

jojomon11 wrote:
yes

yes + 1

Dec 22, 2012 at 03:23 AM
Shaun Nyc
• •
p.25 #3 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

KaiMD wrote:
yes + 1

Just out of curiosity if the lens was front of back focusing who would adjust it? Or would you just return it ? Considering 5D has no micro adjust

Dec 24, 2012 at 12:25 PM
KaiMD
• •
p.25 #4 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

I guess I'd send to sigma. Not entirely sure, but I think you can send camera and lens in. I will say though so far, 5d is hitting focus great...not perfect...but not worse than my 35 f/2...much better actually

Dec 24, 2012 at 12:31 PM
Shaun Nyc
• •
p.25 #5 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

KaiMD wrote:
I guess I'd send to sigma. Not entirely sure, but I think you can send camera and lens in. I will say though so far, 5d is hitting focus great...not perfect...but not worse than my 35 f/2...much better actually

I think so , a few years back they offered to adjust an older nikon body w 10-20 but I declined. I'm putting together a 5d kit for myself but I think ill just go 35L so I have the option to send all to canon if it needs adjustment

Dec 24, 2012 at 01:08 PM
KaiMD
• •
p.25 #6 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

I don't think you can make a bad choice here. The sigma is great...but the canon is no slouch either. I've used now the sigma the canon f/2 and f1.4...they are all very good

Dec 24, 2012 at 02:11 PM
Shaun Nyc
• •
p.25 #7 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Agreed, I had the 35L years ago and have missed it since. My experiences w CPS has also been second none. I left in 08 for the D3 but it's time to come home

Dec 24, 2012 at 02:27 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.25 #8 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Shaun Nyc wrote:
Agreed, I had the 35L years ago and have missed it since. My experiences w CPS has also been second none. I left in 08 for the D3 but it's time to come home

I noticed that you listed a Nikkor 35mm f/1.4 in your profile. There was a recent test/comparison of fast 35mm lenses and the new Sigma came out ahead. The Canon 35L although it was an old design fared really well. What I thought was a complete surprise to me was the poor performance of the Nikkor since it is a relatively new lens of what? Two years or so? What is your experience with that lens? Just curious... BTW, another surprise was the only OK performance of the Zeiss lens in that comparison.

Dec 24, 2012 at 02:43 PM
Shaun Nyc
• •
p.25 #9 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

I just sold it and I'm going to get the sigma to use next season for event work. Hopefully sell off all nikon at end of season and come back to Canon 100%. Will get all canon lenses I need during the season and use on 5D for hobby shooting for now. Came across a 5d w 1800 clicks and felt it was a good way to get my foot in the door again. Anyway about the 35g, I think optically it did fairly well but it focused painfully slow imo. It's not what I remember from the 35L on a 1DIII, that combo focused very fast and the IQ was as good as or better than the G from what I remember. The 35L is what, a 13 yr old lens now ? I expected a lot more of a rounded lens for what I paid for that Nikon.

G

Dec 24, 2012 at 03:29 PM
Shield
• • •
p.25 #10 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

So, where to buy the Sigma F/1.4 TODAY if you don't want to deal with 47st photo?

Dec 24, 2012 at 05:03 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Invertalon
• • •
p.25 #11 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

I was in the same boat, but there is no other option ^

I bought it from them and the communication with them has been fantastic. Looks like they will be shipping it out today and I will receive it most likely Thursday or Friday at the very latest. They are an authorized Sigma and Canon dealer as well. There is no risk ordering form them honestly. Now there is a 17th street photo that is supposed to be risky and is often confused with 47th.

Adorama has no idea when they will get any (it switched from expecting in a few days until no estimate time for arrival) and B&H no idea either.

47th has excellent feedback on reseller ratings and anybody that has used them that I have researched. They offer 30-day money back refund if not satisfied, minus shipping fees back to them (what, $8?). Beyond 30-days, they can charge a 15% restocking fee, but beyond 30-days you should KNOW if you are keeping the lens or not. I don't see any problem.

I went through the same thing with PC Nation that has a very similar return policy when I had to exchange my 24-70 II... They were extremely nice and sent me my replacement right away and once I sent back the one I had they quickly refunded me.

I really needed this lens by next week when I leave for my California trip so I could not risk sitting on a pre-order list hoping that I would get it in time.

Dec 24, 2012 at 05:10 PM
Shield
• • •
p.25 #12 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Did you order it today? Through Amazon or their ebay listing?

Dec 24, 2012 at 05:16 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.25 #13 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

It's back in stock at B&H Photo.

Dec 24, 2012 at 11:47 PM
tbkphotoco

p.25 #14 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

So I'm about at the 4 week mark with my evaluation of the Sigma. Overall impressions are quite positive. Very sharp. Great build quality. Great autofocusing in good light. Somewhat slow in low light, much slower for me than the 35L. But what I'm not happy about is the bokeh rendition. It can get quite nervous under certain circumstances, to the point where it gives the optical illusion of movement. It's very disconcerting to me and it probably why I'll be sticking with the 35L. The 35L for me just gives a more pleasant image, CA aside, with a smoother bokeh across the wider f-stops (f/1.4-f/2). I must also note that the nervous bokeh does appear on both background and foreground bokeh....

Dec 26, 2012 at 03:15 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.25 #15 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

tbkphotoco wrote:
So I'm about at the 4 week mark with my evaluation of the Sigma. Overall impressions are quite positive. Very sharp. Great build quality. Great autofocusing in good light. Somewhat slow in low light, much slower for me than the 35L. But what I'm not happy about is the bokeh rendition. It can get quite nervous under certain circumstances, to the point where it gives the optical illusion of movement. It's very disconcerting to me and it probably why I'll be sticking with the 35L. The 35L for me just gives a more pleasant image, CA aside, with a smoother
...Show more

It's rather funny and strange when some of the people in the thread like you, just joined FM!! And only have been posting in this thread!! And every post is about the Sigma lens being less good that the 35L

Dec 26, 2012 at 03:23 AM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.25 #16 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

35 w/vsco processing

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    35mm    f/1.4    1/60s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    35mm    f/1.4    1/250s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    35mm    f/1.4    1/1600s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    35mm    f/1.4    1/1000s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on Dec 26, 2012 at 03:32 AM · View previous versions

Dec 26, 2012 at 03:29 AM
macrobild
• •
p.25 #17 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

tbkphotoco wrote:
So I'm about at the 4 week mark with my evaluation of the Sigma. Overall impressions are quite positive. Very sharp. Great build quality. Great autofocusing in good light. Somewhat slow in low light, much slower for me than the 35L. But what I'm not happy about is the bokeh rendition. It can get quite nervous under certain circumstances, to the point where it gives the optical illusion of movement. It's very disconcerting to me and it probably why I'll be sticking with the 35L. The 35L for me just gives a more pleasant image, CA aside, with a smoother bokeh across the wider f-stops (f/1.4-f/2). I must also note that the nervous bokeh does appear on both background and foreground bokeh....

please show me two exactly taken pictures from canon 35/1,4 and sigma 35/1.4

Edited on Dec 26, 2012 at 03:31 AM · View previous versions

Dec 26, 2012 at 03:30 AM
tbkphotoco

p.25 #18 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Are you serious? I've been reading this forum for years so I don't even want to hear it. I'm giving my personal opinion. I've said many of GREAT things about the lens.

Dec 26, 2012 at 03:31 AM
tbkphotoco

p.25 #19 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ajpphotos/8257023437/sizes/o/in/photostream/

Dec 26, 2012 at 03:32 AM
macrobild
• •
p.25 #20 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

yes I am when we are discussing subjective matters as bokeh.
My 35/1,4 from Canon is no master peace in" bokeh" so it would have been interesting to see how your 35 from sigma differ

Dec 26, 2012 at 03:37 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password